Most optimal CPU to go with 3070Ti

Budget (including currency): $800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: All Games, Adobe CC Suite

Other details Nvidia 3070Ti

Hi all,

I managed to get a 3070Ti right when it was announced at retail and plopped it into my rig running an Intel i5 8500. I didn't bother upgrading the other parts because I didn't want to pay for everything else during the supply shortages.

Now that things are normalizing, I could use some advice to upgrade the CPU/MoBo/RAM since I am assuming my performance is now CPU bound and want the best bang for the buck.

Does anyone have any suggestions/resources/links to point me in the direction of what new parts I should get so I can ensure performance is adequate to a 3070Ti? I can afford 12th Gen Intel or 6-series AMD but I feel that would be a waste on this system since I don't plan on upgrading the GPU in this rig anytime soon. My next upgrade will be an entire rig purchase so I'm not worried about "future proofing" a build or having any headroom to plop in another CPU/GPU.

I was thinking something Intel since it has some performance advantages with Adobe CC, but I haven't really paid enough attention to see if AMD nullified QuickSync. 

Looking forward to the suggestions

I'd say a 12600K if you plan for mostly gaming, but for Adobe a 12700 will be tad faster

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

If we assume you just want a great gaming experience and not chasing ultimate fps, you don't really need much more CPU. 6c6t of current is on the low side so could hold back more demanding games. 

I'd consider the easy option first: what better CPUs does your mobo support, and how are they looking on the used market where you are? Keeping in mind you can sell the old CPU to help offset that. Moving to a 6c12t i7 of same gen would be a modest increase. Better 8c16t of the refresh gen (9900k?), but I doubt they'll be cheap enough that buying new CPU/mobo would start looking more attractive.

I'd target an 8c16t CPU in general for gaming, more to help the lows than the average fps. Comet Lake/Rocket Lake if you can find it used at good price could be interesting too, but they will need a mobo to go with them. Alder Lake should be good but consider you may need to move to Win11 if not already. AMD side 5800X is obvious choice to me. No need to go high end mobo since OC is pretty dead. Decent mid range board for any of these will suffice.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

31 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

AFAIK intel perfroms better than amd In Adobe unless it's the 5950x

I'd get a 12700f, a mobo like the Asus prime b660 plus, and the cheapest kit of 32gb ram.

Like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WsxprD

I was thinking the same, but didn't necessarily want to go 12th gen if it didn't make an appreciable difference. But with Adobe might just have to bite the bullet and go this way.

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I'd say a 12600K if you plan for mostly gaming, but for Adobe a 12700 will be tad faster

Another vote for 12th Gen. Is there any links/resources for 12600 vs. 12700?

1 minute ago, theoflow said:

Another vote for 12th Gen. Is there any links/resources for 12600 vs. 12700?

Cinebench r23 scores are pretty representative : https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-list/cinebench-scores

Note that the 12600K can be overclocked (with good cooling and a Z690 board), but neither the 12700 nor 12700F

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, porina said:

If we assume you just want a great gaming experience and not chasing ultimate fps, you don't really need much more CPU. 6c6t of current is on the low side so could hold back more demanding games. 

I'd consider the easy option first: what better CPUs does your mobo support, and how are they looking on the used market where you are? Keeping in mind you can sell the old CPU to help offset that. Moving to a 6c12t i7 of same gen would be a modest increase. Better 8c16t of the refresh gen (9900k?), but I doubt they'll be cheap enough that buying new CPU/mobo would start looking more attractive.

I'd target an 8c16t CPU in general for gaming, more to help the lows than the average fps. Comet Lake/Rocket Lake if you can find it used at good price could be interesting too, but they will need a mobo to go with them. Alder Lake should be good but consider you may need to move to Win11 if not already. AMD side 5800X is obvious choice to me. No need to go high end mobo since OC is pretty dead. Decent mid range board for any of these will suffice.

I don't plan on selling my older parts, figure I just give them to my nephews to tinker with. 

I'm apprehensive about getting used parts since it involves more research and like you said the cost might not be worth it.

As for MoBo, I 100% agree not needing the higher end of any platform. I'm not OCing, don't need Wi-Fi nor high speed LAN.

2 minutes ago, theoflow said:

I don't plan on selling my older parts, figure I just give them to my nephews to tinker with. 

Ok, that changes things a bit since I was working on the assumption a quick upgrade to CPU only might be an easy path.

2 minutes ago, theoflow said:

As for MoBo, I 100% agree not needing the higher end of any platform. I'm not OCing, don't need Wi-Fi nor high speed LAN.

An Alder Lake CPU with some B660 chipset mobo is probably optimal then. Older gen CPUs sold new don't tend to drop much in price.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible