How do I get my Video Card run at X16 on my PCIE 3.0X16 lane?

TastyPotato

I've been using this PC for 2 years now and I haven't really paid attention on the board explorer feature on my motherboard's BIOS. I am using an RX 480 and techpowerup listed the bus interface utilizes a PCIe 3.0 x16 lane. However, yesterday I noticed that my GPU is only running at X4 on my X16 capable PCIE lane. I want to know how do I get it to run on the 16 lane so I can utilize the full potential of my PC even if it only offer small improvement if at all.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600

16GB DDR4 RAM

Sappire RX 480 8GB

MSI B450M Mortar Max

IMG_0160.JPG

Reseat the GPU and clear CMOS. Check it again once booted up.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

If you have other PCI devices attached you may find that the motherboard shares the lanes amongst devices, refer to its manual to see if this is the case providing you have multiple devices.

May also be worth updating the BIOS to the latest version.

32 minutes ago, MrMase said:

If you have other PCI devices attached you may find that the motherboard shares the lanes amongst devices, refer to its manual to see if this is the case providing you have multiple devices.

May also be worth updating the BIOS to the latest version.

Nah, this board has only PCIe3x16 on the CPU  can't share it

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

The video card will dynamically change the number of pci-e lanes and pci-e version to save power.

If you're idling in Windows or just watching a Youtube video, the card will switch to use only 4 pci-e lanes because it doesn't need 16 just to update the 2d stuff of Windows and play a video. 

Leave GPU-Z running in background and start a more intensive game and alt-tab and you should see in gpu-z the card using more than 4 pci-e lanes. 

Also, there's various benchmarks that test pci-e bandwidth you can also try one of those and see the card switch to max. bandwidth. 

26 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The video card will dynamically change the number of pci-e lanes and pci-e version to save power.

If you're idling in Windows or just watching a Youtube video, the card will switch to use only 4 pci-e lanes because it doesn't need 16 just to update the 2d stuff of Windows and play a video. 

Leave GPU-Z running in background and start a more intensive game and alt-tab and you should see in gpu-z the card using more than 4 pci-e lanes. 

Also, there's various benchmarks that test pci-e bandwidth you can also try one of those and see the card switch to max. bandwidth. 

Ah if this is the case my recommendation would be to push the card using Furmark and check