XFX 6900xt 319 MERC not displaying

morphsiss

So i have my card for about 3 weeks now. All fine, stressed the GPU a bit for temps, got 86 max with the side panel on, about 70 without (yes i know, not great airflow inside). The maximum power draw i have seen using MSI Afterburner was around 290w. I have been monitoring the temps, clocks and power in all the games i play. Didnt get any bsods, no black screens, no artifacts, except one time when the whole screen went bannannas, but got fixed after i alt tabbed. A couple of days ago we had a quick power cutoff for like a couple of minutes, and prior to that i got a wattman crash saying its been reset to default settings. I do believe we had a short power cutoff for a second when i got that error too, but i can't know for sure. Ever since then the GPU just stopped displaying. Every time i install the driver, i get no display signal. Tried everything but a new PSU since i dont have another one. I highly doubt its the PSU tho since the second the driver is installed, it doesnt display. Tried older versions of the driver, tried installing just the driver without adrenaline, reinstalled Windows, have used DDU in safemode more times than i can count, tried hdmi and dvi, tried different monitors, tried reseating GPU, RAM, nothing.

One other thing to note is the same day this happened is the day AMD released an update for the drivers, but using an older one still doesnt help.

Another reason i think the PSU is fine is everything works just fine with a GTX 750ti that i have.

I wanna mention the card didnt die. The lights and the fans work just fine, it's just the second the driver gets installed, my monitor tells me there is nothing to display but the PC continues to work. I know i'm not running the best PSU, it being 650W, but it's a seasonic gold rated, and i dont think i have reached the maximum power draw since i never seen any graphical interference or any system shutdowns.

Tomorrow i'm getting the card to a pc parts dealer and technician here so he can test it see what is happening, then i will RMA the card since thats all i can do, but i am curious what u ppl think of this.

My build :

AMD 5800x

XFX 6900xt merc 319 (2 x 6pin)

32GB ram @ 3600 ddr4

AORUS ELITE V2 B550 

an AIO on the cpu

500 GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Seasonic Focus GX-650W GOLD

thanks a lot !

Hmmm you tried DVI on this card? It doenst have dvi. But i think you meant DP, right?

Only thing I can reccomend is to try to update your BIOS and maybe let the tech youre bringing it in to test it with a different PSU/system. Also your PSU is under the recommended spec from XFX. I dont think that sould hold the drivers from installing... but either way time for a new PSU idd say

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Xfx recommends a 850 watt power-supply to run their merc-319 6900xt. It is on their website. Look it up.

Their cards use 2  8-pin connectors. Are you sure yours are 6-pin and you have the correct graphics card?

It's 8 pin, my bad, i am sorry. And i have updated the BIOS, still the same. Yes, i mean DP, idk why i typed dvi, lol.

Do you think that might be the issue ? If i am not delivering the necessary power, should i have not seen the GPU draw more power than 290W, or experience more system shutdowns ? I've thrown everything at it except cyberpunk and it ran well.

If it black screens the second the driver installs my first thought would be a corrupted vBIOS. The MERC 319 IIRC is a dual BIOS card, try swapping it to the second vBIOS (the switch right next to the 8 pins) to see if that lets it install drivers. If it does, it's a relatively easy fix.

Since you are taking it to a local technician, I would see what they tell you after they troubleshoot your system.

If it turns out that it is the power-supply, you can post in the power-supply thread on recommendations on what to buy.

1 hour ago, silencer12 said:

Since you are taking it to a local technician, I would see what they tell you after they troubleshoot your system.

If it turns out that it is the power-supply, you can post in the power-supply thread on recommendations on what to buy.

Yup or look at thie tier list. Its pretty awesome 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Can someone please tell me if i could have fried the GPU because of the PSU ? In my view if that was the case, shouldnt my pc just shut off ?