Best ddr4 ram

I'm upgrading my ddr4 2600 mhz ram and would like a suggestion for a 32 gb set and I don't care about the price I just want it faster and for it to look nicer please.

9 minutes ago, Roboaneurysm said:

I'm upgrading my ddr4 2600 mhz ram and would like a suggestion for a 32 gb set and I don't care about the price I just want it faster and for it to look nicer please.

What cpu and mb yu got?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What cpu and mb yu got?

Ryzen 5 3600x and a tuf motherboard I think I'm at work currently so I can't give specifics because I don't remember but it's not fancy, I'll see if I have records on my phone

3 minutes ago, Roboaneurysm said:

Ryzen 5 3600x and a tuf motherboard I think I'm at work currently so I can't give specifics because I don't remember but it's not fancy, I'll see if I have records on my phone

ASRock X570 Taichi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard found it

17 minutes ago, Roboaneurysm said:

Literally buy the cheapest 3200 c16 or 3600 c18 bin available, ram speed really doesnt matter that much as ram oc is mostly just for fun and flexing (ex my 1520 7-9-6-9 2.38v extreem dark that has terrible bandwidth)

If you wanna play around with ram oc and not the lazy oc just rip a profile off someone and forget then some things youll need are good ram ics (ex 16gbit rev b), fan over the rams for cooling, good platform and cpu imc (zen2+, apus preffered, or 9th gen and up), and not being conservative with voltage as most good ics are guaranteed safe at 1.6v but tend to do 1.7v just fine too

Btw what is your current system specs? Pretty pointless to buy oc rams when your platform isnt capable of those speeds

Just now, Roboaneurysm said:

ASRock X570 Taichi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard found it

That's a very high end Mobo for the CPU. As a general rule for Gen 2 Ryzen 3600mhz CAS/CL 16 Memory will do you well.

The reasoning behind figuring this is out is to do with the infinity fabric.

More understanding can be found here - https://www.anandtech.com/show/14525/amd-zen-2-microarchitecture-analysis-ryzen-3000-and-epyc-rome/11

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Literally buy the cheapest 3200 c16 or 3600 c18 bin available, ram speed really doesnt matter that much as ram oc is mostly just for fun and flexing (ex my 1520 7-9-6-9 2.38v extreem dark that has terrible bandwidth)

If you wanna play around with ram oc and not the lazy oc just rip a profile off someone and forget then some things youll need are good ram ics (ex 16gbit rev b), fan over the rams for cooling, good platform and cpu imc (zen2+, apus preffered, or 9th gen and up), and not being conservative with voltage as most good ics are guaranteed safe at 1.6v but tend to do 1.7v just fine too

Btw what is your current system specs? Pretty pointless to buy oc rams when your platform isnt capable of those speeds

Ryzen 9 3900x ASRock X570 Taichi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard 3070 a 1000 watt power supply and a 2600 mhz 32 gb set of ram

10 minutes ago, Roboaneurysm said:

technically the fastest XMP for that kit available in a 2x16GB configuration is 3600MHz CL14 (brand doesn't really matter, it'll all be the same memory IC anyway). Given the price of those kits though, you're better off upgrading your CPU instea  to something like a 5600 then just trying to OC your current kit of RAM. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

technically the fastest XMP for that kit available in a 2x16GB configuration is 3600MHz CL14 (brand doesn't really matter, it'll all be the same memory IC anyway). Given the price of those kits though, you're better off upgrading your CPU instea  to something like a 5600 then just trying to OC your current kit of RAM. 

Okay thank you for all the help!

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

RAM clock speed is pertinent very much so for AMD Ryzen CPU's

It matters very much - there is dual rank and single rank memory, voltage to achieve clock speed and many other factors. I'm not saying you are wrong but maybe further info should be given?

2 minutes ago, Roboaneurysm said:

Ryzen 9 3900x ASRock X570 Taichi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard 3070 a 1000 watt power supply and a 2600 mhz 32 gb set of ram

Check thaiphoon burner for ic, most ics are capable of atleast 3200mhz

Again ram oc is just not worth it unless you run serious ocs with actually good ics, since you are pretty much stuck to dual stick since iirc x570 taichi is t top is either dual sided 8gbit rev e or the more common single sided 16gbit rev b. Strategies you can use are brute speed and tight timings

For 16gbit rev b it can do both

Brute speed is just vroom vroom outspeeding the fclk desync penalty by going >4800mhz c18/17 at 1.6-1.7v, tight timings is just syncing with fclk and dual ccd cpus tend to run rather slow fclk so youll prob be limited to 3800 at most, 3800 c14 seems to be acheivable at ~1.55v but theres still lots of volt headroom so you may be able to acheive tighter timings but at some point there will be a diminishing returns zone so may not be worth it to run past a certain volt for certain freq and timings because why bother running your kit at 1.7v when you can just sacrifice a little bit of timings for neglieble performance drop while lowering volt to a more reasonable 1.6v so the sticks run cooler and are less prone to instability due to heat

I would not bother with tight timings for cpus incapable of atleast 1900fclk, rev b can easily outspeed the fclk penalty if its a meager 1800 max

Just now, Ephinum said:

It matters very much - there is dual rank and single rank memory, voltage to achieve clock speed and many other factors. I'm not saying you are wrong but maybe further info should be given?

