Germany may add beauty filter labels to social media influencers.

williamcll

Beauty filters are common in many streaming or video sharing applications/websites, now German officials want this to be more transparent

Quotes

German state officials said Friday that they want advertisers and social media influencers to label any photos that have used so-called beauty filters. Critics argue that the filters, which offer easy ways to touch up images and remove supposed blemishes, promote unrealistic standards of beauty particularly among women and girls.

A majority of officials from Germany’s 16 states want the federal government to come up with legislation that would require the labeling of images and videos where beauty filters were used to enhance a person’s face, skin or hair. This would apply to commercial advertising and influencers with a significant number of followers, Fegebank was quoted as saying.

My thoughts

This will help with a lot of poor beauty standards but also at the same time someone is going to complain about privacy or marketing.

Sources

https://apnews.com/article/technology-social-media-fc693b3be6a7670d484ada93b50e78ac

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Would it really harm privacy to add a label indicating a filter was used?
VSCO already tags photos with what filter was used, and obviously Instagram already implements <Sponsored> posts.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

19 minutes ago, williamcll said:

someone is going to complain about privacy

I fail to see how this would affect privacy. It's not talking about blurring out faces, it's about beauty filters, a bit of a leap in logic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Makes sense to be honest. Everyone is using all the makeup and filters to make themselves look like 2000s anime character nowadays. However, I doubt it will have the impact on self-esteem they are looking for. Using a third party app then posting is still possible.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I suppose it makes sense but... what counts as a "beauty filter"? Most forms of image editing aim to make the picture look better, even if they don't change the subject's proportions or change their features. I don't see any downsides for commercial advertising (might as well put the label on all of them) but for social media posts there might be a grey area.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't see any downsides for commercial advertising (might as well put the label on all of them) but for social media posts there might be a grey area.

The line between commercial advertising and social media posts is basically non-existent now. So many social media posts are sponsored advertisements. It makes sense to me that if a social media influencer is advertising something like concealer makeup and is using photo editing/filters to adjust their face to appear more beautiful or hide blemishes on their skin then that could be misleading and perhaps it should be disclosed. There's probably less of an argument to be made for somebody like Linus advertising a computer keyboard and needing to disclose if the image used a beauty filter/editing, but the problem is that you can't trust advertisers/influencers to do it when it makes sense for the product they are advertising (advertising beauty products, etc) as if it's not required they simply won't do it.

Though, you may be considering such social media influencer advertising as commercial advertising (and I believe it is) so the point may be mute. The article does state that it will apply to influencers with a "significant amount of followers" so it seems like it would only apply to large "influencer" social media accounts, who typically do take sponsorship/advertisement deals, and not just regular social media users. Maybe it would make sense to make the filter disclosure requirement apply to any social media posts that are part of a paid advertisement deal, which would allow large influencers to still use filters on non-sponsored posts without disclosing.

Critics argue that the filters, which offer easy ways to touch up images and remove supposed blemishes, promote unrealistic standards of beauty particularly among women and girls.

I'm not really that convinced that adding "#filter" or "#edited" to a social media post would make much difference with the whole unrealistic standards for women issue the article mentions, but I'm neither a woman or somebody who spends time browsing mainstream social media so that's a problem that I'm unfamiliar with.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

A law that require retouched humans in ads and posts with advertising on social media to be marked with a stamp, went in to effect this month here in Norway.

Maybe the system to hit down on it isn't perfect but I agree with the law.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Without knowing all gritty details of the law, this seems like a good thing to me.

Probably not the best possible solution, but it's a step in the right direction at the very least. They should bring this idea to the whole EU.

12 minutes ago, Mihle said:

A law that require retouched humans in ads and posts with advertising on social media to be marked with a stamp, went in to effect this month here in Norway.

Do you have any examples of what Norway's system looks like on social media posts? Is it a disclosure in the description or is it superimposed over the image itself? I found plenty of news articles discussing Norway implementing the law but couldn't find any examples actually showing what it looks like.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Some of us are older and you were here before Instagram and other social media, so we  can see the difference between real and take. But some teens have grew up in an era where those things existed, and the probably can't see those things, because they don't really have a reference without that

can we do the same for makeup?

also to anyone that believes that anything with #nofilter is actually unedited, i would like to sell you some magic beans.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Do you have any examples of what Norway's system looks like on social media posts? Is it a disclosure in the description or is it superimposed over the image itself? I found plenty of news articles discussing Norway implementing the law but couldn't find any examples actually showing what it looks like.

