My thermal paste hasn't arrived yet and I am ready to build my pc

Hi all 

My thermal paste hasn't arrived yet and all the other components have is there any easily sauceable substitute to it that I can use for a short time untill my thermal paste arrives? 

Your CPU cooler might come with pre-applied thermal paste or a syringe.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

if you just want to see if the CPU boots you could bare metal to the cooler but it's definitely not recommended and could cause damage if CPU overheats. You can do a quick power on, check post, power off. Surely if you buy boxed CPU it comes with a thermal paste/preapplied? Please just wait for thermal paste to arrive

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Is there thermal paste already on or provided with the cooler you're using? Unless you're reusing an old cooler there almost certainly is.

If you don't have thermal paste, just don't. There's no good substitute for thermal paste that you'd have in your house.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Actually no. I'm gonna go against the grain.

Yes, there is something else you can use.

Toothpaste + Petroleum Jelly

They try it in the first 5 minutes of this video.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Yeah, definitely wait. I booted an upgraded i7-2600 with no cooler or paste just to verify operation, but all I did was a quick boot, play some video clips and then shut it right back down. Even with a 4-core, 8-thread processor this was risky.  Don't run it without paste, you stand a high risk of overheating and unwarrantied damage.

Edited by An0maly_76

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Did you get the CPU brand new? If so, there should already be thermal paste on the stock cooler.

Did you get an aftermarket cooler? If so, there's probably either a small syringe or pouch of paste in with it, or the paste is already applied.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.