ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E not reading memory

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
On 7/6/2022 at 10:14 PM, bluesummer said:

It no longer POSTs and I get Q Code 55, which indicates there is no memory installed.

It is listed as "memory not installed", but it's actually an initialization error.

Perhaps try to reseat the CPU as suggested. It sucks, but it's about the #1 cause of no post with LGA socketed chips. (welcome AMD to the club coming soon). This sometimes happens right away and over time. The cooler mounted to the board flexes the PCB. Causing pins to no longer make adequate contact.

If you've reseated the cpu, then I would say to swap to a different processor to determine if the board has an issue or not. 

My motherboard isn’t reading my memory, even though I’ve made sure it’s seated properly. It’s POSTed before with that same kit, and I’ve tried another kit entirely and it’s no longer working. I’ve made no changes to the build at all. It no longer POSTs and I get Q Code 55, which indicates there is no memory installed. I don’t know what could be causing this or what happened. Please help!

Did you clear cmos during the swap? 

Maybe newer Motherboards have technology so you don't need to do this, but I know on for a fact that on older PC's you needed to clear the CMOS before installing, or changing the RAM so that the BIOS can build a new CMOS table for that new RAM that you installed.

4 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

4 hours ago, alex.ausmus said:

Maybe newer Motherboards have technology so you don't need to do this, but I know on for a fact that on older PC's you needed to clear the CMOS before installing, or changing the RAM so that the BIOS can build a new CMOS table for that new RAM that you installed.

I'll try clearing CMOS

On 7/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, alex.ausmus said:

On 7/6/2022 at 8:39 PM, Guest 5150 said:

Clearing CMOS didn’t fix it

On 7/6/2022 at 10:14 PM, bluesummer said:

It no longer POSTs and I get Q Code 55, which indicates there is no memory installed.

It is listed as "memory not installed", but it's actually an initialization error.

Perhaps try to reseat the CPU as suggested. It sucks, but it's about the #1 cause of no post with LGA socketed chips. (welcome AMD to the club coming soon). This sometimes happens right away and over time. The cooler mounted to the board flexes the PCB. Causing pins to no longer make adequate contact.

If you've reseated the cpu, then I would say to swap to a different processor to determine if the board has an issue or not. 

5 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Reseating it worked great! Just to be sure I tried it with an extra 10900k I had and it worked flawlessly. Thanks!!