No more info is needed to be given, that one line takes all that into account.

2x16GB configs with XMPs of 3600MHz CL14 are guaranteed to be dual rank, regardless of whether it's G.Skill, Corsair, TeamGroup, Patriot, Adata, OLOy, etc. The voltage of those kits will be 1.45V, every single kit is that voltage, and that voltage is completely safe. Those 3600MHz CL14 kits all use Samsung B die memory ICs because it's the only IC that can, it's an 8Gb memory IC with voltage tolerance up to 1.7V (though tends to have issues with temperature above 1.5V, and realistically doesn't scale that much beyond 1.5V anyway, and while it can scale beyond 1.7V with active cooling, you need to limit the amount of RAM Windows can access in order for it to not blue screen every 5 minutes) so the only way for it to be made into 16GB consumer DIMMs is for them to be dual rank (yes, you can do weird stuff and use 1Rx4 memory organizations, but AFAIK that's limited to buffered DIMMs only). There are differences in manufacturers which what PCBs they use, that does affect overclocking ability on memory, but it doesn't really matter at XMP and given how inconsistent B die is, there's more of a difference between memory sticks themselves than what effort the manufacturer puts into making the PCBs better, not to mention that a lot manufacturers just share the same PCB anyway. 

Yes there are other timings as well, tRCD being the most important out of all of those, but the two tRCD values you'll find at 3600MHz CL14 are 15 and 16, and the performance difference between them is very little. The other subtimings are what actually matter for performance, and those other subtimings aren't listed by the RAM manufacturer for what will be in the XMP. 

Ryzen 3000 has the infinity fabric max out somewhere between 3600MHz and 3800MHz depending on the specific chip, so you want an XMP that falls somewhere in that range. There are technically 3733MHz CL14 kits and 3800MHz CL14 kits that do exist, but they're extremely rare and AFAIK only available in 2x8GB configurations. 3600MHz CL14, however, is actually a fairly common bin of memory, and since that's in the range that works on every CPU, you don't need to worry about your chip being unstable. Yes, manually overclocking the RAM is a very solid option, but given the way OP asked the question, I'd assume they just wanna plug in a kit and have it do XMP. If they wanted to manually OC memory, they should do that on their current kit since that will get them 95% of the performance of an XMP B die kit anyway. 

I know a little too much about RAM. 

16 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If they wanted to manually OC memory, they should do that on their current kit since that will get them 95% of the performance of an XMP B die kit anyway

^^^

Yea ram speed doesnt matter that much, ram oc is just for fun and to see how far you can clock your rams, tbh i think thats the only fun thing to oc since cpus is just crank voltage and freq same for gpus, with rams you gotta figure out how to tune each individual ic since theyre all pretty different, some are amazing like samsung 8gbit b die or micron 8gbit rev e/16gbit rev b, some are complete piles of trash that struggle to get a meager 3200 c16 like hynix 8gbit mfr

unfortunately my experience is rather limited and i only have ddr2 and ddr3 experience, i just got lucky i referenced hwbot record for my extreem dark and somehow got them to 1520 7-9-6-9, same for my rev f ddr3 where i just referenced 2gbit rev c timings and quickly ended up at 2200 9-11-11-24 2v, went abit further and now its 2200 8-11-10-20/18 at 2.46v (shut up its a worthless trash bin x58 cpu and worthless rams, and no they have not degraded at all)

No more info is needed to be given, that one line takes all that into account.

2x16GB configs with XMPs of 3600MHz CL14 are guaranteed to be dual rank, regardless of whether it's G.Skill, Corsair, TeamGroup, Patriot, Adata, OLOy, etc. The voltage of those kits will be 1.45V, every single kit is that voltage, and that voltage is completely safe. Those 3600MHz CL14 kits all use Samsung B die memory ICs because it's the only IC that can, it's an 8Gb memory IC with voltage tolerance up to 1.7V (though tends to have issues with temperature above 1.5V, and realistically doesn't scale that much beyond 1.5V anyway, and while it can scale beyond 1.7V with active cooling, you need to limit the amount of RAM Windows can access in order for it to not blue screen every 5 minutes) so the only way for it to be made into 16GB consumer DIMMs is for them to be dual rank (yes, you can do weird stuff and use 1Rx4 memory organizations, but AFAIK that's limited to buffered DIMMs only). There are differences in manufacturers which what PCBs they use, that does affect overclocking ability on memory, but it doesn't really matter at XMP and given how inconsistent B die is, there's more of a difference between memory sticks themselves than what effort the manufacturer puts into making the PCBs better, not to mention that a lot manufacturers just share the same PCB anyway. 