The system is really that the creator is supposed to mark the image itself with a published symbol, be it an ad somewhere or paid social media post. (There isn't a requirement for posts that aren't paid for in any way from my understanding) there is exception for changing the colour of hair/eyes/teeth, but if you edit the skin or form of the body then it's required.

Here is an example one Norwegian article has in it: image.png.448d7c3678ac1169a400b9f4302adfa2.png

Article in Norwegian:

https://www.nrk.no/kultur/na-kan-du-fa-bot-for-a-publisere-redigerte-bilder-1.16023983

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Though, you may be considering such social media influencer advertising as commercial advertising (and I believe it is) so the point may be mute.

Sure, if there's an advertisement contract then it should always be disclosed.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

James is fooked for hosting anymore techlinked then XD

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Can we ban makeup next?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Good, now do the same for deepfakes and voice altering software

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I don't know is this really good. On the one hand it could help someone but on the other hand, I don't know how I would say it nicer since I have a bad habit with my pointy tongue, "if snow is yellow, it's common knowledge not to eat it".

Like making it mandatory to put a label on advertisement that it isn't real tells more that something has really badly failed in the schooling. It should be clear to everyone especially today when we basicly live within media that always take everything with a grain of salt and that there's a huge possibility that everything tries to affect you. But instead what this not-that-old-man has seen, we are going backwards in media literacy, generally people are today so F'ing dumb they lack the basic skill of even knowing what is paid and what is not even when it's slapped to their face like a big trout (seriously there's people who really think that YouTuber listing "top 10 best things ever" and for some miracle the top 1 is the latest and the most expensive from a company which also openly sponsored the video, that that "top" choice is really the YouTubers actual opinion and not 100% sponsored and paid opinion).

Seriously, if kids can't differentiate ad and movie from reality, they either have certain type of problems or the education has failed.

And as we get to slap stickers on ads and that ad photos have been edited, can we next time get politicians to wear something like racing driver overalls with sponsor patches, bodybuilders to wear a thongs that say "this body might be build with use of substances other than morning oatmeal", same goes to any top athletes really, racing should make it clear that the cars aren't stock, news channels and media should put on every article that it might not be completely accurate and some details are left out either because someone might get offended or some organization might not like them to come out, big labels on any food or beverage that uses artificial (be it natural or not) coloring especially that bright red strawberry ice cream (if you mix strawberry and milk, it ain't going to be firetruck red) and just make sure everyone knows that even the most known common "lie" is lie and it is highlighted and underlined.

[obvious extra joke]

"Just think about the children!"

[/obvious extra joke]

Would've been a better post if mentioned that Norway has already implemented this. Nothing really happened in Germany.

Either way, just goes to show how f*cking dumb humanity is, if you need a governemnt to tell you that the pictures on Instagram don't depict reality.

It's like we're trying to stop morons by putting signs up that say: "Please don't be a moron".

It's the same with the discussion of a speedlimit in Germany. Speedlimits don't fix bad driving and warning messages don't fix bad consumerism.

When you try to confront the people that are actively trying to ruin their live on social media they often tell you visually, not verbally: "Yes, I'm not one of them, but now let me get back to ruining my life on social media", with a dumb smile, a little bit of rolling eyes and a look at their smartphone, which makes it near impossible to actually fix the issue of bad consumerism.

And while I'm ranting I might aswell complain about a German bank that now allows you to write any name you want on their credit card, to show the gender that you identify with on a piece of plastic to everyone around you in hopes to gain that bit of attention that you didn't receive from your parents. So if you feel like a Leopard 2 A7 or a Rainbow Donut Honey Chocolate Deer with suicidal tendencies, then you can now get that engraved onto your own little piece of plastic self esteem.

“I really feel like civilisation's already over. It's not ending but it's already done. We're all addicted to the concept that humanity equals civilisation and that's not the case. We need a global conversation to be able to decipher how we can live from this point forward. We have to redefine our relationship with our environment.”
 Serj Tankian

Good, adaptation, improvisation... but her weakness, is in the silicone... 😄

4 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Good, now do the same for deepfakes and voice altering software

Just don't take away my shower vocal patches I use on my POD rack unit to karaoke alone. Gets pretty hilarious, I must say. Kind of like this.

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

And while I'm ranting I might aswell complain about a German bank that now allows you to write any name you want on their credit card, to show the gender that you identify with on a piece of plastic to everyone around you in hopes to gain that bit of attention that you didn't receive from your parents. So if you feel like a Leopard 2 A7 or a Rainbow Donut Honey Chocolate Deer with suicidal tendencies, then you can now get that engraved onto your own little piece of plastic self esteem.

