Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAID 0 crash

Hey everybody,

I know, I know, it's bad and I deserve it for being an idiot in the first place for using RAID 0. Seriously who does that?

Seriously though what happened is I got a blue screen of death while gaming : a SATA cable got disconnected from one of my 3 disk RAID 0 array, probably due to vibration or whatever. They were crap in the first place and wouldn't snap as they should. Anyhoo..

Since then, I got "an error occured" in the ROM before the BIOS and I couldn't access Windows any longer. So I installed one on another temporary disk to setup Intel RST which allowed me to remove "an error occured" and replace it with "SMART event" which in turn cannot be removed either from Intel RST or Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management.

I've got this promising software that might help a little with RAID reconstruction and I wanna try it but at this point, my RAID volume isn't being detected by it or by Wondows for that matter, except when I'm installing Windows from a bootable USB Only then it shows in the partition list.

I cannot emphasize how much of an idiot I was for using RAID 0 with important personal data, you can say that to me. For my defence M.2 were still very expensive back then... Still no excuse.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you so much.

If you hook up all three drives from the original stripe, does the pre-boot Intel RST setup screen (Ctrl+I) let you import the array as if it was 'foreign'?

F for your data, though. They call it RAID 0 because that's how many files you can recover when a drive fails.

Dell owns my soul.

This is what my pre-boot Intel RST setup screen looks like.

image.thumb.jpeg.f08373f5e68bdf1035cb3eddd44c0b0d.jpeg

And inside the menu :

image.thumb.jpeg.2e567055948a600033c26d5f10461cfd.jpeg

As you can see, options 4 and 5 are greyed out.

15 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They call it RAID 0 because that's how many files you can recover when a drive fails.

I completely deserve that. I kinda knew it back then.

23 minutes ago, Mosstache said:

I've got this promising software that might help a little with RAID reconstruction and I wanna try it but at this point, my RAID volume isn't being detected by it or by Wondows for that matter

The RAID is gone, the RAID controller will not give access to it again. The point of software like this is that you connect drives directly (not in RAID anymore), then tell the software these were a RAID0, and it'll try on its own to reinterpret things as the RAID controller was managing them. 

You'll probably need to use another computer for this, do NOT go in the option ROM and remove the drives from the RAID to get direct access to them again as this might wipe some info about them. 

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

OK. Couple of questions :

• How can you tell that the RAID is gone? Two of the three disks still appear as "member disks" and Win10 installer still sees the whole 1.3 Tb partition, as well as Intel RST's software in Windows
  • What do you mean I'll need another computer for this? To do what more exactly? What is it that I cannot do from my PC?

Thanks a lot for the help

13 minutes ago, Mosstache said:

Win10 installer still sees the whole 1.3 Tb partition, as well as Intel RST's software in Windows

That wasn't made clear in the previous posts.

Option ROM actually says status is "normal" so yes the drive will be presented to Windows, the array is there but you're probably actually dealing with filesystem / partition table corruption.

13 minutes ago, Mosstache said:

What do you mean I'll need another computer for this? To do what more exactly? What is it that I cannot do from my PC?

If you want to make use of the software you linked to. That is made to recover an array that the controller won't bring up anymore, and will try to do its job in its place, but it needs direct access to the disks for that.

I would first try to boot a live linux distro and see if it can see the partitions/filesystem, maybe you're lucky. 

If not what I would do is image that onto another drive, then try to use recovery tools like testdisk on that image. 

If that still doesn't help then try that software you linked to to make an image of the drive without going through the RAID controller and see if there's better luck there...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I would first try to boot a live linux distro and see if it can see the partitions/filesystem, maybe you're lucky. 

I'll try again with Ubuntu but last time I checked it couldn't see the partition either.

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If not what I would do is image that onto another drive, then try to use recovery tools like testdisk on that image.

How would you image it if it can't be seen by softwares like 'RAID Reconstructor' I'm using for instance, that are supposed to be able to create images?

21 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If that still doesn't help then try that software you linked to to make an image of the drive without going through the RAID controller and see if there's better luck there...

Do you mean I should boot in non-RAID mode like as if there were three independant drives, and use some software to make an image of just the wounded one?

thread carefully here, my first advice is to NOT use RAID reconstructor. I have tried to use it to recover a RAID-0 in the past and it actually destroyed my data and made the array completely unrecoverable.

I have posted what i used to recover all my data in a post here a few years ago, ill try to find it. There's a better program that i actually used to recover all my data without losing a single file. However at the time all my discs were fine, yours does show a SMART error, so your situation might be different.

Ill edit this post when i've found my post from a few years ago 😛

Edit: So i found the post. RAID reconstructor didn't give me any useful data. I used filescavenger to recover all my data. Not sure anymore what you have to do to make it work but the program needs to have the drives in the right order. So it's probably best to just connect them to a different PC and run filescavenger. Then just try different orders for the drives and try to recover a small file and see if it's readable. An image or text file would probably be easiest. When its readable you have the correct order.