Yes there are other timings as well, tRCD being the most important out of all of those, but the two tRCD values you'll find at 3600MHz CL14 are 15 and 16, and the performance difference between them is very little. The other subtimings are what actually matter for performance, and those other subtimings aren't listed by the RAM manufacturer for what will be in the XMP. 

Ryzen 3000 has the infinity fabric max out somewhere between 3600MHz and 3800MHz depending on the specific chip, so you want an XMP that falls somewhere in that range. There are technically 3733MHz CL14 kits and 3800MHz CL14 kits that do exist, but they're extremely rare and AFAIK only available in 2x8GB configurations. 3600MHz CL14, however, is actually a fairly common bin of memory, and since that's in the range that works on every CPU, you don't need to worry about your chip being unstable. Yes, manually overclocking the RAM is a very solid option, but given the way OP asked the question, I'd assume they just wanna plug in a kit and have it do XMP. If they wanted to manually OC memory, they should do that on their current kit since that will get them 95% of the performance of an XMP B die kit anyway. 

I know a little too much about RAM. 

"I know a little too much about RAM. "

Ok you went there....  sorry - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gskill-trident-z-neo-ddr4-3600-ram-review

Single rank
- Enough said

Dual Channel is not dual rank. They aren't the only sticks either, by a long stretch.

May I suggest Buildzoid as a point of reference?

18 minutes ago, Ephinum said:

"I know a little too much about RAM. "

Ok you went there....  sorry - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gskill-trident-z-neo-ddr4-3600-ram-review

Single rank
- Enough said

Dual Channel is not dual rank. They aren't the only sticks either, by a long stretch.

That is a 2x8GB kit. I said 2x16GB kits are the ones guaranteed to be dual rank. There is no physical way to make a consumer kit of RAM with safe voltages at 2x16GB 3600MHz CL14-15-15 and not be using B die, so it will be have to be dual rank. 

18 minutes ago, Ephinum said:

May I suggest Buildzoid as a point of reference?

I have seen him. I do a lot of memory overclocking (mainly on Ryzen), and have dealt with 4 different kits of B die of varying quality. The 8GB DIMMs are single rank, and the 16GB DIMMs are dual rank. 

That is a 2x8GB kit. I said 2x16GB kits are the ones guaranteed to be dual rank. There is no physical way to make a consumer kit of RAM with safe voltages at 2x16GB 3600MHz CL14-15-15 and not be using B die, so it will be have to be dual rank. 

I have seen him. I do a lot of memory overclocking (mainly on Ryzen), and have dealt with 4 different kits of B die of varying quality. The 8GB DIMMs are single rank, and the 16GB DIMMs are dual rank. 

With no offence to Robo and absolute that none of us have asked yet. Why would you want a 32GB kit with a 3600? While I recognise the overspecced mobo, none of us have asked the use case. Or the reasoning, possible future CPU upgrade plan?

I incorrectly jumped to the conclusion it's a gaming PC. Making an ass out of myself aside, those questions should be asked. Added to that he would be far better off with 2x 2x 16GB kits of Dual channel single rank than he would 1x 1x 32GB Dual channel kit of dual rank.

In my opinion.
Ξph

1 hour ago, Roboaneurysm said:

2 minutes ago, Ephinum said:

Why would you want a 32GB kit with a 3600?

He apparently misspoke and meant to say 3900X and already has 32GB of RAM. 

3 minutes ago, Ephinum said:

Added to that he would be far better off with 2x 2x 16GB kits of Dual channel single rank than he would 1x 1x 32GB Dual channel kit of dual rank.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to say 4x16GB is better than 1x32GB? I mean, yeah, of course it is. Did you mean 2x32GB instead of 1x32GB? If you did, no, 2x32GB is better. On the X570 Taichi (I own that particular board and have done a fair amount of memory clocking on it), slot A1 and slot B2 exist more to enable 128GB of RAM support than they do to actually provide high speed RAM. If you can keep only slots A2 and B2 populated, that is best. Performance will be the same between 4x16GB and 2x32GB, but the 2x32GB kit will be more reliable to hit rated memory speeds than the 4x16GB configuration. 

He apparently misspoke and meant to say 3900X and already has 32GB of RAM. 

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to say 4x16GB is better than 1x32GB? I mean, yeah, of course it is. Did you mean 2x32GB instead of 1x32GB? If you did, no, 2x32GB is better. On the X570 Taichi (I own that particular board and have done a fair amount of memory clocking on it), slot A1 and slot B2 exist more to enable 128GB of RAM support than they do to actually provide high speed RAM. If you can keep only slots A2 and B2 populated, that is best. Performance will be the same between 4x16GB and 2x32GB, but the 2x32GB kit will be more reliable to hit rated memory speeds than the 4x16GB configuration. 

I'm sort of reading meeting papers at the same time.

I just meant get two 2x8GB single rank vs one 2x16GB Dual rank

• 1 month later...

All valid opinions. I would suggest to further eliminate the possibility of issues by consulting the QVL list for your board and processor combination (link provided). It DOES make a difference, in at least a handful of cases.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!