5800x3D. Higher Clocks, less performance?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Welcome to clock stretching, the most annoying part about overclocking new hardware. Ryzen chips can do it with PBO and undervolting, Nvidia GPUs do it, Intel chips can do it on occasion, it's pretty common on new hardware, it just really sucks to deal with.

So my 5800x3D is on a 140mm AIO due to ITX reasons, so the stock temps were instantly 90c, not good.

This is why I undervolted, to get lower temps, and in turn better all core clocks.

At 1.144V (-0.075v) my allcore clocks were about 4.25ghz and cinebench R23 gave a score of 14200. Temps 75-80c.

But when I go lower, for example 1.08V (-0.15v), then my clockspeeds are about 4.35ghz, temps are 60-70c, BUT the score was only 12225, much lower. HWinfo also has an "average effective clock", which is really low at those settings.

What is going on? Is HWinfo just misreporting the clockspeeds, and they actually are 3.7ghz at 1.08v?

Using BIOS negative offset for undervolting btw.

image.png.a80859469d91db2806d1aba562baf51f.png

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Its more then likely boosting slightly higher but for much shorter because its power limited. Its seeing the temps are a bit lower so it tries to boost higher, but then it gets throttled by power or temps still.

140 AIO is simply not enough for this kind of CPU, i understand that you have an ITX situation, but you honestly should have planned that better if you intended to get the most out of it. Why not keep the old system in it and use it for something else and build a slightly bigger build that can have a 280mm AIO? 

Welcome to clock stretching, the most annoying part about overclocking new hardware. Ryzen chips can do it with PBO and undervolting, Nvidia GPUs do it, Intel chips can do it on occasion, it's pretty common on new hardware, it just really sucks to deal with.

Contrary to popular belief, undervolting is bad. You wont hurt anything, but you will give up performance.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

9 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Its more then likely boosting slightly higher but for much shorter because its power limited. Its seeing the temps are a bit lower so it tries to boost higher, but then it gets throttled by power or temps still.

140 AIO is simply not enough for this kind of CPU, i understand that you have an ITX situation, but you honestly should have planned that better if you intended to get the most out of it. Why not keep the old system in it and use it for something else and build a slightly bigger build that can have a 280mm AIO? 

I should have included in the first post that I don't want to hear any of this crap. It is a gaming CPU, in games it is 50-60C with 0.075v undervolt, boosts fine to 4.5ghz. Where is the problem?

In work tasks also, at 0.075v 80c is completely fine, and I am getting 4.25ghz, which again is totally safe, even at stock 90c is safe, but I was getting 3.9-4.0ghz, which was a bit low.

S0, YES 140mm is simply good enough, I was just asking why I was getting lower performance, when my clocks were up and temps down, and the other guy answered it, it has to do with clock stretching, looking into it now.

5 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Contrary to popular belief, undervolting is bad. You wont hurt anything, but you will give up performance.

Contrary to unpopular belief, at -0.075v my clockspeed is up 200mhz and temps are down 10c. I was asking about why it acts weird if I go further than that, and I got a really good reply with Bullzoid video showcasing the same behaviour, so looking into it now.

The 5800x3D has way too aggresive voltage curve, so up to a certain level you can undervolt with only benefits, no drawbacks.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

I was asking about why it acts weird if I go further than that.

Run something like Linpack Xtreme, and monitor your GFlop output. You will see what I am talking about.

Specifically the 10GB load. Clocks don't really mean much if it doesn't have the current to drive them.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143