Issues with a Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM kit

Long story short, i bought a new 16gb RAM kit from corsair, wanted to upgrade to 32gb, i have an older 16gb also from corsair. i got a lot of issues with the new ram installed, BSOD, the PC can work all day with the 32gb installed but won´t boot the next day.

Here are the system specs

MB: MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

Old RAM kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz

New RAM kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz

GPU: RX 5700XT

I conducted a lot of test to see if the new ram was faulty.

4 Windows memory diagnostics: none of them throw any error

Like 12 or more test with memtest: no errors

And MemTest86: no errors

There are some things i notice about my MB and the RAM, i can´t push any RAM kit to 3200, so i use it at 2933. I can´t use the old ram in the slots A2, B2 at 2933, and i can´t use the new RAM in A1, B1 slots at 2933. But i can use them at 2933 in the other slots.

Also, I test both ram kits in a Aorus B450m also with a 2700x. The old kit, i can set it to 3200, but new the kit, can´t set it to 3200,  only 2133.

I´m at a total loss here, i have no idea what is going on. At this point looks like a Mother Board issue, but still, that doesn´t explain why i can´t set the new kit to 3200 on the Aorus MB.

Ryzens are known to be funny about RAM and they don't seem to like Corsair. So it could be something different in the newer kit that the 2600 doesn't like. Lots of people posting issues like this specifically with Ryzen processors and Corsair RAM lately. I use Crucial Ballistix in two different Ryzens and nary a problem.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Welcome to older Ryzen. Exactly why I ditched mine a few days after I bought it. Horrible memory compatibility.

It could also be the RAM just not playing nicely together. Pretty rare, but it can happen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Maybe your 2 kits of RAM are not equal?

You say that the old one works fine without the new kit. And the new kit works by itself but cant reach 3200 MHz, right? the last part is weird. but that woul explain why the 4 sticks dont work together.

This is exactly why you dont mix and match ram kits, regardless of timings and speeds or if they're the same make and model they may still be incompatible, they are not tested from the factory to run together like a kit that all comes together is. Return the new kit and buy a kit of the exact size and speed you want. Sell your old ram after you get the new kit. 32GB 3200mhz kits of DDR4 are so cheap now paying the extra $30 over a 16GB is worth it to save you from the hassle of incompatible kits.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Could look into upgrading to a 3600x

Ryzen 1 and 2 are really shitty about RAM

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

So Corsair LPX is a crapshoot at the best of times,it's pretty well known at this point.

Here's a few handy tips for earlier Ryzen from Robert Hallock himself when it comes to compatibility. 

42 minutes ago, warhammer9480 said:

Long story short, i bought a new 16gb RAM kit from corsair, wanted to upgrade to 32gb, i have an older 16gb also from corsair. i got a lot of issues with the new ram installed, BSOD, the PC can work all day with the 32gb installed but won´t boot the next day.

Here are the system specs

MB: MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

Old RAM kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz

New RAM kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz

GPU: RX 5700XT

I conducted a lot of test to see if the new ram was faulty.

4 Windows memory diagnostics: none of them throw any error

Like 12 or more test with memtest: no errors

And MemTest86: no errors

There are some things i notice about my MB and the RAM, i can´t push any RAM kit to 3200, so i use it at 2933. I can´t use the old ram in the slots A2, B2 at 2933, and i can´t use the new RAM in A1, B1 slots at 2933. But i can use them at 2933 in the other slots.

Also, I test both ram kits in a Aorus B450m also with a 2700x. The old kit, i can set it to 3200, but new the kit, can´t set it to 3200,  only 2133.

I´m at a total loss here, i have no idea what is going on. At this point looks like a Mother Board issue, but still, that doesn´t explain why i can´t set the new kit to 3200 on the Aorus MB.

Are the two kits the same, as in the numbers on the ram sticks and revision numbers match up too?  You could have two different memory brands (Samsung and Micron, for example) trying to work together.  No likey!

Sounds like you may have ran into this horrible thing Corsair do with revisions of the RAM under the same model number e.g. v4.2 or v5.3 across the different versions.

I had this issue a few years back when quad channel was a thing on X99 platform and had to RMA one of the kits, Corsair shipped back a replacement kit using a different version despite me informing them it was being used in Quad Channel configuration so needed version matching.

Long story short ended up selling all of the RAM and swapping to G.Skill or Crucial depending on need and refuse to use Corsair for memory now due to the above issue causing a loss of hundreds of ££'s due to used market price against what I paid new.

I'm sorry you're going through this

However, I was informed Ryzen is not picky with RAM

I'd return it and go with some Patriot or G. Skill. I'd have said Crucial, but it seems they dipped out of the RAM market recently.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, MrMase said:

Sounds like you may have ran into this horrible thing Corsair do with revisions of the RAM under the same model number e.g. v4.2 or v5.3 across the different versions

I think that´s the problem, i just check, my old RAM is V4.32, the new RAM is 4.31

9 hours ago, warhammer9480 said:

I think that´s the problem, i just check, my old RAM is V4.32, the new RAM is 4.31

My recommendation at this stage then is to return the new kit and sell off the older kit.

Refer to your motherboard manufacturers compatibility list for memory and select the appropriate G.Skill set, good news is that I have had multiple kits from them and never had this issue.