Nas build with some questions

Ryuikko

Budget (including currency): ~1000 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  dedicated Nas with ideally 16-20 tbs in raid 1 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi! I'm thinking about building a Nas just for some cold storage for pictures, projects and ect. I have some real old hardware i.e i5 2300, 2 2gb sticks of ram, and some random mobo, . My main question would be is would that be enough to run a Nas? If not what would be the minimum hardware for it?

Seems like seagates ironwolf pros would be a good idea because their non pro versions iirc have pretty loud operation

Not too familiar with this side of building so any insight would be much appreciated 

5 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

My main question would be is would that be enough to run a Nas?

sure. It just has to store and move files. You don't really need any sort of high end specs for that. Can basically use any computer that will run a modern OS.

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

sure. It just has to store and move files. You don't really need any sort of high end specs for that

Cool! I suppose that'll make my life a bit easier lol. Any suggestions for 4tb drives? 

If noise is a factor just a warning on Seagate IWP's from personal experience, I did find them a little noisier than WD Red Pro's and also ran hotter