My Computer won't post

Go to solution Solved by Shelbyatemyliver,

I got the motherboard back and they fixed it. All they told me was that they couldn't find an issue with it so they updated the bios. I really do hope this doesn't happen again. I don't even have my original motherboard box and some of the screws, they didn't send it back, so I can't send it back if I have additional problems.

Tech Specs First

Cpu- 5800x

Motherboard- asus tuff x570 motherboard

Ram- 32gb of ram across 4 sticks of vulcan z ddr4 3600 (all the same sticks and timing)

GPU- evga rtx 3070 xc3 ultra (8gb) gddr6 lhr

SSD- Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT2000MX500SSD1 (os drive)

2nd SSD- SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P500B) (game drive)

Power Supply- Corsair RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply (Low Noise, Zero RPM Fan Mode, 105°C Capacitors, Fully Modular Cables, Compact Size) Black

I'm running on linux on pop os. This all started when I restarted my computer to apply updates for linux, the specific os is pop os (22.04 I think)  and the computer wouldn't boot it kept not starting for about 10 minutes while I was waiting to hang with friends in discord, so I restarted the computer again in hopes that it would fix the issue and it's been broken ever since. My computer won't start or reach the bios. The color code on my motherboard is like green, the words next to the led say boot. Through some of the troubleshooting steps I took the motherboard would also show the vga light or the yellow light too, while the green one was on. So sometimes the yellow and white were both on, vga and boot.

Steps I took:

I tried the cables at the back and power cycling the computer. I also tried turning off the power supply and waiting like 30 seconds or so and turning back on and trying that too. I took out the gpu and put in another one, a gtx 1650 super by asus, the Phoenix model, that didn't work. It has a power led so I know I plugged it in correctly because it's red if a connector is not plugged in on the graphics card.  I tried removing all the ram sticks but one and originally it wouldn't work and I got a ram light but I think that was because it was in the first slot on the left and not that last one on the right, when I put it in the last slot to the right it didn't get a ram error, but it was still stuck on the green (boot) and the white  (vga) led are now on. I can add pictures but I need to wait until I get home.

Update: I fully took apart the computer after not getting it into the bios for so long. I changed out the power supply. I changed out the graphics card. I changed the motherboard and it ended up getting cpu error on the other motherboard but it was an ebay motherboard with thermal paste on the socket so I'm not exactly sure if it was not the motherboard that was the problem. Also, before I changed the motherboard I took out the cmos battery for a bit and and started it up without it and then put it back in, changed the battery to a new one. The reason I have so many parts is because I was going to build a computer for my uncle using the 5700g. I'm going to go back home tonight to try idk the 5700g on the ebay motherboard and on the x570 motherboard. At this point there is almost no original parts, I have changed out the gpu, changed the power supply, left one stick of ram in (it's still the same ram), removed both drives in case they were bunk, and changed the motherboard for a b550 board that had thermal paste on the socket, let me see if I can find the listing image. The image I have is an image I took right after receiving the motherboard.

IMG_20220705_181523682.jpg

I don't have much experience with PopOS. Do you see the bootloader? Yes? Your kernel update was messed up, try a different kernel. If it's some kernel update incompatible with nvidia drivers, disable the gpu and fix it, run sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target, reinstall nvidia drivers then sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target, to restore

No bootloader? If you can get into BIOS/UEFI just fine, it's your bootloader getting messed up during update. Troubleshooting step is going to be a pain, but generally you need the USB installer again, boot off live USB, mount your disks and chroot. Fix the bootloader/kernel, rollback updates if necessary then reboot see if it's fixed. See https://support.system76.com/articles/bootloader/

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

2 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

I don't have much experience with PopOS. Do you see the bootloader? Yes? Your kernel update was messed up, try a different kernel. If it's some kernel update incompatible with nvidia drivers, disable the gpu and fix it, run sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target, reinstall nvidia drivers then sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target, to restore

No bootloader? If you can get into BIOS/UEFI just fine, it's your bootloader getting messed up during update. Troubleshooting step is going to be a pain, but generally you need the USB installer again, boot off live USB, mount your disks and chroot. Fix the bootloader/kernel, rollback updates if necessary then reboot see if it's fixed. See https://support.system76.com/articles/bootloader/

Okay, let me see if I can do that when I get home. I have the original usb with the os on it so it might work. I might not be booting into the bios either, nothing pops up on the tv, so I'm going to get a monitor instead of this tv I've been using. I had a problem on another computer with using a tv as a monitor, so I'm going to bring an actual one.

Another Update

Using the Cpu for my uncle's computer (5700g) and the motherboard for my uncle's computer (b550 Asus tuff) I tested both CPUs in both motherboards and in the ebay motherboard (b550 asus tuff) I was getting cpu error for both cpus and on my motherboard the uncle's cpu (5700g) was getting a ram error so I tried another ram stick in all four slots and it still wouldn't work. So now I'm super annoyed at the ebay seller. I have presumably 2 dead motherboards, but I don't know for sure because it could be one dead motherboard the ebay (b550 asus tuff) and one dead cpu, my original (5800x) and I won't know until I get a new motherboard. I've never had a single post by the way. Always a black screen and those led error lights. Btw thank you for helping me JogerJ.

Another Update

I just sent my x570 tuff motherboard to asus for an rma since it was under warranty had to pay $25for shipping so I hope it gets fixed. I also returned the motherboard from the ebay seller and will be looking for a different one for my uncle.

• 1 month later...

I got the motherboard back and they fixed it. All they told me was that they couldn't find an issue with it so they updated the bios. I really do hope this doesn't happen again. I don't even have my original motherboard box and some of the screws, they didn't send it back, so I can't send it back if I have additional problems.