networking problem, hopefully there is a fix pt 2

ok, so here is link to original thread...

so i got a router and hooked it up. i put in the static IP that was given, and now it seems like some people can find my server. but i now have 2 new problems... problem 1, i cant find the server and im on the same network but not on same router. problem 2, there is a crap ton of lag and it kinda seems like my internet keeps dropping (computer plugged into router). i dont feel like i screwed anything up when i was entering information. i know i got all the numbers in the right spots... networking isnt my best when it comes to IT work... i know there isnt alot of information here, but i dont know what to add. so please feel free to ask me for anything that could help fix this problem. and if its something that isnt entry level or quickly googleable (is that even a word??) then please quickly tell me how to find it.

Hey Noluk,

I'm Ξphinum.

I've had a quick read over the previous thread and picked up most of the info I hope.

Would you mind if we started from scratch?

My reason for asking is - Where people plug into the socket in the wall - it can very from there.

As a example: In the US people tend to connect to the isp via DHCP, where as in the Uk it's PPPoE. This might not mean much to you at the moment but i hope we can work through it.

Could we start by knowing which country you are in (no specific locallity needs to be given, just which country)

2nd from where you connect into the wall scoket (cable / telephone) what is the first device that cable plugs into and what would you call that device?

Just now, Ephinum said:

Hey Noluk,

I'm Ξphinum.

I've had a quick read over the previous thread and picked up most of the info I hope.

Would you mind if we started from scratch?

My reason for asking is - Where people plug into the socket in the wall - it can very from there.

As a example: In the US people tend to connect to the isp via DHCP, where as in the Uk it's PPPoE. This might not mean much to you at the moment but i hope we can work through it.

Could we start by knowing which country you are in (no specific locallity needs to be given, just which country)

2nd from where you connect into the wall scoket (cable / telephone) what is the first device that cable plugs into and what would you call that device?

im from the US. the way the internet goes is wall-> modem (i think its a modem)-> access point with wifi-> belkin router-> server PC.... all other devices are connected to the access point and work fine

For exmaple;

I'm in the UK. Overhere we connect to our isp via PPPoE.

So for me I have telephone(ADSL) connection in my house. From that wall socket I have a cable that goes to a modem, then to my router, then to a switch(most people dont have a switch. I would explain it like this;

Wall socket > Modem > Router > Switch> My PC

Just now, nolukjustskil said:

im from the US. the way the internet goes is wall-> modem (i think its a modem)-> access point with wifi-> belkin router-> server PC.... all other devices are connected to the access point and work fine

That's perfect thanks, you done it the way i was hoping before i even replied 😛

1 minute ago, Ephinum said:

That's perfect thanks, you done it the way i was hoping before i even replied 😛

lol great minds lol... i have a decent amount of computer knowledge, like i said, networking is one that hasnt really been that important to me. like i know how to forward ports and the "easy" stuff

Please forgive me If I'm teaching you how to suck eggs (saying things you already know - English term)

On any network you have something called DHCP (without over complicating it's a device/software that assigns network addresses to devices on your network. Having more than one device doing that causes a double NAT problem. NAT is Network Address Translation. All this really means is The DHCP device/software will give IP addresses to devices it will then store those addresses for your local devices and when certain things happen on your network it knows where each device so it can send the data.

If you have two devices trying to do the same job the world has abrain fart.

Just now, Ephinum said:

Please forgive me If I'm teaching you how to suck eggs (saying things you already know - English term)

On any network you have something called DHCP (without over complicating it's a device/software that assigns network addresses to devices on your network. Having more than one device doing that causes a double NAT problem. NAT is Network Address Translation. All this really means is The DHCP device/software will give IP addresses to devices it will then store those addresses for your local devices and when certain things happen on your network it knows where each device so it can send the data.

If you have two devices trying to do the same job the world has abrain fart.

oh, no its fine. because im sure you are going to say something and ill have no idea what you are talking about lol
i did need windows to turn on DHCP on the belkin router for it to setup and connect. 

In essence what we need to do is decide on what you want to achieve with your network setup, e.g wifi access, v/lans(network segregation) basically just understand how you want things to work. 2ndly from that see if that can be achieved with your devices and 3rdly implement it.

oh, no its fine. because im sure you are going to say something and ill have no idea what you are talking about lol
i did need windows to turn on DHCP on the belkin router for it to setup and connect. 

Kewl.

From what I can see at the moment the Belkin router is a 3rd person in 2 person getting laid scenario 🙂

18 minutes ago, nolukjustskil said:

Given the previous thread, I'm confused by your layout here.  Can you look at each device and give specific make/models?

Your ISP seems to be delivering pure communal ethernet of some sort, its kind hard to figure where this static IP comes into the picture and if indeed its public or private.

