Wrong TDP on Ryzen 7 5700G?

Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
13 hours ago, Imago said:

Yes, the reading is the right one, I used Hardware Monitor which shows both the real temp and temp+offset values.

So it's normal it runs hotter that previous generations? In this case I guess I have to look for a stronger heatsink...

But which should I buy, my 140W one seems to struggle a lot, I need something near to 200W of dissipation? 🤯 I have to go air because liquid isn't good in my case, my PC runs renders whole days straight, the fluid will boil at a certain point.

It is normal for Cezanne to run "hotter" than Pinnacle Ridge. You don't need a bigger cooler, just let it be warm, and set a quieter fan profile. The temps are not "out of control".

Well, it seemes this time my CPU upgrade from Ryzen 7 2700x to Ryzen 7 5700G brought a lot of unexpected things...

When I had the 2700X installed, temps were pretty nice while rendering, the highest I have seen in big, heavy ones was max 76C° with about 26C° in the room... Now, with the 5700G temps skyrockets to 86-89C° in few seconds, with the fans howling like starved feral wolves...

I used the same 140W heatsink the old CPU had on it, perfect paste application, brand new high pressure fan on the heatsink and same high airflow case as before with intake and exhaust 120mm fans... the temps are out of control...

I thought a 65W TDP CPU should release less heat than a 105W TDP one and my 140W heatsink could keep it on nice temps.

Ah, the Vega GPU is disabled, it can't add more heat to the package.

Perhaps the declared TDPs are wrong?

My rig:

Case: Chieftec CI-01B-OP "The Cube"

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Rev.1

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Cooler: ThermalRight Assassin King 120 SE with TF-4 Thermal paste

GPU: NVidia RTX 2070 Super Blower Style (HP OEM)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 2x16

PSU: Itek BD700 DC-to-DC

20 minutes ago, Imago said:

Well, it seemes this time my CPU upgrade from Ryzen 7 2700x to Ryzen 7 5700G brought a lot of unexpected things...

When I had the 2700X installed, temps were pretty nice while rendering, the highest I have seen in big, heavy ones was max 76C° with about 26C° in the room... Now, with the 5700G temps skyrockets to 86-89C° in few seconds, with the fans howling like starved feral wolves...

I used the same 140W heatsink the old CPU had on it, perfect paste application, brand new high pressure fan on the heatsink and same high airflow case as before with intake and exhaust 120mm fans... the temps are out of control...

I thought a 65W TDP CPU should release less heat than a 105W TDP one and my 140W heatsink could keep it on nice temps.

Ah, the Vega GPU is disabled, it can't add more heat to the package.

Perhaps the declared TDPs are wrong?

The TDP is correct. Cezanne is 7nm, much more heat dense compared to Pinnacle Ridge at 12 nm. That, and have you ensured that the package power reporting is accurate and PBO is not enabled?

Actual power limit (PPT) on a 65 W (TDP) part is 88 W.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 hour ago, svmlegacy said:

The TDP is correct. Cezanne is 7nm, much more heat dense compared to Pinnacle Ridge at 12 nm. That, and have you ensured that the package power reporting is accurate and PBO is not enabled?

Actual power limit (PPT) on a 65 W (TDP) part is 88 W.

Yes, the reading is the right one, I used Hardware Monitor which shows both the real temp and temp+offset values.

So it's normal it runs hotter that previous generations? In this case I guess I have to look for a stronger heatsink...

But which should I buy, my 140W one seems to struggle a lot, I need something near to 200W of dissipation? 🤯 I have to go air because liquid isn't good in my case, my PC runs renders whole days straight, the fluid will boil at a certain point.

My rig:

13 hours ago, Imago said:

It is normal for Cezanne to run "hotter" than Pinnacle Ridge. You don't need a bigger cooler, just let it be warm, and set a quieter fan profile. The temps are not "out of control".

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

What thermal paste did you use? 

11 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Ah, Ok! 😃 If it is how it works, then there isn't much to do.

10 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

What thermal paste did you use? 

I used ARCTIC MX-4, it should be good enough, I buy that for my builds and repasting.

My rig: