No video output after uninstalling the gpu drivers

I tried to setup a dual monitor setup by connecting one monitor into the HDMI port of the GPU and the other monitor into the display port of the GPU.

The monitor that was connected via display port only showed a blank screen so I though that uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU drivers might solve this issue. I used the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). I also disabled integrated graphics in the BIOS before that.

Now both screens don't display anything. Not even the American megatrends bios thingy. This is not my photo BTW.

Even a monitor connected into the motherboard's HDMI port doesn't display anything. I even removed the CMOS battery for five minutes and put it back in the PC to no avail.

PC specs:

Windows 11

I7- 8700

8 GB DDR4 RAM

Aorus Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)

Chieftec GPA-500S8 500W PSU

ASUS VY249HE Monitor 2x

Edit: A quick rundown of everything I tried so far.

I unplugged both of the drives and powered on the PC. Then the computer said: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Then I plugged in a USB with Xubuntu Linux on it and both of the monitors worked. Then I unplugged the USB, restarted the PC and then both of the monitors worked. Then I restarted the PC again and this time both of the monitors are blank again but now even unplugging the drives does nothing.

Edit 2: after a couple dozen of restarts or so one of the monitors finally works again. Now I've made backups of all of my important files in case I won't be able to boot up my PC again after shutting it down.

15 minutes ago, __jf____ said:

I tried to setup a dual monitor setup by connecting one monitor into the HDMI port of the GPU and the other monitor into the display port of the GPU.

The monitor that was connected via display port only showed a blank screen so I though that uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU drivers might solve this issue. I used the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). I also disabled integrated graphics in the BIOS before that.

Now both screens don't display anything. Not even the American megatrends bios thingy. This is not my photo BTW.

Even a monitor connected into the motherboard's HDMI port doesn't display anything. I even removed the CMOS battery for five minutes and put it back in the PC to no avail.

PC specs:

Windows 11

I7- 8700

8 GB DDR4 RAM

Aorus Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)

Chieftec GPA-500S8 500W PSU

ASUS VY249HE Monitor 2x

Install might have gone badly.  A corruption in the new file could cause that.  DDU is a hairy low level program.  It’s important that the instructions for using it be followed.  Did you?  One way to force basic video might be to simply disconnect the hard drive so the board has to default to its internal stuff.  Assuming your monitor will handle basic video signal in the first place.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 minutes ago, __jf____ said:

I even removed the CMOS battery for five minutes and put it back in the PC to no avail.

You have to also unplug the machine.

20 minutes ago, __jf____ said:

Even a monitor connected into the motherboard's HDMI port doesn't display anything.

This will only work if you also remove the 1060.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

23 minutes ago, __jf____ said:

If it doesn't display the BIOS screen and did before, that has nothing to do with drivers in Windows. The drivers are a red herring. Something else is wrong/misconfigured.

1 minute ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

This will only work if you also remove the 1060.

It worked just fine before all of this.

A week ago I bought these two monitors but because I'm a moron I forgot to check if my GPU even has two HDMI ports. It only has one HDMI and three Display Ports. So I plugged one monitor into the GPU via HDMI and another one into the motherboard via HDMI. That setup worked perfectly fine.

Today I bought a HDMI to Display Port cable and used it to connect a monitor to the GPU that was connected to the motherboard before that.

The display then didn't show anything after that and you already know the rest.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Install might have gone badly.  A corruption in the new file could cause that.  DDU is a hairy low level program.  It’s important that the instructions for using it be followed.  Did you?  One way to force basic video might be to simply disconnect the hard drive so the board has to default to its internal stuff.  Assuming your monitor will handle basic video signal in the first place.

I powered the PC down, unplugged both the SSD and the HDD and turned the computer on. Now one of the monitors works and says:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Edit: the issue happened again after restarting my PC but this time even unplugging the drives does nothing.

6 minutes ago, __jf____ said:

It worked just fine before all of this.

A week ago I bought these two monitors but because I'm a moron I forgot to check if my GPU even has two HDMI ports. It only has one HDMI and three Display Ports. So I plugged one monitor into the GPU via HDMI and another one into the motherboard via HDMI. That setup worked perfectly fine.

Today I bought a HDMI to Display Port cable and used it to connect a monitor to the GPU that was connected to the motherboard before that.

The display then didn't show anything after that and you already know the rest.

Cable could be bad.  It happens.  Not very often, but it happens.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, __jf____ said:

I powered the PC down, unplugged both the SSD and the HDD and turned the computer on. Now one of the monitors works and says:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Well there you go.  If it didn’t work then did when you pulled the drive it’s something on the drive. 

13 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

If it doesn't display the BIOS screen and did before, that has nothing to do with drivers in Windows. The drivers are a red herring. Something else is wrong/misconfigured.

Bioses will sometimes use the drivers on disk if they can reach them.  That’s why pull the drive.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well there you go.  If it didn’t work then did when you pulled the drive it’s something on the drive. 

Bioses will sometimes use the drivers on disk if they can reach them.  That’s why pull the drive.

I just happened to have an USB drive laying around with Xubuntu Linux distro installed on it so I plugged it into the PC and booted Xubuntu from it via the live environment.

Both of the displays worked perfectly fine so I powered down the computer. After that I plugged in both of the drives and I was able to boot into Windows just fine.

One of the displays still doesn't work but it worked just fine on Linux.

Well at least I can actually use my computer now.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: after I left my computer on for around 15 minutes the other monitor started to work just fine while both being plugged into the GPU. I don't have a single idea as to why everything just works right now but I'm happy with it nonetheless.

Edit 2: after I restarted the computer both monitors are blank. However this time even unplugging the drives does nothing. 😕

Edit 3: after a couple dozen of restarts or so one of the monitors finally works again. Now I've made backups of all of my important files in case I won't be able to boot up my PC again after shutting it down.

4 hours ago, __jf____ said:

I just happened to have an USB drive laying around with Xubuntu Linux distro installed on it so I plugged it into the PC and booted Xubuntu from it via the live environment.

Both of the displays worked perfectly fine so I powered down the computer. After that I plugged in both of the drives and I was able to boot into Windows just fine.

One of the displays still doesn't work but it worked just fine on Linux.

Well at least I can actually use my computer now.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: after I left my computer on for around 15 minutes the other monitor started to work just fine while both being plugged into the GPU. I don't have a single idea as to why everything just works right now but I'm happy with it nonetheless.

Edit 2: after I restarted the computer both monitors are blank. However this time even unplugging the drives does nothing. 😕

Edit 3: after a couple dozen of restarts or so one of the monitors finally works again. Now I've made backups of all of my important files in case I won't be able to boot up my PC again after shutting it down.

Good idea.  That it could work once in a couple dozen tries is in itself weird.  It should work 100% of the time or 0% of the time.  Does it fail if you also pull the video card and try to use the iGPU?

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Good idea.  That it could work once in a couple dozen tries is in itself weird.  It should work 100% of the time or 0% of the time.  Does it fail if you also pull the video card and try to use the iGPU?

When I unplugged the GPU and used the iGPU nothing failed, even after multiple restarts.

Then I plugged in the GPU again and now both monitors work after multiple restarts.

Hopefully now things will work from now on.

4 hours ago, __jf____ said:

When I unplugged the GPU and used the iGPU nothing failed, even after multiple restarts.

Then I plugged in the GPU again and now both monitors work after multiple restarts.

Hopefully now things will work from now on.

If they work normally from now on it’s likely because the last restart you did included something different than the others.  Computers, or anything digital, aren’t normally a sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t kind of thing.