PC with VPN: How Do You Use VPN IP With PS4?

Uncle Kem

Not sure if this is the right place.

I followed a old tutorial of how to bridge my pc's wireless internet connection with my built in ethernet port which I have the ethernet port currently connected to the PS4 via Ethernet cord.

I'm just wondering why my VPN (ExpressVPN) isn't working to supply my PS4 with a connection or (IP address).

Do I need an additional Ethernet card separate from the built in Ethernet port? or do I need another VPN?

I would like to play a game without the wannabe hackers booting me offline for number of hours. 

Enabling Network Sharing isn't something I've done in a very long time but I still remember the gist of it.

Has your VPN been a recent addition to your laptop? It could be a conflict in how the VPN works and how Network sharing is kind of 1/2 NAT or NAT with a static route to the local network via the Wi-Fi adapter.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Enabling Network Sharing isn't something I've done in a very long time but I still remember the gist of it.

Has your VPN been a recent addition to your laptop? It could be a conflict in how the VPN works and how Network sharing is kind of 1/2 NAT or NAT with a static route to the local network via the Wi-Fi adapter.

My VPN has been a recent addition, I just got it today for a month to test it out on my desktop.

It is a dynamic IP from the modem but the IP changes maybe every 4 months and wouldn't change for another 6 months after that, its Fido home internet.

ExpressVPN was just a test to see if I could bridge my wifi and Ethernet port and still activate the VPN to secure somewhat a IP address.

It is a PS4 and the hardware isn't too good but its not bad, I just don't know the hardware too well. Hopefully I could pick up a PS5 in the future and use the VPN.

Maybe I might need another Ethernet card? or is it just the VPN?

I couldn't find another tutorial which explains wireless connection to the desktop and ethernet cord from pc to ps4 wtih the ExpressVPN.

If the ExpressVPN client has a setting to "allow LAN traffic" disable that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

If the ExpressVPN client has a setting to "allow LAN traffic" disable that.

I checked the settings and its very basic and there doesn't seem to be that setting in there that I can see.

I even tried to use Speedify and I can't seem to get anything to work.

Maybe it's the PS4 sharing the connection with my pc's WiFi through the built in ethernet port.

I tried a bunch of tutorials but I think I'll just give up on trying soon. 😞

• 3 weeks later...

I use the exact same setup as you and it works.

Basically I use my PC as an one-armed router. The PC IP acts as a second gateway that receives packets from consoles and send them over VPN.

To do the setup all you need to do is allow LAN on ExpressVPN, open control panel to where it shows all your network adapters, select the ExpressVPN virtual adapter that you will be using (you'll see several, to determine which one is being used, connect to VPN and see which one is active).

Right click that one, select share and choose which network adapter to share it over. You can even share it on the same ethernet adapter that your PC uses, which is why it is called one-armed router.

Once shared, ICS will mess your internet connection up by manually set up IP, go to the settings of your ethernet adapter, restore all automatic IPv4 settings.

Then you just set up manual IP on your consoles. Set your console IP to the same as it would be on DHCP, or set it to some other LAN IP that you know won't have any conflict. Set the gateway as the network adapter's IP you choose to share ExpressVPN adapter over. Then the DNS will be just any public DNS, for example 8.8.8.8

One weird quirk is that every time you restart the PC, the ICS will fail, you need to disable sharing and reenable it.