New ASUS 3080 shuts down computer during gaming

Hi,

So I bought a new Asus Strix 3080 LHR GPU and it’s crashing during gaming, but not during stress testing.

I’ve tested the system with OCCT Power Test, which stresses both the GPU and CPU and it runs completely fine.

I’ve done a clean install of the drivers with DDU.

Now the strange part comes that there doesn’t seem to be a PSU clipping sound when that happens, and after it’s shut down I can’t turn it back on using the normal power button of the case. And I have to shut the power supply off and then back on from its button.

My system is:

Ryzen 5900X

RTX 3080 LHR (Asus Strix White)

and the power supply, which you could say is underpowered (and you wouldn’t be wrong), but works during stress tests - Seasonic FX Gold 650

Stress test is constant load, during gaming the power probably spikes and triggers the load protection.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

How long are you stress testing for compared to your gaming session? Do you have an OC on your CPU?

4 minutes ago, Kaloyan Doychinov said:

Hi,

So I bought a new Asus Strix 3080 LHR GPU and it’s crashing during gaming, but not during stress testing.

I’ve tested the system with OCCT Power Test, which stresses both the GPU and CPU and it runs completely fine.

I’ve done a clean install of the drivers with DDU.

Now the strange part comes that there doesn’t seem to be a PSU clipping sound when that happens, and after it’s shut down I can’t turn it back on using the normal power button of the case. And I have to shut the power supply off and then back on from its button.

My system is:

Ryzen 5900X

RTX 3080 LHR (Asus Strix White)

and the power supply, which you could say is underpowered (and you wouldn’t be wrong), but works during stress tests - Seasonic FX Gold 650

What stress test? Multiple stress tests have been nerfed in the driver or are seen as a power virus by drivers and thus the card slows itself down to prevent damage.

Also keep in mind when stress testing a gpu it's only the gpu doing something nothing else. During gaming the whole pc is working.

But flat out a 650w psu won't work with a 3080 basically ever.

2 minutes ago, johnt said:

How long are you stress testing for compared to your gaming session? Do you have an OC on your CPU?

Before I tested the GPU, I loaded the factory default, so even the RAM wasn’t overclocked as usual. I’ve ran 2 different stress tests for about 20 to 30 minutes. While when I start Cyberpunk 2077 - it shuts off after 3 minutes more or less.

PSUs don't always latch off though, you may not hear a clipping noise or see blue light on the rear, but the fact that you have to use the rocker power switch is saying this is probably related to PSU. That card probably has dual BIOS, mine has a Performance Mode and a Quiet Mode, not sure as to how it would affect consumption... but might be worth a try. There should be a tiny switch on top of the card to change modes. Or just do it from Afterburner. Limit your power consumption, the CPU could also be limited to low power mode from BIOS. See if it still shuts down. Oh and, lock your FPS to your refresh rate.

5 minutes ago, Kaloyan Doychinov said:

- Seasonic FX Gold 650

you know recomended is 750? . 

it's quite normal behaviour to shut down during games for underpowered gpu's..

I don't understand how come you got a 5900x,a 3080 and still using 650 watt PSU?

You need a new PSU immediately, otherwise it could potentially damage your component especially GPU and motherboard.

The higher end 30 series Nvidia GPUs are known to have transient loads(short duration power spikes) that exceeds the rated power draw by a significant margin. This can trip some PSUs especially on the budget side. 

GN made a video about it recently. its worth a watch.

I would recommend a 850W good quality PSU for a 3080

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

49 minutes ago, Kaloyan Doychinov said:

the power supply, which you could say is underpowered (and you wouldn’t be wrong), but works during stress tests - Seasonic FX Gold 650

If I'm not mistaken, the older FX models of the Focus line specifically had problems with transient power draw. It reared its ugly head during the Radeon Vega era, when those cards were noted to have some pretty aggressive spikes, shutting down even FX PSUs that should have been able to handle them.

If it were a newer 650 watt PSU, it's possible you'd not be having this problem, but as others have suggested, the 30 series is aggressive with power spikes and could use a higher wattage unit like 750.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

If I'm not mistaken, the older FX models of the Focus line specifically had problems with transient power draw. It reared its ugly head during the Radeon Vega era, when those cards were noted to have some pretty aggressive spikes, shutting down even FX PSUs that should have been able to handle them.

If it were a newer 650 watt PSU, it's possible you'd not be having this problem, but as others have suggested, the 30 series is aggressive with power spikes and could use a higher wattage unit like 750.

I think get as well RTX 3080 do I need new PSU as well ? Currently have Seasonic PX 850W Platinum any chance that it will get same issue ? I use as well Ryzen 5900X CPU.

12 hours ago, Kaloyan Doychinov said:

Before I tested the GPU, I loaded the factory default, so even the RAM wasn’t overclocked as usual. I’ve ran 2 different stress tests for about 20 to 30 minutes. While when I start Cyberpunk 2077 - it shuts off after 3 minutes more or less.

You could try turning down the settings to see if it's truly a power spike issue. Also you could try a frame limiter. I am not sure if the game has one built in, most AAA titles do nowadays, but you could also limit it from the Geforce program.

a 5900x with a 3080 should never have a 650w PSU.  I wouldn't even run a 750 on that.  850w is where id feel comfortable.