Radeon raytracing in 2022

Verrierr

Hello,

I'm currently waiting for my 6800 xt to arrive since I was finally able to get a GPU at a decent price and I just wanted to know if there's been a meaningful uplift to radeon's raytracing performance with driver updates since I know on launch it was pretty bad compared to Nvidia's offering. I've googled the subject for a bit but everything I've found was produced on launch of the 6000 series.

No. Raytracing is still pretty trash and still hurts performance what too much even on Nvidia GPUS. This was AMDS first gen, so dont exactly expect anything good even after drivers and such improved a bit. Would not recommend it at all.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No. Raytracing is still pretty trash and still hurts performance what too much even on Nvidia GPUS. This was AMDS first gen, so dont exactly expect anything good even after drivers and such improved a bit. Would not recommend it at all.

So you'd rather play with RT disabled for the higher FPS?

2 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Yup. RT is still just not worth it, Id say probably for Nvidia 5000/6000 Series GPUS(unless they change it because of AMD jumping ahead of them in the 5000 sstuff) and probably 4 generations of AMD. it may be worth it because the performance hit isnt as bad, but on current gpus, its just not worth it. Plus its on devs to properly do it, and most of the time they just pick and choose which ones are easiest to do.

One game you can try that has good RT implementation and run well enough is Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. Otherwise, yeah, not really worth it yet.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Radeon cards still dont perform as good as Nvidia cards in RTRT tasks in 2022. Issue is not driver based, so I wouldnt expect an improvement for AMDs current lineup.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Verrierr said:

I'd rather do that on Nvidia as well. It's not really noticeable in anything that isn't basically a tech demo (I.E. Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Control), and the FPS hit it has is huge. Ghostrunner, for instance, actually gets unplayable with it on in my experience because the frame times get so unsteady, even on a 3080. 

The RT performance of the 6000 series has improved, but it's still not amazing. In Control (the most recent game I've benched with RTX), my heavily overclocked 6900 XT (unlocked power limits, pretty much locked at 2700MHz) will still be about 5-10% behind my 3080 at stock. 

The only time RT is worth it is if you have an 3000 series card and use DLSS at the same time to bring your fps back up. If it doesn't have dlss I leave RT off

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x