Omen X 65 Emperium borked by update to nvida shield

tim000x3

Sorry for the rant but, I'm losing my mind.

So a while back I bought the 65 inch BFGD with Nvidia shield built in. I love this monitor however, it recently received a forced over the air update and is behaving as if the Nvidia shield input is a stand alone Nvidia device.

The remote no longer pulls up the on-screen display and changing the volume shows an on-screen volume only on the Nvidia shield input. It no longer changes the device volume. I can no longer change the input via the remote. Even, if I bring up the on-screen display by pressing the control stick on the back of the monitor the remote can't control the on-screen display. I believe I somehow received an update for a standalone Nvidia device and there doesn't seem to be away to revert back.

I contacted HP and spent a few hours on the phone with them and they had no idea what I was talking about. At one point, one of the representatives after asking me to update the drivers and what operating system I was using told me that all software was created by Microsoft. I could not convince him otherwise. Eventually, one representative told me that the software on the monitor was controlled and created by Nvidia and the updates were pushed by them and there was nothing they could do.

I have been in contact with Nvidia. In my emails with them they have constantly tried to troubleshoot the remote itself or the HDMI connection. It is clear what they think I am asking them is why can't my Nvidia shield control the volume as if it were going over arc or something. I have tried to redirect the conversation multiple times. I am going mad. I own two of these monitors and they cost me $4000 a piece. I have no idea what to do.

To make matters worse, one of the monitors control stick on the back broken. So I can't change inputs or access any of the settings menus via the remote or the control stick.

If anyone has any idea what to do please let me know. I'm also happy to provide the emails I've had back-and-forth with Nvidia. As well as answer any questions that might help clarify the issue.

I'm having the same issue as well. Does anyone else have this issue?

• 10 months later...

I have been tearing my hair out for many months, and finally tonight I managed to downgrade both my Omen Emperium 65 monitors to Android 8.2.0 and the remote works perfectly.

To do it, you need:

So, install Fastboot/ADB, will default install to c:\ADB

Uncompress the - NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 Recovery OS Image version 8.2.0 file to the same folder (C:\ADB)

Plug Keyboard into the monitor into the USB port below the Ethernet port

Plug USBA cable into the 2nd port below where you plugged in the keyboard, and the other end into the USB 2.0 port on the PC

Unplug Monitor power plug (or switch off power point)

Hold down the A key and the B key on the keyboard

While holding the A+B, plug Monitor back in (or turn on PowerPoint)... keep holding down keys until fastboot menu comes up, then tap the down arrow on the keyboard and lift all your fingers off the keyboard. For some reason it would just reboot if I didn't press the down arrow first.

When fastboot menu is up let got of the keys and go to your PC/laptop

Open the command prompt (CMD)

Go to the ADB directory (type CD\ADB)

Then type the below in order one after another (waiting for them to finish each time)

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flash staging blob

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot flash system system.img

fastboot flash vendor vendor.img

fastboot oem lock

fastboot reboot

Once it reboots, you will have android 8.2.0 and the remote will work as it did when you first bought the monitor.