Did one of your GPUs ever die ? How long did you ever use a GPU at maximum ? What might be the expected total lifespan of GPUs under use today ?

I have a Core i5-4460 CPU, 2x4GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 rev 2.1 motherboard, and a GTX 750 Ti GPU, and my GPU isn't working as expected anymore with the overclock I used to run it with, so I'm considering getting a better GPU like a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1650 or RX 470 or RX 570 or upgrading my CPU+motherboard+RAM also and getting an even better GPU.

Among the GPU options I mentioned, I can find GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1650 with a 2 year warranty as usual but I guess the only GPU that can really be brand new among these would be the GTX 1650, and once a 7 year old NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT of mine stopped functioning, but my monitor supports Freesync and I can find much better deals on used parts, especially for RX 470 and RX 570.

I can test used GPU deals for 2 or 14 days within an unconditional return warranty depending on the kind of deal I choose, so I can even test them with an overclock and return them losing only a very small fee if I don't like the results.

RX 6400 doesn't run fine on PCIe 2.0 lanes that my motherboard has, so I'm not considering it.

I'm not considering significantly better GPUs because they would have to work with a bottleneck in general.

I'm not considering worse GPUs because game system requirements center around a GTX 960 2GB to GTX 960 4GB which performs almost the same as a GTX 1050 Ti, so anything less than that means not utilizing the optimal potential of this PC.

I'm only considering GPUs with at least a DirectX 12 support with feature level 12_0 or better and I'm only considering GPUs that are still being supported for new drivers optimized for new games thinking there might be problems otherwise.

I think I can use this PC 5 more years with one of those GPUs but I don't want to be spending money on a GPU that is likely to fail sooner.

I hope you won't torture me for being an extremely low end gamer but I need to be thrift and I think the best decision relies upon this information. Please correct me if you know something I should know.

Did one of your GPUs ever die ? How long did it take ?

How long did you ever use a GPU at maximum ?

What might be the expected total lifespan of GPUs under use today, especially the ones I mentioned ?

Do you think the next generation of GPUs might have products that have a similar performance to a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1650 or RX 470 or RX 570 ?

What might be the expected lifespan of motherboards, CPUs and RAM sticks under use today, especially the ones I mentioned ? Do you think my PC could survive another 5 years of my use with one of those GPUs ? I'm usually on my PC when I'm awake but I maybe in total play games 3-6 hours a day.

Thanks for your attention !

I had a Radeon 1950GT that had popped capacitors several times and it kept running, just much less stable before the caps are replaced, but that was more than 10 years ago.

After that I never had any electronics fail on me apart from a Seagate SSHD.

My usual workload is flight simulator running up to 12 hours at a time or scientific computing overnight. My last GPU, a 1060 6GB worked fine from before the mining rush to I got a 3080 last month.

24 minutes ago, Idleavemypcwhenitdies said:

I have a Core i5-4460 CPU, 2x4GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 rev 2.1 motherboard, and a GTX 750 Ti GPU, and my GPU isn't working as expected anymore with the overclock I used to run it with, so I'm considering getting a better GPU like a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1650 or RX 470 or RX 570 or upgrading my CPU+motherboard+RAM also and getting an even better GPU.

Among the GPU options I mentioned, I can find GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1650 with a 2 year warranty as usual but I guess the only GPU that can really be brand new among these would be the GTX 1650, and once a 7 year old NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT of mine stopped functioning, but my monitor supports Freesync and I can find much better deals on used parts, especially for RX 470 and RX 570.

I can test used GPU deals for 2 or 14 days within an unconditional return warranty depending on the kind of deal I choose, so I can even test them with an overclock and return them losing only a very small fee if I don't like the results.

RX 6400 doesn't run fine on PCIe 2.0 lanes that my motherboard has, so I'm not considering it.

I'm not considering significantly better GPUs because they would have to work with a bottleneck in general.

I'm not considering worse GPUs because game system requirements center around a GTX 960 2GB to GTX 960 4GB which performs almost the same as a GTX 1050 Ti, so anything less than that means not utilizing the optimal potential of this PC.

I'm only considering GPUs with at least a DirectX 12 support with feature level 12_0 or better and I'm only considering GPUs that are still being supported for new drivers optimized for new games thinking there might be problems otherwise.

I think I can use this PC 5 more years with one of those GPUs but I don't want to be spending money on a GPU that is likely to fail sooner.