If they somehow have allocated you a public IP its confusing how this is working, given you wouldn't usually use public and private on the same physical network, you would tunnel it in some way either with VLANs or something like L2TP.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Ephinum said:

In essence what we need to do is decide on what you want to achieve with your network setup, e.g wifi access, v/lans(network segregation) basically just understand how you want things to work. 2ndly from that see if that can be achieved with your devices and 3rdly implement it.

well what i want is my network to work as it was (typical internet stuff). but also i just want to run a server so i can play a game with some friends. i hate that Ark: survival evolved server system is so complicated, because we just got done playing other games like raft, 7 days to die, borderlands 3 without any issues. ark is the only game to cause a problem. and its because ports need to be opened which the ISP tech said isnt something they can do.

The device you called " access point with wifi" do you have a model number, manufacturer for it?

Just now, Ephinum said:

The device you called " access point with wifi" do you have a model number, manufacturer for it?

that is a ruckus H510

well what i want is my network to work as it was (typical internet stuff). but also i just want to run a server so i can play a game with some friends. i hate that Ark: survival evolved server system is so complicated, because we just got done playing other games like raft, 7 days to die, borderlands 3 without any issues. ark is the only game to cause a problem. and its because ports need to be opened which the ISP tech said isnt something they can do.

My mate wont stop going on about raft at the moment lol, I'm trying to get him tpo play GTFO. We've just had a long session on Borderlands.

For the moment lets forget the port forwarding - there's multiple ways of doing this that don't involve your isp so you can stick two fingers upto them. That's the easy part. What we want to0 do first is get your DHCP and NAT working as it should be.

1 minute ago, nolukjustskil said:

that is a ruckus H510

What are the first two digits in the static IP address you are trying to use?  How is this configured on the router?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Given the previous thread, I'm confused by your layout here.  Can you look at each device and give specific make/models?

the access point is a ruckus H510, idk what the modem is, but it came from the ISP. and the router is belkin f7d3302. so the router is new in the setup. and its only used because the ISP said they couldnt open ports for the server, but they could give me a static IP address and i could use it with a router that could open ports and solve my problem (i think)

2 minutes ago, nolukjustskil said:

the access point is a ruckus H510, idk what the modem is, but it came from the ISP. and the router is belkin f7d3302. so the router is new in the setup. and its only used because the ISP said they couldnt open ports for the server, but they could give me a static IP address and i could use it with a router that could open ports and solve my problem (i think)

Generally speaking, once you have a static public IP you'd put everything on your LAN behind the router using that so you can port forward to whichever client you want.  What's confusing is if the static IP and DHCP are still both working off the Rukus, that's not a normal configuration if its a public static IP and not going to solve your problem if its still a private/CG-NAT static IP.

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

What are the first two digits in the static IP address you are trying to use?  How is this configured on the router?

umm 24 is the first 2 digits. and it is set as the internet setting connection type on the belkin router, along with DNS, gateway, subnet mask that was all provided by ISP

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Generally speaking, once you have a static public IP you'd put everything on your LAN behind the router using that so you can port forward to whichever client you want.  What's confusing is if the static IP and DHCP are still both working off the Rukus, that's not a normal configuration if its a public static IP and not going to solve your problem if its still a private/CG-NAT static IP.

so the first sentence makes sense to me, the 2nd could have been any language and outcome been the same for me lol. could you elaborate more? do i need to change a setting on my belkin?

I'm not sure what cables you have noluk...

Before I suggest changes to your network can i confirm you have a way to access the internet(for this thread) if your current setup above is disconnected?

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Generally speaking, once you have a static public IP you'd put everything on your LAN behind that so you can port forward to whichever client you want.  What's confusing is if the static IP and DHCP are still both working off the Rokus, that's not a normal configuration if its a public static IP and not going to solve your problem if its still a private/CG-NAT static IP.

Thanks for you input Alex.

Imo it would be better to walk before we try to run, especially in instances where alot of info is left out or ignores geo variances.

3 minutes ago, nolukjustskil said:

umm 24 is the first 2 digits. and it is set as the internet setting connection type on the belkin router, along with DNS, gateway, subnet mask that was all provided by ISP

Ooops, I meant numbers not digits, lol, as in xxx.xxx but it does sound like that might be public.

If you remove the Rukus entirely and put everything behind the router, does the Internet work there?

Just now, Ephinum said:

I'm not sure what cables you have noluk...

Before I suggest changes to your network can i confirm you have a way to access the internet(for this thread) if your current setup above is disconnected?

yeah ill be able to... and i have all basic cables.... so to give more information. there is 1 in port (coax cable) for the modem, 1 output (ethernet) and that goes into the ruckus access point. the ruckus has 4 outputs, output 1 is going to the belkin (thats what tech support told me to do) output 2 to main computer, output 3 to mrs. work computer. from belkin, 1 ethernet into server computer

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ooops, I meant numbers not digits, lol, as in xxx.xxx but it does sound like that might be public.

If you remove the Rukus entirely and put everything behind the router, does the Internet work there?

no, internet doesnt work without the rukus. that was my 2nd go to choice when figuring all this out... number is 24.249