Good luck 😉

I have no signature

1 minute ago, Helly said:

thread carefully here, my first advice is to NOT use RAID reconstructor. I have tried to use it to recover a RAID-0 in the past and it actually destroyed my data and made the array completely unrecoverable.

I have posted what i used to recover all my data in a post here a few years ago, ill try to find it. There's a better program that i actually used to recover all my data without losing a single file. However at the time all my discs were fine, yours does show a SMART error, so your situation might be different.

Ill edit this post when i've found my post from a few years ago 😛

That sounds fantastic thanks a lot, I'll keep refreshing this page all day long if I have to.

22 minutes ago, Helly said:

Edit: So i found the post. RAID reconstructor didn't give me any useful data. I used filescavenger to recover all my data. Not sure anymore what you have to do to make it work but the program needs to have the drives in the right order. So it's probably best to just connect them to a different PC and run filescavenger. Then just try different orders for the drives and try to recover a small file and see if it's readable. An image or text file would probably be easiest. When its readable you have the correct order.

Good luck 😉

Thanks a lot I'll use it instead of RAID Reconstructor but as expected, it cannot find my RAID array, just my other drives.

I really can't access another computer to do this. Why do I need to do this from another computer? What's wrong with mine?

3 hours ago, Mosstache said:

Thanks a lot I'll use it instead of RAID Reconstructor but as expected, it cannot find my RAID array, just my other drives.

I really can't access another computer to do this. Why do I need to do this from another computer? What's wrong with mine?

well it might be a little safer, but in the end it doesn't matter. Are you sure the drive doesn't show up in disk management though? If filescavenger also cannot find the drives then you will have to break the array. You should see the serial numbers from the photo you took earlier in filescavenger. Put them in the right order and it should work.

It is very strange though that the drives don't show up. My array came up as failed and showed all the drives. Make sure you never initialize/partition/format any of the drives. The more you do the worse your chances become.

Also, after breaking the array, don't recreate it, it will wipe the data from all drives making recovery more difficult

I have no signature

38 minutes ago, Helly said:

well it might be a little safer, but in the end it doesn't matter. Are you sure the drive doesn't show up in disk management though? If filescavenger also cannot find the drives then you will have to break the array. You should see the serial numbers from the photo you took earlier in filescavenger. Put them in the right order and it should work.

It is very strange though that the drives don't show up. My array came up as failed and showed all the drives. Make sure you never initialize/partition/format any of the drives. The more you do the worse your chances become.

Also, after breaking the array, don't recreate it, it will wipe the data from all drives making recovery more difficult

Yes, I can imagine. Also yes, the disks don't show up, take a look :

image.png.ee697f533ed1bf328f92ee2ada85539a.png

So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I don't boot in RAID mode but in AHCI so the disks show up individually so that I can make images of them (or at least the broken one)? Or should I go straight to File Scavenger and try to rebuild the RAID from there?

There's also something that looks weird that I found in Intel Storage and Memory: it says that the size of physical sectors on the failed drive is 512 B vs. 4 KB on the other two. 

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.b34daa02117a742202f544e0e1c709ce.pngScreenshot_2.thumb.png.85d7d9b7a4cc3527bacacba6d500973b.png

29 minutes ago, Mosstache said:

So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I don't boot in RAID mode but in AHCI so the disks show up individually so that I can make images of them (or at least the broken one)? Or should I go straight to File Scavenger and try to rebuild the RAID from there?

imaging the disks is pointless. Individually they contain no readable data. File Scavenger also won't rebuild the data. It is a data recovery program which normally tries to read data that has been deleted. You also can't write anything what so ever to the disks. Anything you write to them will overwrite the data you want to recover. So if you want your data back you will have to use 1 or more drives which can contain everything you want to recover. switching to AHCI might work so you can try that.

I have no signature

37 minutes ago, Helly said:

So if you want your data back you will have to use 1 or more drives which can contain everything you want to recover. switching to AHCI might work so you can try that.

OK but why should I switch to AHCI then if individual disks are useless on their own. I feel like I'm missing your point, could you explain please?

The point is to make the drives show up so that you can select them in File Scavenger so it can read the files and you can copy them to another drive and recover your data. RAID-0 writes a piece of the data to each drive at the same time, giving you the speed benefit you want. But you need all drives in order to read the data, which is why if 1 drive fails your data is gone.

So as i said before, in order for File Scavenger to recover your data it needs all the drives and you have to select the correct order of your array so that it can read your files in the correct order and recover your data. If you select the wrong order it will still find your files, however because the array is in the wrong order so will your files. So your files will be corrupted and unreadable. AHCI will make your drives show up as separate drives and hopefully you can select them in File Scavenger and do this. Don't do anything with the drives after booting up, just launch File Scavenger and see if you can select the drives. If you can't, you will have to decide the risk you are willing to take at this point. Initializing the drives MIGHT work, however you are selecting a partition style which has to be written somewhere.

I have no signature