Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Do You Do With Old Systems?

I'm hoping to build a new desktop later this year, but I don't know what to do with my current system (Intel i7-6800K, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-E mobo). I don't stream and don't know of anyone else who needs a desktop PC. I've had this PC for over 5 years and would like to still keep it if I can find a purpose for it...

What do you do with your old systems? Any ideas for repurposing?

11.JPG

13.JPG

With all those hard drives, if two are same size, you could do a Raid 1 backup server for data storage redundancy. While you're at it, you could also host an HTTP website, game server, and do something with that GPU power like folding-at-home.

Quote me if you want me to get a notification. (if it's not my own thread)

Assume I'm using Linux as you would assume other people use Windows. Using since 2016, daily driving since 2018. 

Mega Warriors fan, alternate name is Snowshadow. 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I keep my old hardware incase someone needs their system repaired or fixed and needs something to get them by. Only thing i can do atm is re-use my old mobo/cpu, since i dont know which one is dead, and id rather not have to spend 250-350$ to find out via buying a known working x99 board lol

Plenty of use.

Dual PC Streaming, could use it in the living room for gaming or movie watching when some friends or family are over, storage or backup with those drives, hosting a server for a website or a game (I know Minecraft players definitely do this), or just keep it as an antique since it looks pretty cool, or spare parts that might come useful. For those last two you still wanna put it somewhere it won't collect dust because parts like that are still valuable.

It is said that an Italian dies every time Spaghetti is broken.

That's why I break mine twice.

Store it in a emp safe capsule , microtech will take years to even get back to what it was (whilst we will have power back up in a year or so) if it happens .