Android Tv Where Do Apps Installed Via Usb Go

Vega11

so on my android tv i installed a vpn app and a media player app via a usb stick both installed fine but when i go to apps they do not show up

so where would these 2 apps be located

thank you

34 minutes ago, Vega11 said:

so on my android tv i installed a vpn app and a media player app via a usb stick both installed fine but when i go to apps they do not show up

so where would these 2 apps be located

thank you

Might depend on the TV.  Android is sort of Linux.  Not sure if there is terminal access or not.  If there is there are some shell commands that could find it though they could take awhile.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

There should be an "Apps" tab on the home screen that shows installed apps.

https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6121336?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhats-on-your-home-screen%2Cadd-find-apps

What command did you use to install these apps?

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Might depend on the TV.  Android is sort of Linux.  Not sure if there is terminal access or not.  If there is there are some shell commands that could find it though they could take awhile.

Apps on Android go to /data/app, however that directory is inaccessible, unless the device is rooted. Going there isn't going to help you though, this is not like regular Linux where you'll find an executable file. You can use adb (on a PC connected via USB, if developer mode is enabled) to find the launcher activity:

adb shell monkey -p com.package.name 1

When you know the launcher activity, you can open the app through adb with

adb shell am start -n com.package.name/com.package.name.ActivityName

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

22 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

There should be an "Apps" tab on the home screen that shows installed apps.

https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6121336?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhats-on-your-home-screen%2Cadd-find-apps

What command did you use to install these apps?

Apps on Android go to /data/app, however that directory is inaccessible, unless the device is rooted. Going there isn't going to help you though, this is not like regular Linux where you'll find an executable file. You can use adb (on a PC connected via USB, if developer mode is enabled) to find the launcher activity:

adb shell monkey -p com.package.name 1

When you know the launcher activity, you can open the app through adb with

adb shell am start -n com.package.name/com.package.name.ActivityName

Yuck.  Sounds like a PITA

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yuck.  Sounds like a PITA

It's also not really how you're supposed to interact with a device like this. There's a reason this needs dev-mode to be enabled 😉 There should normally be a list with all apps where you simply click the app you want to launch, just like on a smartphone.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply