MacBook keeps dropping out of hotspot and WiFi.

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this forum stuff as I rarely encounter issues with the stuff I use. But as the tittle states my MacBook Pro 13" keeps dropping out of my phones hotspot. When I say drop out, I connect it and drops out after around 5 seconds consistently, this also happens at home and at Uni over WiFi resulting in me solving the issue by using a Ethernet to thunderbolt but this solution only works at home.

Needless to say this has gotten on my nerves quite considerably. My phone is a iPhone 12 mini so it is new and when I hotspot it works perfectly for my iPad and Switch with no dropping out. I have restarted my MacBook multiple times and made sure to keep it up to date, same goes with my phone. The hotspot does work when my phone is plugged into my laptop but this isn't always convenient particularly when I am on the move.

The MacBook Pro 13inch is a late 2018 model with other issues that keep coming up (like overheating with just a single word document, and show lighting on the screen) so I don't know if it is do do with age or if the WiFi card is on it's last legs. Any advice would by very appreciated as I do need this for my education.

22 hours ago, Big_Dumb_Dumb said:

WiFi card is on it's last legs.

this is probably what is happened. i think that the entire laptop is on its last legs actually given the problems u r describing. u could try to reinstall mac os and see is that helps. take a backup before doing it tho. 

16 hours ago, killswitch6000 said:

this is probably what is happened. i think that the entire laptop is on its last legs actually given the problems u r describing. u could try to reinstall mac os and see is that helps. take a backup before doing it tho. 

Yeah I just got back from a trip so I will do that when I have time.