Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KVM switch quality brand?

Billbill

Hello, everyone, I have been surfing a lot looking for a KVM switch.  My desk already has two monitors for two separate computers.  So, I do not have enough room for a third monitor.  I use two separate mice and keyboards.  I have enough room for a third tower.  What I want to do is use the third tower connected to a KVM switch.  I would like to know what a good brand is for a KVM.  I really only need to connect two computers to the KVM, and it needs HDMI input/output.  So far, I've looked at IOGEAR and TESmart brands.  Their prices seem fair.  Yet sometimes the photos look better than the actual product out of the box. 

I also had this question a while back and with KVM's it seems you either get really cheapo branded kvms from amazon , or you can get and overly expensive one from Level1Techs , they cost a lot but are supposedly the best you can get.

They seem to start out around 25 dollars and up to multi thousands of dollars.  I have a very old KVM sitting around but it has VGA, PS/2.  I had thought about some adapters but not sure if that would work so well.   

ignoring the displayport KVM's (i'll address that below..) they're all pretty much equally hit and miss..

it's a matter of doing your homework to see which features they have or lack, and which of those matter to you.

also, any sort of mouse/keyboard that is tied to any sort of software is gonna be too complicated for a KVM that isnt a straight up USB passtrough.

as for the video side of things.. look for EDID cloning.. i bought one without EDID cloning on an oversight, and it's honestly a big ol' mess...

on the topic of displayport KVM's... holy heck.. even startech cant get theirs right.. they pretty much all suck. i have a hunch that (or rather.. you can see by the freaking enclosure it's in) the level1techs KVM is based on the same manufacturer as startech.. which would imply that wendell's ramblings about the firmware are really what it comes down to. if you're in the US and in the market for a displayport KVM, there's really only one sensible option: level1techs. if you buy any other one the chance is more than plausible that you'll just get so annoyed by it that it ends up in a bin.

OK folks I had decided to go with a TEsmart KVM switch.  4X1 so I can control up to 4 computers and use one monitor.  It does have EDID so that's a plus.  I was having an issue with my Alienware keyboard and number lock, caps and scroll lock were not illuminating also multimedia keys did not work.  So, I hooked up my ASUS gaming keyboard to the KVM and everything works on the ASUS keyboard.  The switching is fairly fast.  The mouse scroll wheel is a bit slow, but I'll get used to that. Thanks for your help