Thunderbolt to HDMI Solution for m1pro MacBook

BojPet

Hi there!

Maybe someone here can help me, I am looking for a capable Thunderbolt Adapter/Dock/anything that has two HDMI Outputs for use on my M1 Pro 14“. I was looking for adapters but the standards are really confusing.

It should be able to handle WQHD at at least 120Hz on both screens and preferably have at least one USB 3.0 Type A Port on it as well.

Has anyone here maybe solved this for themselves already? I want to be able to connect two monitors to my MacBook (via the left side, so that I don’t have cables hanging from my Laptop from both sides) and just couldn’t find anything except crappy dongles that only support screen duplication and 500€ Thunderbolt Docks.

I‘d appreciate any input!

cheers!

34 minutes ago, BojPet said:

Hi there!

Maybe someone here can help me, I am looking for a capable Thunderbolt Adapter/Dock/anything that has two HDMI Outputs for use on my M1 Pro 14“. I was looking for adapters but the standards are really confusing.

It should be able to handle WQHD at at least 120Hz on both screens and preferably have at least one USB 3.0 Type A Port on it as well.

Has anyone here maybe solved this for themselves already? I want to be able to connect two monitors to my MacBook (via the left side, so that I don’t have cables hanging from my Laptop from both sides) and just couldn’t find anything except crappy dongles that only support screen duplication and 500€ Thunderbolt Docks.

I‘d appreciate any input!

cheers!

My memory is wqhd is a bit over 1440p. Basically a 1440p monitor with a bit extra slapped onto the bottom because it is more square.  About 3k or so.  So that at 120hz would be 6k.  Need a big gpu to pull that without dropping frames. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is wqhd is a bit over 1440p. Basically a 1440p monitor with a bit extra slapped onto the bottom because it is more square.  About 3k or so.  So that at 120hz would be 6k.  Need a big gpu to pull that without dropping frames. 

WQHD is 1440p. Even HDMI 2.0 can handle WQHD (or QHD) at 144Hz fine. And the M1Pro can drive multiple 6k Displays just fine. I am looking for a product though, but thanks for your input.

EDIT: 2560x1440p to be precise. that is just 16:9

1 hour ago, BojPet said:

crappy dongles that only support screen duplication and 500€ Thunderbolt Docks.

Thats became the M1 Mac can only support 1 external screen. I think any more requires an adapter with Display link. Basically the cheap dongles are USB C and the $500 docks are thunderbolt. The USB C dongles generally cant do multiple screens from what I have seen. You will need to invest in a Thunderbolt dock and yes its going to be expensive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Thats became the M1 Mac can only support 1 external screen. I think any more requires an adapter with Display link. Basically the cheap dongles are USB C and the $500 docks are thunderbolt. The USB C dongles generally cant do multiple screens from what I have seen. You will need to invest in a Thunderbolt dock and yes its going to be expensive. 

M1 Pro supports 2 external displays. I can in fact use two USB-C Dongles, stick them in to each other and plug an hdmi cable into both and i get two external displays just fine. But they are capped to 60FPS at 1440p.

2 hours ago, BojPet said:

WQHD is 1440p. Even HDMI 2.0 can handle WQHD (or QHD) at 144Hz fine. And the M1Pro can drive multiple 6k Displays just fine. I am looking for a product though, but thanks for your input.

EDIT: 2560x1440p to be precise. that is just 16:9

I’ve got a wqhd monitor.   Or one that claims to be such anyway.  I think anyway.  All the writing is in Korean.  It’s bigger than 1440p.  not by a ton, but by a bit.  It’s as wide as a 1440p monitor but squarer.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve got a wqhd monitor.   Or one that claims to be such anyway.  I think anyway.  All the writing is in Korean.  It’s bigger than 1440p.  not by a ton, but by a bit.  It’s as wide as a 1440p monitor but squarer.

Please stop this nonsensical arguing and just google it. 1440p is called QHD or WQHD. The "W" simply stands for the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-05 um 16.45.37.png

EDIT: Didn't mean for it to sound this aggressive but this is not related to my topic at all.

1 minute ago, BojPet said:

Please stop this nonsensical arguing and just google it. 1440p is called QHD or WQHD. The "W" simply stands for the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-05 um 16.45.37.png

Found the box.  Monitor claims 2560x1600

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Found the box.  Monitor claims 2560x1600

I suppose, that is your specific monitor's weirdness. it has nothing to do with what WQHD is. Resolutions and their names get thrown around in marketing speech all the time.

19 minutes ago, BojPet said:

I suppose, that is your specific monitor's weirdness. it has nothing to do with what WQHD is. Resolutions and their names get thrown around in marketing speech all the time.

True.  The box is weird.  It claims to have hdmi for example but the monitor is dual dvi only.  It’s a crossover 30q5 pro

4 hours ago, BojPet said:

M1 Pro supports 2 external displays. I can in fact use two USB-C Dongles, stick them in to each other and plug an hdmi cable into both and i get two external displays just fine. But they are capped to 60FPS at 1440p.

Is that with the laptop screen on? Apple shows one external display up to 6K. 

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP824?locale=en_US

I have the last gen Intel MacBook Pro. If I can upgrade to the Apple silicon version in a few years and do 2 external screens I’ll be tickled pink. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Is that with the laptop screen on? Apple shows one external display up to 6K. 

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP824?locale=en_US

I have the last gen Intel MacBook Pro. If I can upgrade to the Apple silicon version in a few years and do 2 external screens I’ll be tickled pink. 

Again, I have an M1 Pro equipped MacBook. That would be the 14“ or 16“ MacBook Pro.

They support 2 external Displays via Thundebolt (and I think one extra via the HDMI Port).

M1 and M1 Pro have different limitations.