Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD Drivers - Are they really an issue?

So I purchased this card back in late 2020

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089X36WRJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and performance wise it's ran everything fast and no complaints. Except the last 4-5 months, I've had increasing BSOD's.

The errors in the dump have ranged a lot but some have mentioned memory, some seem to relate to storage in general, it's kinda been all over the place. I've tested storage, memory, and tests all comeback fine. There also seems to be no trigger; sometimes I'm gaming, sometimes I'm web browsing, sometimes I'm not even doing anything. At the height of the problem, it was BSOD'ing several times a day, now it's once a week since the windows reinstall. I was pretty sure it was windows acting up but I did a reinstall of windows 10 and it was great for a bit but I'm still getting BSOD's. Not very often mind you, but they're coming every now and then still. And I saw someone talk about AMD drivers causing lots of problems. Since the GPU hasn't changed, I'm wondering if that's what's going on. And if that's the issue, is there an older driver version more stable or anything I can try?

Ran a 5700 for a year, 0 issues.

Been running a 6800 for a year, 1 issue, related to the ultra-low power state feature (meant for SLI and which AMD really should just remove now), fixed by disabling ulps.

AMD drivers haven't always been great in the past but any problem people have with AMD cards now becomes part of a memetic narrative whereas any problems people have with Nvidia cards are just treated as random isolated anecdotes. 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

Not really an issue anymore.

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

HGST Ultrastar: The last HDD you'll ever need to buy (and the one I always recommend).

Schrödinger's CPU: The Q9650. Is it irrelevant? Is it not? 

thanks for the info. Well it looks like I'm down to checking more of those recent dump files and then starting to save money and switching hardware. I'm wondering with how many various errors i've had if it's the motherboard interacting with memory storage etc

Have run in recent history AMD GPUs for the past 5+ years or so and the worse you could say they do is run the cards with way too much voltage and overheat.

Vega 64, RX 570, RX 580, RX 5700XT....all run great...when you tweak the voltages and fan curves.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i9-10900KF 5.1-5.3ghz @ 1.375v // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX // 32GB (4x8) Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 4000/CL18 // ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Glorious GMMK TKL // Logitech G502 Hero // Corsair Void Pro RGB

Wife's System: i9-9900K Stock // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200 // ASUS KO RTX 3070 // Cooler Master Master Box NR400 ODD // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB SAMSUNG 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B/AOC AGON AG241QX/ASUS VG248QE // Glorious GMMK TKL // Logitech G502 Hero // Corsair Void Pro RGB // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: i7-8700K 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Deepcool Gamerstorm Assassin III // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX 5700XT RAW II // Corsair 275R Airflow // Corsair 650M Vengeance 650w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

TV Gamer 2 - Resurrected: i5-11400F // ID COOLING SE-224-XT Black // MSI B560M-A PRO // 16GB (2x8) ADATA XPG DDR4 3200 // Power Color Fighter Radeon RX 6600 // NZXT S340 White // Deep Cool RF120x3 // EVGA 550 GA // 1TB SAMSUNG 860 EVO // Display: 55" LG 4K TV // Wireless keyboard/touchpad // Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i7-8700 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB (2x8) GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // EVGA XC RTX 3060 // Corsair 275R Airflow // EVGA Supernova G5 650W Gold // 525GB Crucial MX300/1TB WD SN550 // Display: ACER Nitro VG240Y PBiip / Dell P2417H // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350K // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 8GB (2x4) Leven DDR4 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: ASUS VG245H // Corsair K60 Pro SE // Logitech G203

Ryzen 5 1600 // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M Retired.

For me the recent ones have been very good. I've used a 5500 XT for nearly 2 years with 0 issues and an RX 6600 for a few weeks, with 1 minor issue (power limit resets sometimes when booting pc). Honestly in the month I used an Nvidia card I had more (minor) problems than the 2 years with AMD.

Have you tried rolling back drivers? 21.10.2 has been good for a lot of people from what I've heard.

PSU Tier List | SSD Tier List | GPU Hierarchy

Mark my answer as solution if it answered your question :). Quote or tag me so I get notified of your reply.

My PC: 

CPU: i5-10400F | GPU: Powercolor RX 6600 Fighter 8gb | SSD: Crucial MX500 500gb | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb | PSU: Corsair RM650x (2018) | Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 | Case: Antec DP301M

My peripherals:

Monitor: AOC C24G2U & Samsung SR35 | Headset: Steelseries Arctis 3 | Keyboard: Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G703 | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK Edge XL

Just now, Shimmy Gummi said:

Have run in recent history AMD GPUs for the past 5+ years or so and the worse you could say they do is run the cards with way too much voltage and overheat.

Vega 64, RX 570, RX 580, RX 5700XT....all run great...when you tweak the voltages and fan curves.

I've never really messed with power and fan curves or any fine tuning. Honestly I've been procrastinating on getting into pc maintenance. Just a lot of stuff going on at home and haven't had time to really get into all the settings and tweak. Where do I start with tweaking the voltages?

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

For me the recent ones have been very good. I've used a 5500 XT for nearly 2 years with 0 issues and an RX 6600 for a few weeks, with 1 minor issue (power limit resets sometimes when booting pc). Honestly in the month I used an Nvidia card I had more (minor) problems than the 2 years with AMD.

Have you tried rolling back drivers? 21.10.2 has been good for a lot of people from what I've heard.

I'll give that a try when I get home from work, thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm on the newest updated drivers

The symptoms described to me point to a generally unstable system, and not GPU related. Without knowing what the system is, there's three things I've done that have helped when I encountered similar in the past:

1, turn off XMP. It is never 100% guaranteed to be stable even if it seems fine in short term. If this helps as a diagnostic step, then you might try tinkering with ram settings to improve stability at higher speeds. This happens a lot if the CPU/mobo/ram don't agree with each other. Had this on both Intel and AMD systems. Ram that works fine in one system might not work in another.

2a, if the mobo has bad power delivery, reducing power limit to CPU might help. Had a case of this on Intel system. Setting long term power limit to TDP got rid of crashes.

2b, if the mobo has bad defaults, increasing voltage offset to CPU might help. Had a case of this on AMD system. Setting voltage offset to +0.05V reduced the crashes a lot, but didn't eliminate them. Changing mobo fixed it. Mobo was fine with different CPU.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

The symptoms described to me point to a generally unstable system, and not GPU related. Without knowing what the system is, there's three things I've done that have helped when I encountered similar in the past:

1, turn off XMP. It is never 100% guaranteed to be stable even if it seems fine in short term. If this helps as a diagnostic step, then you might try tinkering with ram settings to improve stability at higher speeds. This happens a lot if the CPU/mobo/ram don't agree with each other. Had this on both Intel and AMD systems. Ram that works fine in one system might not work in another.

2a, if the mobo has bad power delivery, reducing power limit to CPU might help. Had a case of this on Intel system. Setting long term power limit to TDP got rid of crashes.

2b, if the mobo has bad defaults, increasing voltage offset to CPU might help. Had a case of this on AMD system. Setting voltage offset to +0.05V reduced the crashes a lot, but didn't eliminate them. Changing mobo fixed it. Mobo was fine with different CPU.

Yeah I guess my reckoning is due for not going through all these settings earlier. Time to take a bios deep dive it seems

I have amd cards for years, nvidia also. Its the same really. 

Issues hapend when you change from nvidia to amd or the other way around, you really need to use DDU. 

On this day I think amd wins the cake, the drivers are good to look at, they have loads of options and you can even have an app on you phone to control your gpu.