Crucial P5 Plus M.2 2280 - Capacitor broken off in the box (twice in a row)

Spumonifresh
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

I can't tell what it is... if the color is light brown/cream then it's a capacitor, if the color is more charcoal/black it could be an inductor or a fuse ... it could also be a resistor 

I'd say return it.  If the product got such mechanical shock that the capacitor broke, it could be the solder on other smaller components is cracked or weakened and with multiple heating and cooling cycles other parts could break or get unreliable connections (part looks connected but there's a "micro fracture" in the solder and no connection). 

maybe ask them to ship it to you in a bigger box, maybe wrapped in bubble wrap or something, to handle shocks better.

Anyone know what this capacitor (or maybe resistor) on this Crucial P5 Plus M.2 SSD might be for?

Bought this SSD online and twice in a row, the same pcb part has been broken in the box.

Think I can get it soldered back on? Or not worth the effort, should just ask for a 3rd replacement?

20220705_171801.jpg

20220705_171634.jpg

I think I would ask for a third replacement, and ask your local delivery people to be a little more careful with your packages. I had a WD Blue M.2 arrive with a couple other goodies about two years ago, with one whole corner of the box they were shipped in crushed to 1/3 height. No visible damage to the packages inside that box, but incidentally, my motherboard shut down before I got any of it working. I exchanged the parts while waiting for an RMA for my motherboard, because I wasn't sure what had happened. MSI never really told me what happened. But I digress. I do think this could be a shipping / handling issue though.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I can't tell what it is... if the color is light brown/cream then it's a capacitor, if the color is more charcoal/black it could be an inductor or a fuse ... it could also be a resistor 

I'd say return it.  If the product got such mechanical shock that the capacitor broke, it could be the solder on other smaller components is cracked or weakened and with multiple heating and cooling cycles other parts could break or get unreliable connections (part looks connected but there's a "micro fracture" in the solder and no connection). 

maybe ask them to ship it to you in a bigger box, maybe wrapped in bubble wrap or something, to handle shocks better.

i agree with the others, return it for sure. it may be worth contacting where you purchased it from and asking for better packaging. sure it might get tossed around in shipping, and it would be nice if packages were handled with care, but that's not usually how shipping works, and it should be packaged accordingly imo.