How does the i7 12700k compare to my i5 8600k?

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,

Synthetic will show a trend, in this case, you are looking for that sweet single threaded performance which the 12700KF will trounce the 8600k in.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-8600K-vs-Intel-i7-12700KF/3100vs4608

I'm trying to compare how a 12700k would improve my performance in games compared to my 8600k. I'm planning on upgrading to a 4000 series graphics card in the fall, but dont know how bad of a bottle neck my 8600k will be. 
I'm looking up different bench marks for the two cpus but they all show me synthetic scores and the one that i did find that wasnt synthetic from this website:
https://howmanyfps.com/en-ca/processors/comparisons/intel-core-i7-12700kf-vs-intel-core-i5-8600k
show a marginal difference in performance. From what i understand is that the 8600k is still a great cpu and the difference in performance in games wont be that big a difference since i'll already be getting above 200 fps if my graphics card can pump that out, which is all i'm really looking for.  
So i guess my question is;
What are some good ways to compare my two CPUs for my main use case, gaming?

Thanks for the link, that helps a lot. I was wondering why i wasn't seeing what I was expecting, which was that a brand new cpu should destroy a 4 year old CPU. That benchmark looks a lot more realistic. 

I was thinking about upgrading but i think that ~50% improvement in single threaded performance is not enough at current prices. I was honestly expecting more. Maybe 13th gen will be the one to get. 

Anantech CPU comparisons are probably a good source to check for information regarding actual results between CPUs.

8600K vs 12700K

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2808?vs=2905

Plenty of results to paint the picture, just scroll down the page for LOTS of synthetics and gaming results.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A good jump but if ur performance is still acceptable to you hang on as long as you can because each gen is a even bigger jump 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 hour ago, Mayday793 said:

Thanks for the link, that helps a lot. I was wondering why i wasn't seeing what I was expecting, which was that a brand new cpu should destroy a 4 year old CPU. That benchmark looks a lot more realistic. 

I was thinking about upgrading but i think that ~50% improvement in single threaded performance is not enough at current prices. I was honestly expecting more. Maybe 13th gen will be the one to get. 

13th gen won't be that much faster in ST compared to 12th gen, the main improvement will be the E-core count increase, and Zen 4 will probably be behind both in ST. Also if you only want ST performance CPUs like the 12600K(F) and 12700F are much better options compared to the 12700K, way cheaper for basically the same ST performance.