Why is something being sent while downloading?b

GamerGry123
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's normal to have some amount of upload while you download.

While a file is transferred, there's a communication between the two computers - the download is segmented in small packets and each time a small packet is received, it's checked to see if it was correctly received and your computer sends a message saying "received the packet ok, no errors, keep going" or if there's errors the computer sends a message "there was an error, send the packet again"

So let's say each data packet is 4 KB in size, and you're downloading at 155 mbps or 19 MB/s or around 20 000 KB/s then you'd have 20 000 KB / 4 KB =  5000 packets incoming each second, and for each one your computer has to confirm it arrived correctly or tell the remote computer to resend.

How do I download a file. I have 150Mb / s download and 25Mb / s upload. As I have used all the internet download bandwidth, 4-5Mbps data is sent. How it's working?

1.png

usually that would be accknowledge packages for the datastream. 

mixed with a bit of transfer control. 

Hop in to Resource Monitor and you should be able to get an idea of what's flowing in and out with the Network and Disk tabs.

are you downloading in the browser?  or via Bit Torrent or something?  

It's normal to have some amount of upload while you download.

While a file is transferred, there's a communication between the two computers - the download is segmented in small packets and each time a small packet is received, it's checked to see if it was correctly received and your computer sends a message saying "received the packet ok, no errors, keep going" or if there's errors the computer sends a message "there was an error, send the packet again"

So let's say each data packet is 4 KB in size, and you're downloading at 155 mbps or 19 MB/s or around 20 000 KB/s then you'd have 20 000 KB / 4 KB =  5000 packets incoming each second, and for each one your computer has to confirm it arrived correctly or tell the remote computer to resend.

18 hours ago, GamerGry123 said:

How do I download a file. I have 150Mb / s download and 25Mb / s upload. As I have used all the internet download bandwidth, 4-5Mbps data is sent. How it's working?

1.png

How would you expect it to know to send the next section of the file if you weren't confirming you received the last and asking for the next? 😉

Downloading is a conversation.  Think of it like two people, if one is talking but can't see the other is listening, they will stop talking.  While humans can use none-verbal communication to indicate you are still listening, machines have to constantly go "yup I heard and understood that, do carry on" or "oops I missed that, please say it again".

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 6.07.2022 at 17:58, tkitch said:

pobierasz w przeglądarce? lub przez Bit Torrenta czy coś?  

in the browser