Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

networking problem, hopefully there is a fix

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
1 minute ago, nolukjustskil said:

yeah, the internet is ran to the whole area and paid for by the landlords... they gave me a static IP, would plugging in a router and using the static IP make it so i can open the port needed for the server to run?

The ISP will have to do some configuring on their end (ie call them back) but with a publicly accessible IP and a open router you would be able to forward ports for your game and anything else you want to run. Yes. I'd just do everything by the book though so there's no surprises. Don't wanna piss off the landlord if the bill increases a tad.

ok, so i spent 5 days talking to my ISP and apparently they cant forward/open ports. i also cant access the router, no matter what address i put in, the one on the back of the router, the one from ipconfig all give "cant be reached" error. what they said they could do is give me a static IP address and i could put that into a 2nd router... so i guess what my question is, if i get 2nd router and open the ports needed, does it bypass router 1 closed ports? its crazy that i cant play an online game (ARK) with friends because the server cant be reached because my ISP has everything on lockdown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the make and model of the router you have?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't reach the webinterface on the IP address of the standard gateway ?

You can get the IP from network properties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

every IP address ive tried hasnt worked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

What is the make and model of the router you have?

its a ruckus H510

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What model router is this? Is it the ISP's? What IP did you use from the output of ipconfig? The gateway doesn't show up unless you use ipconfig /all.

 

I don't know how they would plan to do the physical hook-up but a second router that isn't locked down would be a completely separate network. So your computer would have to go through that connection and not be able to communicate with anything else on the other router.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What model router is this? Is it the ISP's? What IP did you use from the output of ipconfig? The gateway doesn't show up unless you use ipconfig /all.

 

I don't know how they would plan to do the physical hook-up but a second router that isn't locked down would be a completely separate network. So your computer would have to go through that connection and not be able to communicate with anything else on the other router.

router is a ruckus H510. i used the default gateway out of ipconfig... here is the message the tech sent me. maybe you understand better....
"This system does not operate in the traditional modem/router way that you are referring to and we cannot open those ports up for you. What we would be able to offer you is a statically assigned public IP address that you would configure on your own router and that router would get plugged into one of the ports on the Ruckus access point. If you have your own router or will be getting one please let us know so we can send you the IP information to be assigned to it. Please use the following IP information for your router, please connect the router's WAN port to LAN4 on the Ruckus access point, once configured you can move the device you will be running the gaming server on to the LAN side of your router."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nolukjustskil said:

router is a ruckus H510. i used the default gateway out of ipconfig... here is the message the tech sent me. maybe you understand better....
"This system does not operate in the traditional modem/router way that you are referring to and we cannot open those ports up for you. What we would be able to offer you is a statically assigned public IP address that you would configure on your own router and that router would get plugged into one of the ports on the Ruckus access point. If you have your own router or will be getting one please let us know so we can send you the IP information to be assigned to it. Please use the following IP information for your router, please connect the router's WAN port to LAN4 on the Ruckus access point, once configured you can move the device you will be running the gaming server on to the LAN side of your router."

Based on everything I'm reading the Ruckus H510 is not a Router. It's a network Switch/AP combo. Which makes me question how your ISP's WAN works. I'm going to guess NAT64-CGN. You're probably clustered in with neighbors running the same ISP and one router that you don't/will not have access to as it services multiple homes.

 

I would ask the ISP if there's any additional service fee's associated with setting up your own Router in the house and using a Static IP from the ISP. You could punch through their WAN with a VPN potentially but there would be a lot of setup on your end and monthly fees involved. Also additional latency which wouldn't help you in online games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Based on everything I'm reading the Ruckus H510 is not a Router. It's a network Switch/AP combo. Which makes me question how your ISP's WAN works. I'm going to guess NAT64-CGN. You're probably clustered in with neighbors running the same ISP and one router that you don't/will not have access to as it services multiple homes.

 

I would ask the ISP if there's any additional service fee's associated with setting up your own Router in the house and using a Static IP from the ISP. You could punch through their WAN with a VPN potentially but there would be a lot of setup on your end and monthly fees involved. Also additional latency which wouldn't help you in online games.

yeah, the internet is ran to the whole area and paid for by the landlords... they gave me a static IP, would plugging in a router and using the static IP make it so i can open the port needed for the server to run?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nolukjustskil said:

yeah, the internet is ran to the whole area and paid for by the landlords... they gave me a static IP, would plugging in a router and using the static IP make it so i can open the port needed for the server to run?

The ISP will have to do some configuring on their end (ie call them back) but with a publicly accessible IP and a open router you would be able to forward ports for your game and anything else you want to run. Yes. I'd just do everything by the book though so there's no surprises. Don't wanna piss off the landlord if the bill increases a tad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

The ISP will have to do some configuring on their end (ie call them back) but with a publicly accessible IP and a open router you would be able to forward ports for your game and anything else you want to run. Yes. I'd just do everything by the book though so there's no surprises. Don't wanna piss off the landlord if the bill increases a tad.

awesome! thank you so much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×