Creating a database, for someone who has never created databases

Hello, everybody! As usual- apology if I am pasting this in the wrong forum, but from what I found this seems to be the place.

I am trying to create a database that has two "main" tables of information- one containing the info of all the workers (name, occupation and so on, just basic info), and the other containing all the hardware the workplace poses- something like an inventory/log book with types, models and full (where applicable) specs of the machines (be they laptops, printers etc.). Along side this I wish there are a few "slave" tables with information about specific changes to X and Y machines.
First of all I have never created actual databases only excel tables with different filters, conditional formatting and a few basics formulas here and there. I've been hitting my head against the wall for a few days now, trying to create an actual database. Currently using LibreOffice Base for it, but I am not sure how suitable this is.
My end goal is something like this: The user loads up the database and he has two lists: of the workers and of the hardware- if he clicks a worker he sees all the hardware he poses and uses. And if he clicks a hardware he sees who posses it alongside some info/history of the machine- who used it before, what changes have been made to it and so on.
As of right now I managed to create a database with single master- the hardware so when I click on a machine I see who uses it, but for the life of me I can't get it the other way around at the same time.
Does my idea make any sense in the world of databases or should I rethink it from the ground up? Is a database really what I need here, or some other way of keeping track of it all would suffice? Is LibreOffice suitable for the task?

Thank you all in advance, and sorry if I've used wrong terms/words and whatnot (English isn't my main language) or if it seems like I am looking for the easy way out. I've tried coming up with the answer myself, but at this point I am just stuck.

A database is definitely suitable for storing the type of data you're talking about. Unfortunately your typical database (MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, …) doesn't come with a "user interface". It's a place for storing data. You'll usually want a program that can read/write said data and provides a nice GUI to go along with it.

I'm not familiar with LibreOffice Base, but a quick read suggests that it simply serves as a management front end for databases like the ones I mentioned. So it's probably not really suited for end users as well. Meaning you can use it to create a database and insert/query data with raw SQL queries, but not something your typical user would use for data entry.

I'm sure there are ready made solutions for this kind of inventory keeping. Unless you're a development company trying to create such a system for sale, it's usually more cost effective to buy an existing solution rather than trying to create and maintain your own, especially if you're not a developer.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Meaning you can use it to create a database and insert/query data with raw SQL queries, but not something your typical user would use for data entry.

There are forms and reports in LO Base (and MS Access) that can make it easier for the end user to query or insert data but yes, someone still has to create the schema, forms and reports.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'm sure there are ready made solutions for this kind of inventory keeping.

This! Go with an "off the shelf" solution. It will save you from a lot of pain and headaches.

ಠ_ಠ

@Eigenvektor, @shadow_ray, thank you both for the replies! Both informative and guiding me in a direction. I might end up sticking around with basic tables for the time being, while digging deeper into databases (and GUIs for them) and which one would be best to invest in. Again- Thank you!