Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Outdated plan: 4K 120Hz capable SFF - i3 12100F?

Posted (edited)

Edit: Thanks to everyone who has contributed below, I've shown my partner your feedback and she has agreed a larger case seems to solve issues with temps and even cost, so this thread is no longer representative of the target.

I'll likely be back with the next version, so looking forward to your help then too ūüĎć

 

Budget (including currency): ~£1500 (some potential for flex as no rush)

Country: UK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SPSS (data analysis), Sibellius (Single core from research online), Escape from Tarkov, F1 2019/2020 (possibly more current as they come), Halo

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Have sourced a 3090 Ventus 3X @ £740, so remaining parts ideally ~£750. Otherwise, scratch build, targeting 4k 120Hz

 

Evening, I'm looking at building a PC for my partner. For a variety of reasons, she'll be gaming on the tv, hence the target resolution/refresh rate.

 

I'm largely wondering if saving money by going i3-12100F is going to be a sensible money save? From a couple googles/youtube searches, it seems at 4K the CPU may not be a bottleneck?

 

Equally, is going DDR5 actually likely sensible now/next couple months? I'd rather not rebuild next year so was thinking current gen might allow me to upgrade less often.

 

Thanks in advace

 

Potential plan: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Hellboar/saved/DbmRVn

Edited by TinkerBill
Updated system limitations
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

This build makes way... no sorry... WAY more sense. No need for Z690 nor DDR5. Use the money you save to get a better CPU.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£163.99 @ Box Limited) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler  (£49.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660I AORUS Pro DDR4 Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£187.99 @ Technextday) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (£77.97 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£106.88 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card  (Purchased For £740.00) 
Case: Silverstone FTZ01-E Mini ITX Desktop Case  (£135.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair TX750M Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£77.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1540.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-06 19:48 BST+0100

BabyBlu (Primary): 

  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200¬†@ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVME, 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB¬†(RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard:¬†Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Roxanne (Wife Build):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0GHz -¬†5.0GHz - 4.9GHz - 4.8GHz, Cache @ 4.6GHz, relidded with LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper¬†4x8GB DDR3-2400¬†@¬†10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with¬†LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

BigBox (HTPC):

  • CPU: Ryzen 5600G @ 4640MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600¬†@ 4400MHz 17-17-17-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC @ 1800MHz & .812V
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: Silicon Power A80 1TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600 Gold
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper with Noctua A12x15 PWM Chromax Black
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.2.2 Atmos setup.
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Harmonic (Game/Plex/Other Server):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard:¬†ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 48GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred
  • Storage: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent¬†1TB NVME, Blu-Ray Drive
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S with 2X Fractal Venturi HP-12
  • Keyboard/Mouse:¬†None
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

NAS:

  • Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB¬†usable space
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TinkerBill said:

Budget (including currency): ~£1500 (some potential for flex as no rush)

Country: UK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SPSS (data analysis), Sibellius (Single core from research online), Escape from Tarkov, F1 2019/2020 (possibly more current as they come), Halo

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Have sourced a 3090 Ventus 3X @ £740, so remaining parts ideally ~£750. Otherwise, scratch build, targeting 4k 120Hz

 

Evening, I'm looking at building a PC for my partner. For a variety of reasons, she'll be gaming on the tv, hence the target resolution/refresh rate.

 

I'm largely wondering if saving money by going i3-12100F is going to be a sensible money save? From a couple googles/youtube searches, it seems at 4K the CPU may not be a bottleneck?

 

Equally, is going DDR5 actually likely sensible now/next couple months? I'd rather not rebuild next year so was thinking current gen might allow me to upgrade less often.

 

Thanks in advace

 

Potential plan: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Hellboar/saved/DbmRVn

is the size of the nr200 ok?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

This build makes way... no sorry... WAY more sense. No need for Z690 nor DDR5. Use the money you save to get a better CPU.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£163.99 @ Box Limited) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler  (£49.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660I AORUS Pro DDR4 Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£187.99 @ Technextday) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (£77.97 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£106.88 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card  (Purchased For £740.00) 
Case: Silverstone FTZ01-E Mini ITX Desktop Case  (£135.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair TX750M Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£77.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1540.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-06 19:48 BST+0100

I understand the move to a higher CPU on paper, but I don't see why it's needed, can you clarify?
 

Yes, the Motherboard doesn't need to be a Z series, but it was the cheapest (by a few pennies) DDR5. On that, can you clarify DDR4 over 5?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, person123456789 said:

is the size of the nr200 ok?

NR200 case? Unfortunately the partner has laid out rather specific size needs and that won't fit. The size limit is from a shelf, 115mm tall... Otherwise I'd be going for something more sensible like that yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no sff case under 115mm tall that can fit your gpu

 

i am 100% sure of that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TinkerBill said:

I understand the move to a higher CPU on paper, but I don't see why it's needed, can you clarify?
 

