Music Composer PC – Old CPU… “new” GPU?

Hi guys,

Running an old i7-6700 with 32GB RAM for music production since 2006 and now I feel my CPU is reaching ~90% when opening some plugins (I don’t have a dedicated graphics Card…)

As I don’t have budget to upgrade the CPU/Motherboard I started searching for a GPU that wouldn’t be bottlenecked by my i7-6700, thinking that this may give more “space” to the current processor to work, not having to handle all graphics. It would be also good to have more power to render short videos...

I found a good deal on a used ASUS GTX 1050 Ti, but before buying I’d like your opinion… is this a complete wrong purchase? Will I just burn money without having any improvements?

Tks so much!

Thiago

Not sure what exactly you're doing down there, but it's probably mostly CPU based stuff. GPU wouldn't help outside of rendering videos, most likely. More details needed regarding the audio stuff.

I'm using plugins to produce and render music from MIDI and synth audio capture.

When playing the final tunes and I start mixing through the GUI I see CPU reaching ~75% and GPU ~25%..., therefore my idea to try to "easy" CPU's life adding a proper GPU.

Thks for helping!

22 hours ago, thiago.dalpoz said:

I'm using plugins to produce and render music from MIDI and synth audio capture.

When playing the final tunes and I start mixing through the GUI I see CPU reaching ~75% and GPU ~25%..., therefore my idea to try to "easy" CPU's life adding a proper GPU.

Thks for helping!

25% GPU is almost idle.

This looks like a CPU task. Get a better CPU to improve your performance.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

As far as I know music rendering is basically all cpu and mostly single core.