Asus Z490 board BIOS update help and tips?

Hello forums,

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus XII Z490 Apex motherboard and I have always wanted to update the BIOS on a motherboard, mainly due to my interest in computers and I havent ever done anything like it before, driver updates tops so I wanted to ask what would be the best / most up to date BIOS to update to, anything to watch out for and any tips you guys may have?

Thanks

e.

1 minute ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Hello forums,

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus XII Z490 Apex motherboard and I have always wanted to update the BIOS on a motherboard, mainly due to my interest in computers and I havent ever done anything like it before, driver updates tops so I wanted to ask what would be the best / most up to date BIOS to update to, anything to watch out for and any tips you guys may have?

Thanks

e.

Only update the BIOS if you HAVE to, or else any incorrect steps might result to your system being bricked. The newest BIOS version for your motherboard is Ver.2601. https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xii-apex-model/helpdesk_bios
Tips and reminders:
1. Make sure power is stable
2. DO NOT unplug the USB when flashing
3. Don't mess anything up.

MANN IM DEADDDDD

If you don't need something from the newest BIOS, it's safer to leave it as is. BIOS updates aren't something to casually update like a new version of Chrome, they pose a risk of permanently bricking your motherboard if something goes wrong. It's a small risk, but it's there.

If you're still dead set on it, go to your motherboard's software page on ASUS' website and grab the BIOS update. It will have instructions on how to install it. Follow the directions and pay attention to the warnings.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just update ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

There is the concern of bios brick due to flash gone wrong like poweroff in the middle of flashing, though you can use a bios programmer (ch341a) + bios test clip to unbrick or if thats unreliable asf you can desonler the bios chip and solder it onto a bios progammer

NO permaneant brick is not possible due to being able to reprogram the bios chip manually and YES it is possible to recover the board from a bad flash

I update my bioses with no care at all since i either have dualbios or socketed bios so very easy to recover, even with single bios i still dont give a crap about bricking cause i know i can just desolder the bios chip and itll be fine (though ill need a heatgun)

The reason i play around with bios updates is just purely for overclocking, basically the reason i keep my ep45 ds4p on the older f7 bios rather than the newest f9a bios, otherwise i wouldnt bother updating if it doesnt bring any potential improvement in oc

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

If you don't need something from the newest BIOS, it's safer to leave it as is. BIOS updates aren't something to casually update like a new version of Chrome, they pose a risk of permanently bricking your motherboard if something goes wrong. It's a small risk, but it's there.

If you're still dead set on it, go to your motherboard's software page on ASUS' website and grab the BIOS update. It will have instructions on how to install it. Follow the directions and pay attention to the warnings.

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just update ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

There is the concern of bios brick due to flash gone wrong like poweroff in the middle of flashing, though you can use a bios programmer (ch341a) + bios test clip to unbrick or if thats unreliable asf you can desonler the bios chip and solder it onto a bios progammer

NO permaneant brick is not possible due to being able to reprogram the bios chip manually and YES it is possible to recover the board from a bad flash

I update my bioses with no care at all since i either have dualbios or socketed bios so very easy to recover, even with single bios i still dont give a crap about bricking cause i know i can just desolder the bios chip and itll be fine (though ill need a heatgun)

The reason i play around with bios updates is just purely for overclocking, basically the reason i keep my ep45 ds4p on the older f7 bios rather than the newest f9a bios, otherwise i wouldnt bother updating if it doesnt bring any potential improvement in oc

not everyone has a heatgun, dualbios or any of that, my mobo has none ;-;

MANN IM DEADDDDD

Just now, TechnoCin said:

not everyone has a heatgun, dualbios or any of that, my mobo has none ;-;

If you wanna take the incredibly small risk of updating bios then go ahead, remember all you need is just a cheap bios programmer (ch341a) + bios test clip to reflash, if that is not working at all because these test clips really suck and are terrible at their job most of the time then you can desolder the chip instead and solder on to the programmer to reprogram

Just check on asus's site. Put it on a thumb drive and go into the bios and use the ez flash.
Unless you have asus suite installed, do it on there. 
You can also reference the manual that has a step-by-step instruction of what to do and not do.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz