ASRock B660M Steel Legend.

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

For the Pentium you want to use, no. For an i7 or i9 if you wanted to upgrade to one of those in the future, you probably will have power throttling issues unless you start pointing a fan directly at the VRM when the system is under full load. 

If you aren't gonna be drawing over 100W like you won't with anything lower than a 12600K, it's more than enough. If you throw in a 12700, I'd expect the board to power throttle and you to get reduced performance under full load. 

I'm not using it for gaming, just for a NAS, but I heard its VRM is bad? Will it affect anything?

Hello.

Your typical prebuilt NAS runs off a low-power dual-core CPU, so there is basically nothing you could ask any chip you put in this to do as a NAS that will tax the VRM in any way.

I don't know why you would build a NAS that's going to end up being so large and have such overkill specs, but I assume you have your reasons. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Your typical prebuilt NAS runs off a low-power dual-core CPU, so there is basically nothing you could ask any chip you put in this to do as a NAS that will tax the VRM in any way.

I don't know why you would build a NAS that's going to end up being so large and have such overkill specs, but I assume you have your reasons. 

Wdym overkill specs?

Hello.

For the Pentium you want to use, no. For an i7 or i9 if you wanted to upgrade to one of those in the future, you probably will have power throttling issues unless you start pointing a fan directly at the VRM when the system is under full load. 

If you aren't gonna be drawing over 100W like you won't with anything lower than a 12600K, it's more than enough. If you throw in a 12700, I'd expect the board to power throttle and you to get reduced performance under full load. 

4 minutes ago, TechguyCin said:

Wdym overkill specs?

I mean that a NAS doesn't need to be a full-fledged desktop computer on a modern mid-tier platform. it's a waste. I wouldn't build a NAS out of desktop parts unless it was almost entirely old components I just had sitting around. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Is he ever going to realistically put a 12600k or up in a NAS?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Is he ever going to realistically put a 12600k or up in a NAS?

I mean, if you want to experiment with running VMs or something in it, then yeah a 12600K or 12700 might make sense so you can get threads to work with, but you're not realistically gonna have the chip under full load so it doesn't really matter. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, if you want to experiment with running VMs or something in it, then yeah a 12600K or 12700 might make sense so you can get threads to work with, but you're not realistically gonna have the chip under full load so it doesn't really matter. 

It does rather depend.  I have a monthly clamscan on my server which can really hammer the CPU, especially on SSDs.

Granted, I built it as a server not a NAS, it just happens to also be my NAS.  But I'd argue its always better to have more CPU than you need, than end up bottlenecking your performance at some point.

A pre-built NAS isn't necessarily low power because it only needs to be, they're low power because they're aiming to make the most profit on them.  For years the lower models were grossly underpowered and would bottleneck on a single HDD, fortunately I believe they're a lot better these days as they have to cope with SSDs and potentially VMs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7