Hey, I'd rather someone identify as a Leopard 2 A7 or Mi-24 than commit suicide. It's just giving them more freedoms to do as they wish. If someone gets a self-esteem boost from calling themselves an RTX-3090ti and engraving it on plastic, go ahead, has nothing to do with me.

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Would've been a better post if mentioned that Norway has already implemented this. Nothing really happened in Germany.

Either way, just goes to show how f*cking dumb humanity is, if you need a governemnt to tell you that the pictures on Instagram don't depict reality.

It's like we're trying to stop morons by putting signs up that say: "Please don't be a moron".

It's the same with the discussion of a speedlimit in Germany. Speedlimits don't fix bad driving and warning messages don't fix bad consumerism.

When you try to confront the people that are actively trying to ruin their live on social media they often tell you visually, not verbally: "Yes, I'm not one of them, but now let me get back to ruining my life on social media", with a dumb smile, a little bit of rolling eyes and a look at their smartphone, which makes it near impossible to actually fix the issue of bad consumerism.

“I really feel like civilisation's already over. It's not ending but it's already done. We're all addicted to the concept that humanity equals civilisation and that's not the case. We need a global conversation to be able to decipher how we can live from this point forward. We have to redefine our relationship with our environment.”
 Serj Tankian

That. Doesn't make any sense. Why would you even need a gender at all on a credit card? If it's their name, it's a name. If you don't like it get it legally changed. Very easy to do. If they're putting anything, then I'd imagine it's more like Apple's card. Where there's not really a "name" at all, and it doesn't matter what you emboss on the card. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

That. Doesn't make any sense. Why would you even need a gender at all on a credit card? If it's their name, it's a name. If you don't like it get it legally changed. Very easy to do. If they're putting anything, then I'd imagine it's more like Apple's card. Where there's not really a "name" at all, and it doesn't matter what you emboss on the card. 

Found a little more information on it. It's called Mastercard True Name and the GLS Bank is the first German bank to adopt it.

Basically you can choose to write any name you want onto a credit card, so that if you hand over the card you'd be addressed via that name. I don't know what difference that would make anyway, but translated from Mastercards site there's a quote basically saying: I want the name I chose on my card, because it makes me feel good.

image.png.f6d99ff6ceac6f87b9fc995574e32ac0.png

As you can see, this person wanted to be called Joao.

I have to agree with you that if this was so important to them, they'd get their name changed. Sure, can be a hassle and would probably take quite a while, but seemingly this is such a huge deal to them that it should be worth it, right?

I think I should get one of those Truename cards and make up and endless name and then tell them that they're discriminating against me because my name doesn't fit on the card. Then sue them and get a credit card the size of a stop sign.

The purpose behind the adjustments is important. I figure if its removing a day-zit from a model doing a hair product... probably not the end of the world, the reason for the use isn't directly related to the selling/miss-selling of the product.

Then you get people fully face-tuning themselves like 20years younger to scam people out of their money.

There's a wide range in how the filters are used tbh.

Sometimes its just to remove blemishes, other times its full face/body-tuning to mislead people.

The whole "unrealistic beauty standards" thing, probably falls between the two, so it's hard to set the bar.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Found a little more information on it. It's called Mastercard True Name and the GLS Bank is the first German bank to adopt it.

Basically you can choose to write any name you want onto a credit card, so that if you hand over the card you'd be addressed via that name. I don't know what difference that would make anyway, but translated from Mastercards site there's a quote basically saying: I want the name I chose on my card, because it makes me feel good.

image.png.f6d99ff6ceac6f87b9fc995574e32ac0.png

As you can see, this person wanted to be called Joao.

I have to agree with you that if this was so important to them, they'd get their name changed. Sure, can be a hassle and would probably take quite a while, but seemingly this is such a huge deal to them that it should be worth it, right?

I think I should get one of those Truename cards and make up and endless name and then tell them that they're discriminating against me because my name doesn't fit on the card. Then sue them and get a credit card the size of a stop sign.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever had someone use my name after handing them my credit card. That alone sounds like a pretty last generation thing.

I don't really see a problem having something else embossed on the card. It'd make it so you can't use it as secondary identification, but my replacement credit card doesn't have my name or even a place to put a signature, so I imagine that's on the way out anyway.

Hahah, all it would take is one post on Twitter and they'd probably discontinue the whole program and issue an apology. The vocal minority is really getting out of hand, in so many different aspects of society.

Name change isn't that bad here. I think it's maybe $300 ($137 for the actual name change, but you also have to get new ID, fingerprinting, criminal record checks, etc etc). My friends brother changed his name to Max Powers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red