I hope you won't torture me for being an extremely low end gamer but I need to be thrift and I think the best decision relies upon this information. Please correct me if you know something I should know.

What might be the expected total lifespan of GPUs under use today, especially the ones I mentioned ?

Do you think the next generation of GPUs might have products that have a similar performance to a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1650 or RX 470 or RX 570 ?

What might be the expected lifespan of motherboards, CPUs and RAM sticks under use today, especially the ones I mentioned ? Do you think my PC could survive another 5 years of my use with one of those GPUs ? I'm usually on my PC when I'm awake but I maybe in total play games 3-6 hours a day.

My first (self built PC) GPU died in 4 years (GTX 460 OC) from kinda obscure brand (Digital Alliance)
Switched to MSI GTX 660 OC version, still running fine right now. Been like 6 year-ish.
I don't apply manual OC often.

Expected lifespan? Brand new, probably 4-5 years. But I believe that's under standard use.

What do you mean similar performance as those old ones?
Did you mean a lower tier/entry level model ? there will be. There's RTX3050, which should be the continuation of the Nvidia xx50 series.

What does your motherboard,ram, cpu lifespan has to do with what GPU you use?
Do I think your PC could survive? did you mean it won't break?  Maybe. But again, usage method pretty much play a part in it.
I mean, my i7-870 still running okay after 10 years. In that total span of time, one of the 2 ram stick died (at 5th/6th year), GPU died (at 4th year), 2x HDD died (forgot when).

Can it handle future games ? depend on the game. Indie low spec game? sure.

I still use this PC to play games, just not high graphic / high cpu ones.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

My Asus 7850 DC2 got borked after around 4 years I think. Is the only video card I had that died. It ran overclocked for every single second of use lol. I played a lot of games at the time too. First one of the fans exploded due to bearings going bad and it hit something inside the shroud causing catastrophic failure of the fan, load sound of colliding fan blades and said shattered fan blades spread all over the insides of my PC. I replaced the fans but after a while the card only spat out a black screen when putting load on it. It worked without drivers but installing drivers provided the black screen again. Replaced by 1050ti.

1 hour ago, Idleavemypcwhenitdies said:

Don't sweat it, man: that's the beauty of PC gaming. It's for everyone.

1 hour ago, Idleavemypcwhenitdies said:

My current PC is 8 years old: i5 4690k, 8 GB RAM 2400MHz, R9 270x 4GB, MB ASUS Z97 pro (WiFi). It worked flawlessly for those 8 years until the graphics card died a couple months ago.

That is the sort of life time I expect from a PC (8 years is maybe pushing it, but let's say 4-5 minimum).

Also, mind you, I got that PC taking into account that I don't play the most recent games, and only at 1080p. I never overclocked anything. I dabbled into mining for 2 days in total.

Recently I bought a 3070 with the exact same intent: I expect it to last at least 5 years of respectable gaming.

Manufacturers are always pushing out budget cards but you have to be careful not to get something that's VERY underpowered for a price that doesn't reflect that. The GPU market nowadays is ripe with cards which are priced way above their performance, especially at the lower end.

That being said, the 10-series nvidias still offer a great perfomance nowadays, if you can get a good deal on them. Check out the many (recent!!) reviews online.

4x GPU in the past 10 years, none of them died under my hand.. yet. All overclocked, overvolted/undervolted. 

My current 980 Ti going 6 years now, powered by a 10 years old D Tier PSU. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Idleavemypcwhenitdies said:

Depends on your definition of die. I've had GPUs which had fans fail, but the rest was ok. They took some creative modification to fit alternate fans.

If we're talking about dead silicon, not exactly. I did sell a 1070 about a year ago. Found out later the buyer said it died about a month after I sold it to them. They didn't kick a fuss. It's just a risk any old device may fail any time without warning. So that would have been around 5 years old at the time.

For usage, I don't generally worry about it. Early life it was in my VR system so only had occasional use. Later on I used it a bit for the early mining boom. Probably folded and other distributed computing projects on it, on and off over the years. If I expect to do long sustained use, I often will apply a lower power limit than default. If nothing else, it reduces the noise!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Can't say i've had a GPU ever die on me. About the closest I came was having to replace the stock cooler on an old AMD 5870, and the fans died on my 7950, which I managed to replace fairly easy. Never really played with overclocking on a GPU as I typically only play @ 1080P and 60fps is fine for me.