I sold a graphics card to someone second hand (Radeon 6800) But he put in a power cable while the PC was on.

SerHoneyBadger

My question of the matter is. Could he have destroyed something in his computer while his PC was on?

All he did was put in the second 8 pin in his GPU. Again without turning off his computer. I assume this can damage the GPU or the PC in some way.

So if his Computer is showing signs of failing in the next few days. Is it his fault? I'm expecting issues to arise from this.

1 minute ago, SerHoneyBadger said:

Is it his fault?

Yes.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Uhhh, yeah, he very possibly killed something, either GPU  or PC Side.

He plugged in a live power cord while it was running?  DAMN that's a dumb move.  

He'll probably blame the card he bought from you for "frying" his PC.

That's not your problem. Don't accept any fault, don't give him any money back, don't accept it as a return. You shouldn't even be providing tech support for him.

What he did with the card after you handed it to him and he gave you the money for it is his responsibility.

Edited by Needfuldoer

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, tkitch said:

Uhhh, yeah, he very possibly killed something, either GPU  or PC Side.

He plugged in a live power cord while it was running?  DAMN that's a dumb move.  

People tell me its like plugging in power to your phone.... I don't think its the same thing. I'm praying those cables have some sort of failsafe or protection.

7 minutes ago, SerHoneyBadger said:

People tell me its like plugging in power to your phone.... 

Those people are idiots. 

Things it is safe to connect and disconnect while the PC is powered on:

• Things plugged into I/O ports (USB, HDMI, etc.)
  • This is the end of the list

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Don't think hot plugging can do any damage, current still goes through the card VRMs

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 minutes ago, SerHoneyBadger said:

People tell me its like plugging in power to your phone.... I don't think its the same thing. I'm praying those cables have some sort of failsafe or protection.

it is absolutely NOTHING like plugging in a phone.

It's a dumb assed idea

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Don't think hot plugging can do any damage, current still goes through the card VRMs

it 110% Can fry shit.

Source:  I've done it on systems for giggles.  Most PC Connections are NOT hot swappable.

Especially on cables that can spit out 12.5A of power.

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

it 110% Can fry shit.

Source:  I've done it on systems for giggles.  Most PC Connections are NOT hot swappable.

Especially on cables that can spit out 12.5A of power.

Thats the answer i needed thank you!

2 minutes ago, SerHoneyBadger said:

Thats the answer i needed thank you!

It's possible nothing died, it's far from a guarantee, but those cables can carry some real current, so yeah the risk is definitely not 0 for stuff getting fried.  

10 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It's possible nothing died, it's far from a guarantee, but those cables can carry some real current, so yeah the risk is definitely not 0 for stuff getting fried.  

I'm praying he got lucky. And nothing got damaged in the long run.

2 minutes ago, SerHoneyBadger said:

I'm praying he got lucky. And nothing got damaged in the long run.

Hopefully for his sake, but it's not your problem, don't let him make it your problem. 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Hopefully for his sake, but it's not your problem, don't let him make it your problem. 

This.  you didn't tell him to be a dumbass, he did that all on his own.

If you buy a car and then drive it into a telephone pole?  That's not the dealer's fault.  

2 hours ago, SerHoneyBadger said:

My question of the matter is. Could he have destroyed something in his computer while his PC was on?

All he did was put in the second 8 pin in his GPU. Again without turning off his computer. I assume this can damage the GPU or the PC in some way.

So if his Computer is showing signs of failing in the next few days. Is it his fault? I'm expecting issues to arise from this.

I have never heard of such idiocy.  Murdered a good card probably too.  Needs a good chin punch...💥