What is the CS50 course?

GamerGry123
Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

CS50 is Harvard University's general computer science intro class, and the online version is exactly the same as the one offered in Harvard. The course is available online for free, and there is a $149 fee for the certificate (although you get it free if you perform better than 70% on everything). Harvard does offer more courses after this one for more focused areas of study, although none of them are free.

From what I've heard, trying to keep up with CS50 can be pretty difficult if you've never done anything related to programming before. It's probably worth looking at some basic courses elsewhere before trying it. Personally I'm a fan of Exercism.

This is a full university course exactly like it's taught at Harvard, and you should expect to be putting in part-time university hours for all 11 weeks of the course if you want to pass.

This is a free computer science course. It's also the same about programming. It says on the internet that it's free. But in the movies you can see that people are in college. You probably pay for the certificate itself. Anything at all after this course? Are these the very basics of computer science to show people what the majors of computer science are? Is there a full version of this course? Is this information true? 

CS50 is Harvard University's general computer science intro class, and the online version is exactly the same as the one offered in Harvard. The course is available online for free, and there is a $149 fee for the certificate (although you get it free if you perform better than 70% on everything). Harvard does offer more courses after this one for more focused areas of study, although none of them are free.

From what I've heard, trying to keep up with CS50 can be pretty difficult if you've never done anything related to programming before. It's probably worth looking at some basic courses elsewhere before trying it. Personally I'm a fan of Exercism.

This is a full university course exactly like it's taught at Harvard, and you should expect to be putting in part-time university hours for all 11 weeks of the course if you want to pass.

Edited by BobVonBob

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

18 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Thanks for the clarification.