I feel linus would like this video from ashville. All Britsh

I know Linus has been struggling with home automation equipment and i thought this was really interesting for anyone wanting to do the same 

Interesting, but a bit too late for Linus.
Plus, at 14:14 he says the exact thing Linus didn't want. You can't program it yourself. You need to go through a dealer. All you can do is basic stuff. The dealer needs to "activate" and "program" it for you.

15:28 on your way home, in the car, on your phone, scaring your wife at home by changing the light settings to "set the mood". 🤪

Big claims to say there's "security in place" that prevents hackers from getting in and see your cameras though. Even more so considering he says a dealer and the manufacturer can remote into it. If that isn't a security risk, I don't know what is.

He gave a few price points

Barebone voice assistant Alexa £30 + whatever craptastic light bulbs you get for it.

Single room about £5k.
Basic home about £20k.
Lots of shit about £80k. (sure jumped a lot eh... Floor heating I guess?)
Advanced lot of shit home with AC and garage doors at about £90k.

Honestly, looking at it... It seems to be quite similar to a PLC that you'd find in the industrial world, except made "prettier" and easier to use for the general consumer.
The fact that I saw a "controller" box in the rack means it's probably just that instead of the usual garbage glued together with a wifi/zigbee chip in it.
A lot of things can be done with a cheap used Omron PLC (programmed in Ladder, SFC or C) and wireless relays after all, as such many of their claims don't surprise me. Especially things like simple on/off switches, on a timer, etc. Only problem is that you wouldn't have an app for it, unless the relays have an app.
For things like opening the TV and switching to a specific show, though... or see the volume at which each devices are operating at... That I have no clue how it would work. Is it a smart TV feature?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 7/7/2022 at 4:52 AM, TetraSky said:

Advanced lot of shit home with AC and garage doors at about £90k.

At that price you could employ someone to do all that shit for you for 3 years. Longer if you're a dick about paying a decent wage...or shorter if you live a "NDA required" lifestyle.

3 hours ago, FlappyBoobs said:

At that price you could employ someone to do all that shit for you for 3 years. Longer if you're a dick about paying a decent wage...or shorter if you live a "NDA required" lifestyle.

You just described my childhood.  Dad would tell me to change the channel, turn on/off lights, etc and I'd have to get up and do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 5:08 PM, FlappyBoobs said:

lol i woudn`t mind AC rn Today its gonna be 42C in the UK for the first time ever 

On 7/7/2022 at 3:52 AM, TetraSky said:

Interesting, but a bit too late for Linus.
Plus, at 14:14 he says the exact thing Linus didn't want. You can't program it yourself. You need to go through a dealer. All you can do is basic stuff. The dealer needs to "activate" and "program" it for you.

15:28 on your way home, in the car, on your phone, scaring your wife at home by changing the light settings to "set the mood". 🤪

Big claims to say there's "security in place" that prevents hackers from getting in and see your cameras though. Even more so considering he says a dealer and the manufacturer can remote into it. If that isn't a security risk, I don't know what is.

He gave a few price points

Barebone voice assistant Alexa £30 + whatever craptastic light bulbs you get for it.

Single room about £5k.
Basic home about £20k.
Lots of shit about £80k. (sure jumped a lot eh... Floor heating I guess?)
Advanced lot of shit home with AC and garage doors at about £90k.

Honestly, looking at it... It seems to be quite similar to a PLC that you'd find in the industrial world, except made "prettier" and easier to use for the general consumer.
The fact that I saw a "controller" box in the rack means it's probably just that instead of the usual garbage glued together with a wifi/zigbee chip in it.
A lot of things can be done with a cheap used Omron PLC (programmed in Ladder, SFC or C) and wireless relays after all, as such many of their claims don't surprise me. Especially things like simple on/off switches, on a timer, etc. Only problem is that you wouldn't have an app for it, unless the relays have an app.
For things like opening the TV and switching to a specific show, though... or see the volume at which each devices are operating at... That I have no clue how it would work. Is it a smart TV feature?

There's an app for it. The system's manufacturer is "control 4", based in the USA, Draper, Utah. They call it OS3, and I am pretty sure the system he is reviewing is a pro package from them. In this case, Ashville is the dealer as control 4 recommends them in terms of purchasing.

The person's house they were reviewing was Yianni. He's a YouTuber who warps celebrities' cars, etc. 

I tend to trust Nashville just because of their construction industry portfolio, but I don't know in terms of smart home stuff, to be honest.

Am sure all the pricing and stuff is because of Ashville charging for all the labour for sure, ahahaha.