Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help rubbing alcohol sipped under my CPU when cleaning off thermal paste.

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

actually deliberately dunking IPA (usually 99%) can be used to clean stuff, i usually spray it onto every single socket/slot as a method of trying to fix dead mobo, usually just a few hours of drying and itll work fine, the lower concentrations than 99% tend to take longer to dry cause more water in it as ive tested this myself by cheaping out on my IPA (totally not worth it cause the waiting time)

Well cleaning off thermal paste was going well and perfect to reapply a better paste. However one of the lint free clothes had  little too much 90% rubbing alcohol on it and it spilled into the edges. I cleaned them off and they all are dry.

So everything seemed dry, but I removed CPU to be sure and low and behold there is a dark wet spot on some of the AM4 socket pins and a dark wet spot on some CPU socket pins.

Can I just use a hair dryer or do I need to let it dry.

Thank god I checked because If I booted PC while it was still wet it probably would be toast.

Is this a serious concern or should it be fine as long as it dries??

As long as its rubbing alcohol it should be fine as long as it dries. You could even just blow on it and that would help it evaporate. That should happen in a matter of minutes but because this is a fairly sensitive area i would wait an hour just to be 150% sure its all evaporated.
Rubbing alcohol is a mixture of ethanol and water so you want to be extra sure its all evaporated since this mixture is conductive.

Once theres no noticeable wet spots that will be good enough

In the future i suggest using 90% isopropanol to clean electronics. this is what i use at work when cleaning solder joints on electronics. 

Update, after removing the CPU and like 10-15 minutes later, the darker spot that were on the motherboard AM4 socket and on some parts of CPU pins are no longer there.

They now look clean and exactly the same.

Does that mean it was a very small amount and it is dry now the fact that dark spots disappeared that fast??

Darn me for putting too much on a cloth overthinking in trying to clean thermal paste and shine the surface as best as possible for new thermal paste and heatsink application.

6 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

As long as its rubbing alcohol it should be fine as long as it dries. You could even just blow on it and that would help it evaporate. That should happen in a matter of minutes but because this is a fairly sensitive area i would wait an hour just to be 150% sure its all evaporated.
Rubbing alcohol is a mixture of ethanol and water so you want to be extra sure its all evaporated since this mixture is conductive.

Once there's no noticeable wet spots that will be good enough

In the future i suggest using 90% isopropanol to clean electronics. this is what i use at work when cleaning solder joints on electronics. 

So blowing on it and waiting an hour should easily be enough to put it back in and it work without risk??

actually deliberately dunking IPA (usually 99%) can be used to clean stuff, i usually spray it onto every single socket/slot as a method of trying to fix dead mobo, usually just a few hours of drying and itll work fine, the lower concentrations than 99% tend to take longer to dry cause more water in it as ive tested this myself by cheaping out on my IPA (totally not worth it cause the waiting time)

25 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Its 91%. How long for that to dry?? Can I  just take a blower and blow on it put it together and call it a day??

5 minutes ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Its 91%. How long for that to dry?? Can I  just take a blower and blow on it put it together and call it a day??

You dont need a blowdryer, just leave it for a day and itll be completely dry, i usually completely soak some area of my board with IPA so i tend to just lay em against the wall with one of the corners touching the floor via a tissue so the ipa dont make a mess, you didnt soak your board so just lay it however you like and cover the socket with something, i use paper or tissues but for amd socket idk id just use an entire tissue to cover the socket and the area surrounding it just like i do when cleaning ram slots

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You dont need a blowdryer, just leave it for a day and itll be completely dry, i usually completely soak some area of my board with IPA so i tend to just lay em against the wall with one of the corners touching the floor via a tissue so the ipa dont make a mess, you didnt soak your board so just lay it however you like and cover the socket with something, i use paper or tissues but for amd socket idk id just use an entire tissue to cover the socket and the area surrounding it just like i do when cleaning ram slots

Do I really need to let it sit a day to be safe. Its been a couple of hours and I really want to get my stress testing done after finally finding a 5900X chip that is a Golden sample on both CCDs per Hydra. I have been so back and forth as I want a good high 4.X GHz manual all core overclock with good IPC with more than 8 good cores. If only Intel made that with Golden Cove which sadly they do not. But Zen 3 chips there is not much binning data so have had to test different things to try and get a great sample 5900X. Its frustrating for sure

Well I blew it with a standard blower for like a couple minutes put it together and it booted and appears fine.