Yes, the Motherboard doesn't need to be a Z series, but it was the cheapest (by a few pennies) DDR5. On that, can you clarify DDR4 over 5?

The build I put together will perform better for the same money than the one you originally had. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice so much CPU performance in favor of features that you do not need. The reason for getting DDR5 would be to improve CPU performance, which is better done by getting a superior CPU at this price point.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200¬†@ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVME, 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB¬†(RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard:¬†Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Roxanne (Wife Build):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0GHz -¬†5.0GHz - 4.9GHz - 4.8GHz, Cache @ 4.6GHz, relidded with LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper¬†4x8GB DDR3-2400¬†@¬†10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with¬†LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

BigBox (HTPC):

  • CPU: Ryzen 5600G @ 4640MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600¬†@ 4400MHz 17-17-17-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC @ 1800MHz & .812V
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: Silicon Power A80 1TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600 Gold
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper with Noctua A12x15 PWM Chromax Black
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.2.2 Atmos setup.
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Harmonic (Game/Plex/Other Server):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard:¬†ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 48GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred
  • Storage: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent¬†1TB NVME, Blu-Ray Drive
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S with 2X Fractal Venturi HP-12
  • Keyboard/Mouse:¬†None
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

NAS:

  • Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB¬†usable space
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TinkerBill said:

I understand the move to a higher CPU on paper, but I don't see why it's needed, can you clarify?

An i3 12100 and RTX 3090 is not a well balanced system.

Winter is Coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3090 for £740... so not fucking fair, I'm actually jealous. And here I am struggling to find a 3080 XC3 for less than £1200...

Desktop: Ryzen 7 2700X - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3200MHz 16GB Dominator Platinum - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 4TB HDD - XFX 5600XT - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta

Setup: Zowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - AOC E2460SH 24.0 - Roccat Burt Pro - Corsair K70 LUX browns - HyperX Cloud - Mackie CR5X's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TinkerBill said:

 

I doubt the case will accommodate a 57mm thick GPU. Even if it can be squeezed in, sufficient airflow is unlikely.

 

Noctua compatibility information indicates that the NH-L12S is incompatible with the motherboard due to VRM  height. The cooler is also unable to sustain maximum turbo clocks.

 

While the GPU is limiting at 4k, don't expect gaming performance to ever exceed that of the CPU at 1080.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

The build I put together will perform better for the same money than the one you originally had. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice so much CPU performance in favor of features that you do not need. The reason for getting DDR5 would be to improve CPU performance, which is better done by getting a superior CPU at this price point.

Should I wait, save more and get the i5 then? I don't see the advantage of going up on the cpu but going backwards on mobo and ram, seems future upgrades would likely need more parts changed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brob said:

 

Noctua compatibility information indicates that the NH-L12S is incompatible with the motherboard due to VRM  height. The cooler is also unable to sustain maximum turbo clocks

Ah, I'd checked the CPU comp but didn't check the mobo, thanks for that ūüĎć

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TinkerBill said:

Should I wait, save more and get the i5 then? I don't see the advantage of going up on the cpu but going backwards on mobo and ram, seems future upgrades would likely need more parts changed?

Reports indicate that Intel 13th gen will support DDR4. And you won't be overclocking with such a low profile cooler. So in short, no. My build has no additional upgrade limitations vs your original build.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200¬†@ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVME, 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB¬†(RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard:¬†Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Roxanne (Wife Build):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0GHz -¬†5.0GHz - 4.9GHz - 4.8GHz, Cache @ 4.6GHz, relidded with LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper¬†4x8GB DDR3-2400¬†@¬†10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with¬†LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

BigBox (HTPC):

  • CPU: Ryzen 5600G @ 4640MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600¬†@ 4400MHz 17-17-17-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC @ 1800MHz & .812V
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: Silicon Power A80 1TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600 Gold
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper with Noctua A12x15 PWM Chromax Black
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.2.2 Atmos setup.
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Harmonic (Game/Plex/Other Server):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard:¬†ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 48GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred
  • Storage: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent¬†1TB NVME, Blu-Ray Drive
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S with 2X Fractal Venturi HP-12
  • Keyboard/Mouse:¬†None
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

NAS:

  • Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB¬†usable space
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are throwing a 3090 into an itx-case, make sure it has good airflow. That case barely works if it has 50cm open space around it, pushing it into a shelf it barely fits will make it run too hot for sure.

 

You are better off building your own case into the space you have there. Three 92x38 server fans preferrably with pwm control as front intake could make it possible to run that +400W system in a tight space like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


√ó