New PC Build won't turn on

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
9 hours ago, Abr0gate said:

I wasn't able to locate a BIOS version on the box, but it did state it was version 1.2 of the motherboard itself, and it is labeled as Ryzen 5000 ready. Does that help at all?

Unfortunately, "Ryzen 5000 series support" can mean multiple things. The Ryzen 5 4500 is supported by the motherboard with the right firmware, but this processor was actually released after AMD's full lineup of 5000 series CPUs. The webpage for the motherboard states that the BIOS version for the 5600X is F10, thus making it "Ryzen 5000 ready," but the 4500 is supported via the later F14 revision.

Fortunately for you, this motherboard offers Q-Flash Plus, which means it is able to flash the BIOS without a compatible CPU (you can even remove the CPU and ram, all you need is power for the BIOS flash). Read your manual for how to use Q-Flash Plus on this motherboard, and also look at a YouTube tutorial. Follow the instructions carefully and you should be able to update the motherboard as needed.

I just assembled my first PC build, and I'm having issues getting it to start up for the first time. All lights come on and all fans spin up except for the GPU ones, and I am not getting a video signal.

My build:

Ryzen 5 4500

Gigabyte A520I AC

2x 8 GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200

MSI RX 580

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

• Tried only one stick of ram at a time in each slot. Reseated the ram multiple times.
  • Reseated the GPU and all power connections.
  • Put the GPU in my other pre-built, which worked fine and the fans spun up right away
  • Tried a different PSU from my other PC

I've run out of ideas on what to try now, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Check your front panel header wiring connections, they are quite easy to get wrong and even one pin off can be a problem. Also, your board may need a BIOS update. Be sure all your power connections (24 pin ATX, 8-pin CPU), GPU 6 / 6+2 PCIe power are connected snugly. Check the simple stuff. I don't want to sound arrogant or treating you like an idiot, but sometimes the best of us forget little things like that. EDIT: If all that checks out, your PSU could have a problem, where not everything is getting the power it needs.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

20 minutes ago, Abr0gate said:

Gigabyte A520I AC

Is the BIOS version of this motherboard printed on the box? Usually gigabyte makes this visible on their boards.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Check your front panel header wiring connections, they are quite easy to get wrong and even one pin off can be a problem. Also, your board may need a BIOS update. Be sure all your power connections (24 pin ATX, 8-pin CPU), GPU 6 / 6+2 PCIe power are connected snugly. Check the simple stuff. I don't want to sound arrogant or treating you like an idiot, but sometimes the best of us forget little things like that. EDIT: If all that checks out, your PSU could have a problem, where not everything is getting the power it needs.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already tried all of those, and still have the same result. I had also already tried tried using a different, more powerful PSU and double checked connections, and still had the same result. Do you have any other ideas?

14 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Is the BIOS version of this motherboard printed on the box? Usually gigabyte makes this visible on their boards.

I wasn't able to locate a BIOS version on the box, but it did state it was version 1.2 of the motherboard itself, and it is labeled as Ryzen 5000 ready. Does that help at all?

9 hours ago, Abr0gate said:

Unfortunately, "Ryzen 5000 series support" can mean multiple things. The Ryzen 5 4500 is supported by the motherboard with the right firmware, but this processor was actually released after AMD's full lineup of 5000 series CPUs. The webpage for the motherboard states that the BIOS version for the 5600X is F10, thus making it "Ryzen 5000 ready," but the 4500 is supported via the later F14 revision.

Fortunately for you, this motherboard offers Q-Flash Plus, which means it is able to flash the BIOS without a compatible CPU (you can even remove the CPU and ram, all you need is power for the BIOS flash). Read your manual for how to use Q-Flash Plus on this motherboard, and also look at a YouTube tutorial. Follow the instructions carefully and you should be able to update the motherboard as needed.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah, "5000 ready" simply means that is capable of working with the 5000-series processors, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to do it straight out of the box.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Unfortunately, Ryzen 5000 series support can mean multiple things. The Ryzen 5 4500 is supported by the motherboard with the right firmware but this processor was actually released after AMD's full lineup of 5000 series CPUs. The webpage for the motherboard states that the BIOS version for the 5600X is F10, thus making it "Ryzen 5000 ready," but the 4500 is supported via the later F14 revision.

Thank you so much for that info, it was just the BIOS update that was needed. That never crossed my mind