Hopefully it did not degrade the chip to get a worse manual all core overclock.

31 minutes ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Well I put paper towel on CPU AM4 socket for a couple of minutes then blew it with a standard blower on the Data VAC tube vacuum for like a couple minutes both CPU and socket put it together and it booted and appears fine.

So instead of listening to the advice of people that have experience with your situation you decide to go rogue with some expensive hardware just for some overclocking? Hope nothing breaks.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Corsshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 16gb DDR4 3000 CL16 @ 3200 CL16, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster Z, 1tb ADATA SX8200, 1tb Intel 665P, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO, 8tb WB Black, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Dell SFF Optiplex 990, i7 2600, 20gb of random DDR3, MSI GTX 1650, ADATA 240gb SSD, HP laptop Blu-ray drive, 2tb WD Blue HDD (no RGB 😭)

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 800@933, VIA Epia ML-8000a, 1gb of DDR, TNT2 M64 @ 150/170, WD 20GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Seasonic 500w PSU, A case 🤣

6 hours ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Well I blew it with a standard blower for like a couple minutes put it together and it booted and appears fine.

It's fine, no need to worry about it from here and since you indicated the color difference is gone that means it's dried out completely.

It will not degrade the chip in any way, only way it could affect the chip would be to damage or kill it right when you press the power button but that didn't happen and frankly, you're past that point of worry about it now.
The blower was a good call for making it dry out in a short period of time so you could carry on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

It's fine, no need to worry about it from here and since you indicated the color difference is gone that means it's dried out completely.

It will not degrade the chip in any way, only way it could affect the chip would be to damage or kill it right when you press the power button but that didn't happen and frankly, you're past that point of worry about it now.
The blower was a good call for making it dry out in a short period of time so you could carry on.

Yes and if I had actually spilled alcohol form bottle onto it, I would have waited at least a day. But I had a cloth that had a little too much on it and rubbed and a little overflowed to the sides. Then they were easy to dry. I actually had it happen before and assumed it was fine because all sides were dry. And I powered it on and t was fine even though there may have been a little bit of alcohol underneath but it was not enough to make a difference.

This time I saw it after removing CPU and it scared me a bit.

After letting it sit less than an hour it appeared dry but was busy with yard work so let it continue to sit to dry another couple hours.

Then I was ready to start and touched CPU socket with my hands to see if it felt wet at all. It hardly felt wet maybe just barely maybe in a slight spot if at all. Then I put  paper towel on it briefly to soak anything just in case. CPU could could not do that obviously as I do not want to bend the pins or touch them, but shook it over my hand to make sure nothing wet dropped off and nothing did.

Then I just used a blower form a Data VAC vacuum and did it for a few minutes.

Then I just told myself quit being paranoid it was a small amount at worst that got under there from a slight very small soaked part of a cloth after rubbing and it should be dry and just put it together and have fun.

Did s and it is working.

10 hours ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Yes and if I had actually spilled alcohol form bottle onto it, I would have waited at least a day. But I had a cloth that had a little too much on it and rubbed and a little overflowed to the sides. Then they were easy to dry. I actually had it happen before and assumed it was fine because all sides were dry. And I powered it on and t was fine even though there may have been a little bit of alcohol underneath but it was not enough to make a difference.

This time I saw it after removing CPU and it scared me a bit.

After letting it sit less than an hour it appeared dry but was busy with yard work so let it continue to sit to dry another couple hours.

Then I was ready to start and touched CPU socket with my hands to see if it felt wet at all. It hardly felt wet maybe just barely maybe in a slight spot if at all. Then I put  paper towel on it briefly to soak anything just in case. CPU could could not do that obviously as I do not want to bend the pins or touch them, but shook it over my hand to make sure nothing wet dropped off and nothing did.

Then I just used a blower form a Data VAC vacuum and did it for a few minutes.

Then I just told myself quit being paranoid it was a small amount at worst that got under there from a slight very small soaked part of a cloth after rubbing and it should be dry and just put it together and have fun.

Did s and it is working.

It's mostly alcohol, it will evaporate in a few minutes at most.
Setting a fan on it for about 15-20 minutes should take care of it in any case. 😉

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth