Need advice on upgrades!

Go to solution Solved by maartendc,
56 minutes ago, SammyMunson said:

Budget (including currency): $2,500 AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Escape from Tarkov, Path of exile, Ark survival Evolved, 7 Days to Die, League of Legends, Valorant

Other details 

11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900F 

Asus ROG STRIX B560-F Gaming

CORSAIR CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 x2   (32 gig 3200mhz ram)
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super

Multiple SSD's 

Acer MMTLPSA001130000A93ZO1 3440 x 1440 144hz

Usual Peripherals

Hey guys, so I'm having issues with FPS fluctuations and performance in some demanding games at 1440p.  Most are fine, for example the esports ones like LoL and Valorant etc can be run on a dying potato, however some of the more demanding games like PoE or Escape from Tarkov are not playing nice.  Lowering graphics settings most of the time doesnt seem to help all that much.  I've looked into the 2080 Super's performance in forums, and the information seems quite conflicting.  Some say no way you get above 60 or 70 fps on high at 1440p on high end games, and some say it should be fine.  This is my first 1440p setup so i have nothing to compare it to personally.  Looking for some insight and advice, willing to get some upgrades if necessary.  

Your machine is still really powerful, and should be perfectly capable of running most games at 1440p / 60. But you are running a widescreen 1440p monitor, which obviously takes more power to run than a standard one (more pixels). I also wouldn't expect you to get more than between 60-90 fps in demanding games on high / ultra settings on that resolution. Seems perfectly normal to me.

I think also the games you mention are perhaps not optimized very well, so they demand a very strong GPU to be played at higher settings.

If you really want to hit 144 fps like your monitor is capable of, you will need to get a more powerful GPU. Personally, I don't think it is worth the money. I would wait another year or so at least to upgrade.

If you are seeing sudden dips in performance (frametime issues), there might be something else going on. Again, either the game is just not optimized, or perhaps there is a software issue. Make sure to update all your drivers to the latest version (especially GPU driver), try reinstalling the game, or if all else fails, reinstall windows. What you can also do is take a look at your GPU temps / clock speed. Perhaps it is clocking back under load due to dust buildup, and/or high temps.

Good luck.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Escape from Tarkov, Path of exile, Ark survival Evolved, 7 Days to Die, League of Legends, Valorant

Other details 

Multiple SSD's 

Usual Peripherals

Hey guys, so I'm having issues with FPS fluctuations and performance in some demanding games at 1440p.  Most are fine, for example the esports ones like LoL and Valorant etc can be run on a dying potato, however some of the more demanding games like PoE or Escape from Tarkov are not playing nice.  Lowering graphics settings most of the time doesnt seem to help all that much.  I've looked into the 2080 Super's performance in forums, and the information seems quite conflicting.  Some say no way you get above 60 or 70 fps on high at 1440p on high end games, and some say it should be fine.  This is my first 1440p setup so i have nothing to compare it to personally.  Looking for some insight and advice, willing to get some upgrades if necessary.  

No need to upgrade. Tarkov just runs like dogwater. PeePeePooPoo. 3090ti gets you the same 80fps on 2k at ultra. You'll spend $2.5k just to get 10fps more if not the same framerate, not worth it. 

All you can do now is just wait and pray that the devs invest back some resources into the game to optimize it.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

56 minutes ago, SammyMunson said:

Other details 

Multiple SSD's 

Usual Peripherals

Your machine is still really powerful, and should be perfectly capable of running most games at 1440p / 60. But you are running a widescreen 1440p monitor, which obviously takes more power to run than a standard one (more pixels). I also wouldn't expect you to get more than between 60-90 fps in demanding games on high / ultra settings on that resolution. Seems perfectly normal to me.

I think also the games you mention are perhaps not optimized very well, so they demand a very strong GPU to be played at higher settings.

If you really want to hit 144 fps like your monitor is capable of, you will need to get a more powerful GPU. Personally, I don't think it is worth the money. I would wait another year or so at least to upgrade.

If you are seeing sudden dips in performance (frametime issues), there might be something else going on. Again, either the game is just not optimized, or perhaps there is a software issue. Make sure to update all your drivers to the latest version (especially GPU driver), try reinstalling the game, or if all else fails, reinstall windows. What you can also do is take a look at your GPU temps / clock speed. Perhaps it is clocking back under load due to dust buildup, and/or high temps.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, will definitely take this into consideration. Some of the games I play are definitely optimized badly for sure.  Is nice to have some input on my pc specifics from people that know more, much appreciated.  Based on what you guys have said I might indeed wait, seems a bit over the top to upgrade if the problem is likely just a couple of games being badly optimised.