Its time for an upgrade...

Seserie

First Post on the LTT Forum!!

I built my current PC 5 years ago, Just bought a new house and its time for a Computer Upgrade. The big change I plan on making with this build is having the Monitors/Desk in a separate room that the PC.

I currently have a 3 Monitor Setup (2x in Landscape and 1x an Extra-wide in Portrait Mode) and want to have the ability to expand in the future. I use this PC heavily for Work (Multiple Monitors is a MUST. 3 is Good, 5 is the Dream), I do very light gaming on the Monitors, just your basic tycoon games like Cities Skyline, etc. I am however a avid VR gamer (Beat Saber, Super Hot, etc.) I currently have a HTC Vive with the Wireless Headset attachment also plan on upgrading to a HTC Vive Pro when possible.

I want to have my PC in my living room so I can have more space while VR gaming, then having my monitors in my Office. I have been going back and forth between using Thunderbolt 3 over Fiber vs. HDMI over Cat6/7 converters. While Thunderbolt 3 may end up being a bit more expensive I feel it is probably wiser as to plan for future expansion. My only concern is functionality at this point ergo, why I am reaching out to smarter people on this... So lets get right into it.

My current Plan for the Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dkHgzf

Budget (including currency): $2,500-$4,500

Case: Thermaltake Tower 500 Snow Edition Vertical Mid-Tower Computer Chassis (I know its huge But I Love the Look of this Case.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z690 AERO D (LGA 1700/ Intel Z690/ ATX/ DDR5/ Quad M.2/ PCIe 5.0/ USB 3.2 Gen2X2 Type-C/ WiFi 6/ AQUANTIA 10GbE LAN/ Motherboard)

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor

RAM: ADATA XPG LANCER RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory (No Preference I want 64 GB)

Video Card: I currently have a 1080ti and will probably use that till I decide what I am going to upgrade to. I am leaning towards a 3080ti but I am going to wait till the next cards are released till I decide...

Storage: 

- SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive

- SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive

- 4TB SATA 6gb 3.5" Hard Drive (From a different System)

- 12TB SATA 6gb 3.5" Hard Drive (From a different System)

Power: Not Certain, This will also rely on what video Card(s) I use.

Peripheral:

- HTC Vive Wireless Card 

I will likely end up water-cooling both my CPU and GPU with soft tubing, ignore the current cooler in the build. I just threw the cooler in so I don't get the warning.

So, I still consider myself quite a Novice when it comes to building so if something isn't going to work please, Let me Know!

At first I will have 3 Monitors:

- 2x https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755KJ56W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

- 1x https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GSH1LV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I will likely upgrade monitors in the future as well.

My guess is I will need 2x Thunderbolt 3 over Fiber Cables with two different Hubs (Haven't selected which Hubs I will use) for the Monitors and Peripherals? Will Thunderbolt 3 work well, does any one have experience doing something like this??

If I end up upgrading to 5 Monitors will I need an additional Graphics Card? Since most graphics cards these days only support 4 Monitors? If so what Card would you recommend? I have an old 1050ti I could use when it comes to that?

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can spare!

I'll say some things now and look at the questions later

1st, I give you my personal Linus tech tips guarantee that ddr5 won't work with all 4 slots filled. Consider 2x If you really want ddr5 or imo I'd just go ddr4

2nd that power supply dosent make a lot of sense. This one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v7PzK8/evga-supernova-t2-1600-w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-t2-1600-x1

Is basically better in every way 

I see you're getting an aorus master which is a nice looking card. Irrc it has 3 dp outs and 3 hdmi outs so you'd be covered on the monitors if you plan to get more.

I don't have any experience on the Thunderbolt problem so I can't help you there.