Audio Loopback Realtek® ALC12** series - MSI Tomahawk / Gaming Edge, Gigabyte Auros Elite ETC.

Hi All,

I have a issue that's been driving me potty - simplified, it is application or any audio output meant to go to speakers (3.5mm rear, 3.5.mm front/headphones) outputting into 3.5mm Mic, whether the headset mic is physically switched off or not. Basically anything meant to go to output replicates into mic as if mic is output. For instance Discord, Skype, Teams etc... any comms app gets a feed of output into mic as if direct linked.

To explain a bit more in depth...

Please note that all devices are 3.5mm jack (no usb audio devices) there;s also no external dacs etc. Merely Front HD audio 3.5mm (noted a grounding issue on the front panel may cause it, explained later) and rear 3.5mm outputs.

I have had the same issue on 3 Mobo's I have to hand, 2 cases and 3 CPU's and two 3.5mm jack headsets (both separate 3.5mm mic and headphone jack headsets and all cases have same 3.5mm mic and 3.5mm headphone ports)

CPU's: 2700x, 3600x, 5800x
Mobo's: MSI x570mag tomahawk, MSI x570 gaming edge wifi, Gigabyte x570 auros elite (returned due to usb issue), Gigabyte B450 Auros (I'll have to check specific)

OS's: Windows 10, Zorin 16.1 (Debian) ( I do also have a Manjaro setup that has not replicated the issue, so far that is the only exception)

In all instances the GPU's have been RX580's one is a 4gb variant, the other a 8gb (In all attempts to resolve this issue the GPU's have been both enabled and disabled as Audio devices in all OSes)

The headsets are both separate 3.5mm's for mic and headphones. - Sennheiser GSP 350 and a HyperX cloud something

Summary of efforts to rectify;
I've spent countless hourless trying to fix this - both through driver changes, interchanging mobo's, cpu's, headsets, OS's... everything. A massive caution there though, as much as I'd like to say I've tried every combo I will admit that through frustration there are likely multiple combinations I haven't. I would totally accept going back to ground ZERO and that's where I'd like to start with some help if people are happy to assist.

Base info
With windows 10 I have tried using windows default driver install and the drivers from mobo manu website. Also various options within the realtek audio software (the MSI x570 Gaming Edge wifi requires nahimic where the tomahawk doesnt)
With Zorin / Debian I dialled down to ALSA via alsamixer to rule out a pulse /pavu issue.

I hope I've shared enough to give some trains of thought, at the same time I'm more than willing to go back over some basic steps as part of process - as above, it's possiblle something simple was missed. I appreciate all and any help.

Extra note - Discord on debian uses pulse and adds extra devices, in such instances where using the likes of pulse effects or even not.

Ignoring everything I have done as it could all be wrong - the base issue is application audio playsback as if MIC is a output on comms software (disc etc) on both Win 10 and Debian based distros.

I appreciate any and all help - especially if it's a free hair-restorer product :P)

nb. let me know of any further info you want SS, logs etc.

Thanks!

p.s Pretty sure all mobo's are realtek alc 12**.  Stereo mixer disabled - the main case for testing is a Phanteks Evolv ATX ( In my searching previously a one off comment was made that if a front panel jack had a grounding issue it could cause the problems above, but that was beyond my knowledge to rule out)