what headphone amp and dac does linus use to drive his sennheisser hd600?

tommyhawks

We've had this discussion on the forum before. Objectively speaking, the HD600 is the best measuring and most accurate out of the three. Subjectively, the HD600 also has the best imaging, though only by a slim margin.

All of them are pretty dark, and still use 20+ year old drivers. HD660S is the worst of the three, and a muffled mess by comparison. HD6XX is just a rebranded HD650, and that sits center stack.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

2 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

We've had this discussion on the forum before. Objectively speaking, the HD600 is the best measuring and most accurate out of the three. Subjectively, the HD600 also has the best imaging, though only by a slim margin.

what amp and dac you suggest for hd600?

6 minutes ago, tommyhawks said:

what amp and dac you suggest for hd600?

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be anything too spectacular. I'd recommend a THX offering in the sub-$200 range. Think, THX AAA ONE from Drop, or SMSL SP200 THX-888.

For a DAC, you start to hit diminishing returns at $150 these days. Something to the effect of an SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII would be sufficient. That kind of DAC/Amp combo would leave you plenty of headroom for many years to come.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

FiO k5 Pro, youd be fine with that if you dont need a bunch of the other addons some have 🙂 Havent had any issues driving my HD 6xx

What linus uses probably changes on a "Whomever gives him money this month" and then goes back. Hes used the Schitt stack, hes used a few others, i think hes using something thats thunderbolt compatible atm due to his wanting to be away from the computer since he has a server rack style setup.

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

What linus uses probably changes on a "Whomever gives him money this month" and then goes back. Hes used the Schitt stack, hes used a few others, i think hes using something thats thunderbolt compatible atm due to his wanting to be away from the computer since he has a server rack style setup.

Hopefully get he gets some SMSL or Topping sponsors once LTT Labs gets going.

3 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

All of them are pretty dark, and still use 20+ year old drivers. HD660S is the worst of the three, and a muffled mess by comparison. HD6XX is just a rebranded HD650, and that sits center stack.

Isn't it worth mentioning that HD650 is the most subjectively pleasing (euphonic?) of the three? I'm new to LTT forums, but that was the general consensus on 4chan (lol, I know) and Head-Fi.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

The HD600/650/6xx are to basically anyone that doesn't have a whole lineup of headphones the same thing.  Zeos swears by the 600 and the 650 is slightly tweaked, with the 6xx being a drop rebrand of the 650.

The thing that I have found with my 6xx is that they reflect everything in the chain so if you improve anything you'll notice it on these more than others.  IE: They scale very well.  With that said they will sound good on just about anything that can power them.

Are you looking for a solution or a hobby?

If you're looking for a solution I would recommend a schiit stack or zen dac or a pairing/combo in the $200-250 range.  Still they can run onboard and you would be happy not knowing any better.  They really are great headphones.  But as I said they enjoy everything you do.

If you're looking for a hobby I would get a dac that meets your needs then get something like a THX AAA amp and then get a tube amp like the Darkvoice se336 or little dot MKII and start looking for tubes that tickle your pickle.  You don't have to spend a lot on tubes unless you're very sensitive.  This way you can daily the solid state amp and fire up the tube for special listening sessions.  600/650/6xx LOVE tubes.

To round it off you could get an antlion mod mic and have an entire solution that will make you smile.

I don't know anything about the 660s

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

On the cheap end, the Magni / Modi stack is more linear than anyone needs. 

The Modius and Magnius adds balanced IO and a better volume control. The Asgard adds a good volume control and will appease the hardcore analog nerds.

I personally think it's pretty hard to justify spending more than a few hundred bucks on a <2 W audio power amplifier, but that's just my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Isn't it worth mentioning that HD650 is the most subjectively pleasing (euphonic?) of the three? I'm new to LTT forums, but that was the general consensus on 4chan (lol, I know) and Head-Fi.

To my ears, it isn't. I reviewed the HD650/HD6XX, and I'm actually an avid hater of it. I find it extremely overrated, and underperforming given the price. Both objectively and subjectively. 

[Main Desktop]

[Stream Encoder]

[Garage]