How bad is an all exhaust case fan set up and how can I reconfigure my case fan system?

mgerber24
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

I would rather have all exhaust fan layout than all intake. If you were to just swap the orientation of the fans on the AIO, those would be intake fans.

This is my first time using this forum, so I hope I'm in the right place. Thanks in advance for any answers.

In my case (NZXT H500), I'm having trouble with a good fan setup. I currently have my watercooler toward the front of the case, and two exhaust fans out the back. I'm concerned because I don't have any dedicated intake fans, so I have lots of negative pressure. I'm not that concerned about dust, but I'm not sure how optimal this setup is. 

The case only has two mounting areas for fans, apart from the front which is taken up by my water cooler. Is my current setup okay, or is there a better configuration? Is having no intake fans acceptable? See attached picture below. 

IMG_5730.jpg

I would rather have all exhaust fan layout than all intake. If you were to just swap the orientation of the fans on the AIO, those would be intake fans.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just swap the front fans on intake (either reverse them in place behind the rad or put them on front)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

If you were to reverse the radiator fans, where would the air come in? that case looks completely closed, so weird that they didnt even make the top large enough for a 240 radiator

Gabinete NZXT H500 Ventana Midi-Tower ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini, CA-H500B-BR |  Cyberpuerta.mx

Welcome to the forums!
In this config it looks like fresh air would come up through the basement and the PCIe slots which, assuming you have zero hairy pets and are somewhat diligent about cleaning could be pretty ideal.

But as always, the best way to find out is fucking around. Benchmark, change fans, bench again. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, Jorgemeister said:

If you were to reverse the radiator fans, where would the air come in? that case looks completely closed, so weird that they didnt even make the top large enough for a 240 radiator

Gabinete NZXT H500 Ventana Midi-Tower ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini, CA-H500B-BR |  Cyberpuerta.mx

Urgg that's a baaaad case !

Well indeed there's no air for an intake but neither for an exhaust 🙂

At least having the front fans push air towards the rear will help the top and rear fans ...

Or maybe the less bad solution would be to put some fans at the bottom on intake

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Urgg that's a baaaad case !

Well indeed there's no air for an intake but neither for an exhaust 🙂

At least having the front fans push air towards the rear will help the top and rear fans ...

Or maybe the less bad solution would be to put some fans at the bottom on intake

But the PSU is there and it doesnt seem like it has grill for the bottom of the case besides the one for the PSU

NZXT H500i Review | PCMag

I guess that small grill on the front - bottom is all the air intake for the front. weird case though.

2 hours ago, Levent said:

i like to recommend the hottest option too. makes hw die but  hey

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

i like to recommend the hottest option too. makes hw die but  hey

Yeah right. Having hot air exhausted out mean fresh air will seep in through PCIE slot and though PSU shroud at the bottom. Having all of those as intake means hot air is constantly inside the case. Hot air is low pressure, meaning it will always be replaced by cold air as long as it able to be extracted and considering this case has no way of extracting hot air other than fans, this option is the best option.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Having all of those as intake means hot air is constantly inside the case. 

wooot? how??

your option 

image.png.bd74f02cad8f1dd67fc5313d91a9f550.png

vs all inn: 

image.png.05c047c47c51bb114c747fa0b8831614.png

vs the best:

image.png.57fd1a5016418f646a1232a27f3801e9.png

2 minutes ago, NorKris said:

wooot? how??

your option 

vs all inn: 

vs the best:

# 6 and 1 would be assuming a good front intake though, which I dont think it exists here

1 minute ago, Jorgemeister said:

# 6 and 1 would be assuming a good front intake though, which I dont think it exists here

you might say that. but cant get much worse than 87 lol

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

you might say that. but cant get much worse than 87 lol

I was hitting similar temps with demanding games and over 60C on idle on a 5800X with a case that has the front panel mostly closed, Be Quiet pure base 500, with radiator as exhaust on the top, 2 fans on the front as intake and had to swap my back fan to intake as well to make it up for the poor fresh airflow. these types of close cases are problematic for hot CPUs.

edit: got solved when I changed to a new case.

Edited by Jorgemeister

2 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

I was hitting similar temps with demanding games and over 60C on idle on a 5800X with a case that has the front panel mostly closed, Be Quiet pure base 500, with radiator as exhaust on the top, 2 fans on the front as intake and had to swap my back fan to intake as well to make it up for the poor fresh airflow. these types of close cases are problematic for hot CPUs.

edit: got solved when I changed to a new case.

ye these hotboxes are not good for the Watts race we are in now

5 hours ago, mgerber24 said:

NZXT H500

Save up for a new case. Components will struggle in that awfully designed oven. & the money you’ve spent on that AIO is wasted as it has no fresh air to make use of…

You can’t even mount an intake on top-front, & the bottom’s blocked off too.

NZXT… 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

7 hours ago, Levent said:

I would rather have all exhaust fan layout than all intake

How come? 

Sometimes exhaust fans just get in the way..

AMD R7 5800X3D @ -28 | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x  8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact |1x T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

27 minutes ago, freeagent said:

How come? 

Sometimes exhaust fans just get in the way..

Sometimes they just suck

pun intended

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Thank you so much for all the solutions! I honestly did not expect to get this many replies this quickly and I really do appreciate it. 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, mgerber24 said:

Thank you so much for all the solutions! I honestly did not expect to get this many replies this quickly and I really do appreciate it. 

Mostly we were just dabbing on eachother. Thanks for the fodder 🙂

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup