Need help with speakers recommendation for a projector

Romano

Hi,

This is the measurement of my room:

15 ft deep (have in mind that the desk measures 3 ft) meaning the room deep is reduced to 12 ft
10'8 ft wide

Roof height left side: 10'8 ft
Roof height right side: 8ft

I currently use the two speakers that are below the desk, those are very loud but I don't think they sound good, each one is self powered and I often have issues with the left and right balance. its basically two big woofers (15") and a small but very loud tweeter or horn, I believe those are more like "party" speakers.

I'm aware a receiver will be needed, I have zero experience with this stuff, but I would like the option to have 2 subs in case 1 is not enough for my taste.

I was looking at this configuration: 

image.png.0dcbde3df71e581b4ba5cc4a3344ae82.png

Like I said I'm noob at this but I think bookshelf speakers would not be enough loud? a wall mount would be necessary as I don't have where to put them and those shelfs on my room pic it would be behind the projector screen but I'm open to recommendations.

image.png.7c61c6fc5a72bce4a4be2cc8dc4102ee.png

Any help will be much appreciated Thanks!

b.jpg

a.jpg

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

It all kinda depends on the budget you have. I'd say if it fits in your budget definitely go KEF for the bookshelfs (the new subs they make are great but really expensive) Honesly I would recommend looking for second-hand speakers. Often a great deal but make sure you can listen to them.

Other than brands, personally I prefer bookshelfs with sub (or maybe a standmount speaker) over a tower speaker. Usually they are just better untill you get to a certain price point.

3 minutes ago, DamirB said:

It all kinda depends on the budget you have. I'd say if it fits in your budget definitely go KEF for the bookshelfs (the new subs they make are great but really expensive) Honesly I would recommend looking for second-hand speakers. Often a great deal but make sure you can listen to them.

Other than brands, personally I prefer bookshelfs with sub (or maybe a standmount speaker) over a tower speaker. Usually they are just better untill you get to a certain price point.

I can't go with anything second hand, I'm from Venezuela and having second hand is to risky for me because I would not be able to return it, I usually purchase at amazon and use a freight forwarder to send the purchases to my country.

I forgot to mention I'm trying to have just 2 speakers (2.1) so going with the bookshelf's would mean the flood-standing speakers wouldn't go.

About the budget: $900 is the max I would go.

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

In addition, bookshelfs will be plenty loud for this room I'd say. If wallmounting I would recommend porting the plugs at least a bit to prevent boomy bass, front ported (or sealed) speakers would be best

1 minute ago, Romano said:

I can't go with anything second hand, I'm from Venezuela and having second hand is to risky for me because I would not be able to return it, I usually purchase at amazon and use a freight forwarder to send the purchases to my country.

I forgot to mention I'm trying to have just 2 speakers (2.1) so going with the bookshelf's would mean the flood-standing speakers wouldn't go.

About the budget: $900 is the max I would go.

There's no local marketplace to check for good second hand deals? If you can check before buying returning would not be an issue right? 

If sound quality is the main priority I'd say maybe go for a pair of KEF Q150's since they're on promo quite often. Onkyo recently went bankrupt so that might be a good amplifier deal. Dali has some good budget subwoofers, maybe Polk or Edifier for a sub.

1 minute ago, DamirB said:

In addition, bookshelfs will be plenty loud for this room I'd say. If wallmounting I would recommend porting the plugs at least a bit to prevent boomy bass, front ported (or sealed) speakers would be best

I was looking at this type of mounts:

image.png.adfb69958806861d1f114f104a5d130a.png

For this area: (the sides)

image.png.76d9828ca8d1a3a0d5224a94a9036524.png

Just now, DamirB said:

There's no local marketplace to check for good second hand deals? If you can check before buying returning would not be an issue right? 

If sound quality is the main priority I'd say maybe go for a pair of KEF Q150's since they're on promo quite often. Onkyo recently went bankrupt so that might be a good amplifier deal. Dali has some good budget subwoofers, maybe Polk or Edifier for a sub.

The local marketplace of good speakers is virtually zero, I live in a very small town and its usually cheaper to buy in the US new than used here, the same config here would cost around $1600 or more.

Whats your recommendation on the receiver? I would like to be able to have two subs in case one is not enough (my current speakers have 2 woofers) and I'm used to it.

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

23 hours ago, Romano said:

I was looking at this type of mounts:

image.png.adfb69958806861d1f114f104a5d130a.png

For this area: (the sides)

image.png.76d9828ca8d1a3a0d5224a94a9036524.png

The local marketplace of good speakers is virtually zero, I live in a very small town and its usually cheaper to buy in the US new than used here, the same config here would cost around $1600 or more.

Whats your recommendation on the receiver? I would like to be able to have two subs in case one is not enough (my current speakers have 2 woofers) and I'm used to it.

Those wallmounts look good.

Honeslty for receiver I wouldn't spent extra for something that has two sub-outs. Some have it, some don't but don't pay extra for it. dual-subs is rarely worth it. 

If the kef's are a bit too pricy (they're on promo often though) maybe Klipsch or Magnat has some good deals.

19 hours ago, DamirB said:

Those wallmounts look good.

Honeslty for receiver I wouldn't spent extra for something that has two sub-outs. Some have it, some don't but don't pay extra for it. dual-subs is rarely worth it. 

If the kef's are a bit too pricy (they're on promo often though) maybe Klipsch or Magnat has some good deals.

Can you list a configuration that doesn't go past $900 that is also available on Amazon?

Speakers, Sub, Receiver and any other else needed.

Just for movies, the projector screen is 110"

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, Romano said:

Hi,

This is the measurement of my room:

15 ft deep (have in mind that the desk measures 3 ft) meaning the room deep is reduced to 12 ft
10'8 ft wide

Roof height left side: 10'8 ft
Roof height right side: 8ft

I currently use the two speakers that are below the desk, those are very loud but I don't think they sound good, each one is self powered and I often have issues with the left and right balance. its basically two big woofers (15") and a small but very loud tweeter or horn, I believe those are more like "party" speakers.

I'm aware a receiver will be needed, I have zero experience with this stuff, but I would like the option to have 2 subs in case 1 is not enough for my taste.

I was looking at this configuration: 

image.png.0dcbde3df71e581b4ba5cc4a3344ae82.png

Like I said I'm noob at this but I think bookshelf speakers would not be enough loud? a wall mount would be necessary as I don't have where to put them and those shelfs on my room pic it would be behind the projector screen but I'm open to recommendations.

image.png.7c61c6fc5a72bce4a4be2cc8dc4102ee.png

Any help will be much appreciated Thanks!

b.jpg

a.jpg

I recently bought myself a set of loudspeaker for a room approximately the same size as yours. A good set of bookshelves speakers is probably loud enough. Especially if you add a subwoofer because bass is often lacking in smaller format speakers.

Cant help you decide though, I'm in France and procings differs a lot between here and the US