Old office desktop revival project.

ObsoleteTech

So soon im going on vacation, and off coarse i have to have a backup plan if there is going to rain the entire 4 weeks... 

Background;

Bought an old desktop office machine featuring an Intel I5 4570, 8gb DDR3 and a spinning drive. Cost: 170usd. 

I put in a Geforce GT1030, an SSD and 16GB of RAM to make it capable of CAD and slicing for 3d-printing. And some light gaming like Gta V, CS:go and Rocket League. Modding: 100 usd. 

The system is quite snappy and for work and office applications i'm quite happy with the performance. It's even faster than my on paper at least twice as fast workstation laptop i have at work. 

But yesterday i wanted to put another hard drive in it, and there was a lack of SATA power so i modded the existing cabling and soldered in place one new connector. That made me wounder, could i make a at least descent gaming computer of it? 

Did som digging at work and found a server PSU, perfect, low profile form factor and loads of power. I was lucky to that the existing PSU is 12v only so like... Bolt on... Sort of... 

For POC i will use one of the 2 RTX 2070 super in our deep learning station at work and, with the help of a PCIE riser, put it outside the case. 

Some starting numbers:

RDR2 benchmark all low:

20 FPS low

35 FPS high

27 FPS ave. 

Opening an Excel file: 0,5 sec. 

I belive a 2070 is way overkill for that CPU but it will do as a POC because its free. 

Am i mad? 

And yes... It is a small form factor... 

Hope it rains all the vacation... Or else i migjt ride my motorbike instead... 

DSC_5590.JPG

DSC_5591.JPG

If equipped with something like a 1650 low profile (if needed) it would be pretty okay, would just need to stay limited on board power.

4th gen intel isn't great these days. I'd skip it and start with something at least 7th gen but 8th/9th would be better. Companies are clearing those out at 250ish rn

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup