Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I corrupted my entire brand-new pc (I think)

I recently was scrolling through eBay for old gpus that people didn't want for cheap because I was feeling rather confident that I could fix any issues they might have. I was soon proven very wrong. 

I bought 3 gpus, a rx 470, a r9 390, and a r9 280. The 470 and 390 had error code 43 so I decided to start with the 280 which was reported to have lines on the screen but worked. I put this card into my test bench (a modified intel inspiron) and after working on it for an hour, I finally for a 64-bit windows 7 os onto it (before it was windows 7 32 bit where I couldn't fix all the driver issues). I started with the 280 still which didn't show lines, so I upped the resolution and clearly there were dotted white lines across the screen. Because this issue was only with high res, I started with trying to replace the driver which meant I needed to upgrade to windows 10 64 bit. I did this, tried to remove the drivers for the card and upgrade them, but after restarting my bench it wouldn't startup. I figured this was just an issue with the bench because it's new and I haven't worked much with it even as of now. 

This is where things go bad. I decided to ignore my common sense and use my brand-new pc to test these cards. All my best parts surely wouldn't have any issue. So, I install the two cards with error code 43 cards to try to fix them, after being annoyed for an hour, I figure the other one would be easier. I put the card in, launch the pc. I boot in, see that the Microsoft basic driver is how the card is seen, so I try to windows install the drivers. This soon causes my pc to crash and force restart. The card had worse display which I assumed this was all normal. I tried to repair the drivers upon which the entire system crashed. Next time I boot windows gave me the critical process failure error code. After doing a few tests, I try to reinstall a clean bios and a clean os (from my laptop). At this point I took out the card and am just using my main setup. I boot the new bios then try to do the os noticing there are many more hard drive options than I had installed (being one at the time) so I delete them all through the windows install tool, create a new one, format it, then try to install. Windows fails halfway and now the bios gives me an error code similar to "windows failed to boot so restart your pc" where it gives me the same message again. 

This is where I am currently, I have no pc and I'm trying to see if there's a way to set every single component to factory condition without a bios. I have no idea what to do now and need help. This is my pc I just built, and it was very expensive. 

It was a realllly bad idea indeed to put those cards in your new rig, feeling sad for you... 😞

You can't even reinstall a new Windows without errors ? Then you may need to reformat your boot drive on the bench PC (assuming it boots...) and retry

Re old GPUs did you reflash their VBIOSes ? Chances are you got retired mining cards with mining VBIOS installed...

System : AMD R9 5900X / X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 (OCed to CL16)/ RTX3080 Gigabyte EAGLE GPU/ Phanteks P600S case / Customized Watercooling Eisbaer 280mm + Eiswolf2 360mm + VPP755 pump  and 150mm reservoir0.5TB Sabrent Rocket + 2TB WD SN850 NVme Gen4 + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/ 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p Alienware AW3420DW monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse

Have you tried powering your main rig off, pulling the CMOS battery for 30 seconds or so and putting it back in to basically clear the BIOS?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

31 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It was a realllly bad idea indeed to put those cards in your new rig, feeling sad for you... 😞

You can't even reinstall a new Windows without errors ? Then you may need to reformat your boot drive on the bench PC (assuming it boots...) and retry

Re old GPUs did you reflash their VBIOSes ? Chances are you got retired mining cards with mining VBIOS installed...

I will be sure to look into this soon, as far as I could tell though my bench pc due to having the most basic windows 10 couldn't read anything different about the card so I assumed the old owner just bricked them. Couldn't find a way to reflash their vbios for these cards which in retrospect I probably could've looked into more. 

32 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Have you tried powering your main rig off, pulling the CMOS battery for 30 seconds or so and putting it back in to basically clear the BIOS?

I did this and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I got into the bios again and this time when trying to boot from my USB it gave me the error for choosing the wrong usb but right now it's booting in. I will try to install again. 

9 minutes ago, Minever said:

I will be sure to look into this soon, as far as I could tell though my bench pc due to having the most basic windows 10 couldn't read anything different about the card so I assumed the old owner just bricked them. Couldn't find a way to reflash their vbios for these cards which in retrospect I probably could've looked into more. 

Did you try reflashing with ATIWinFlash ? At least did you check their VBIOS version ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 (OCed to CL16)/ RTX3080 Gigabyte EAGLE GPU/ Phanteks P600S case / Customized Watercooling Eisbaer 280mm + Eiswolf2 360mm + VPP755 pump  and 150mm reservoir0.5TB Sabrent Rocket + 2TB WD SN850 NVme Gen4 + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/ 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p Alienware AW3420DW monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Did you try reflashing with ATIWinFlash ? At least did you check their VBIOS version ?

I don't think I did, I have a third computer I will try to get up so I can check this. Currently installing windows on my main pc after deleting every partition so I can't use it again lol. 

20 minutes ago, Minever said:

I don't think I did, I have a third computer I will try to get up so I can check this. Currently installing windows on my main pc after deleting every partition so I can't use it again lol. 

I would have recommended to make a Linux Stick and boot from that, I had some good success in recovering files and entire harddrives when I deleted them (or they deleted themselves, RIP 2TB_Harddrive)

Thanks so much for all the advice. First some updates. 

First, I got both pcs that died to work after deleting partitions which I was able to do after fully clearing cmos. My main pc at the moment seems to be functioning. 

Second, after getting my test bench working I put the r9 280 gpu in the pc and booted it up. It turns out the gpu did have a custom vbios on it so I removed it and replaced it with the manufacturer. I will now be keeping ATI flash for any future used components I get and verifying first. 

Third, the 280 has lines on the display still, will try a drivers update on the test pc before I look into afterburner to see if it helps remove them to up the voltage/lower the clocking. If not, I'll last resort the overheating to see if it revived it. If not, it's not too big a deal. Will try the other gpus on my test bench but seems like I need to get another board for duel display. 

I wonder if clearing the partitions before would've been possible before I did a clean install of windows. Maybe that would've solved the issue. Again, thank you all for the help.