High RAM usage while gaming question/help

Hey everyone!

I have a question regarding RAM usage during gaming. I just built my new rig, specs listed below, and I noticed that my RAM, not VRAM, usage is very high while gaming at 1080p Ultra in games like Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. For example, in Shadow of The Tomb Raider, my ram usage began at 10 GB then after 30 minutes of gameplay, it increased to 16 GB and was continually rising. My VRAM usage was not being exceeded and performance was excellent. In Jedi Fallen Order, RAM usage also increased after 30 minutes of gameplay but not at the same rate as Tomb Raider. Is this normal behavior? I was using the RAM in my old rig for years without issue, so I don’t think it’s the ram. I updated Windows, drivers, and the BIOS. I have tweaked CPU settings in the BIOS but not the ram. I also scanned for any malware using Malwarebytes and it reported nothing. Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Justin

Intel i5 12600k

32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz

Asus RTX 3060ti KO

Asus Z690-P Wi-Fi D4

1TB Seagate FireCuda 530

Seasonic 850 watt PSU

It's probably Windows bloat honestly

If you need the extra RAM for other processes and it's really bugging you, you can use a tool that debloats a lot of Windows 10, and removes a lot of unnecessary features like OneDrive, Cortana, and other stuff, but also helps you turn off Microsoft related telemetry. It's just a PowerShell script, you can find it here: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

And if you need help using it a guide can be found here: 

5 minutes ago, bluesummer said:

It's probably Windows bloat honestly

If you need the extra RAM for other processes and it's really bugging you, you can use a tool that debloats a lot of Windows 10, and removes a lot of unnecessary features like OneDrive, Cortana, and other stuff, but also helps you turn off Microsoft related telemetry. It's just a PowerShell script, you can find it here: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

And if you need help using it a guide can be found here: 

Thanks for the resources! I removed a lot of unnecessary Windows bloat after I installed Windows. I will definitely check out the video though. Is the continually rising RAM usage normal from your experience? I was just surprised by how quickly it was rising, 

1 minute ago, Robin in the hood said:

Thanks for the resources! I removed a lot of unnecessary Windows bloat after I installed Windows. I will definitely check out the video though. Is the continually rising RAM usage normal from your experience? I was just surprised by how quickly it was rising, 

Yeah, I'm a 32 GB RAM bro just like you and I have the same problems. Windows in general just tends to be a RAM hog, and there's not much you can do to fix it, yes I know. 

It's nothing to be worried about but you're right to want it lower lmao, it's pretty ridiculous sometimes. Debloating did help the RAM problem for me.

8 minutes ago, bluesummer said:

Yeah, I'm a 32 GB RAM bro just like you and I have the same problems. Windows in general just tends to be a RAM hog, and there's not much you can do to fix it, yes I know. 

It's nothing to be worried about but you're right to want it lower lmao, it's pretty ridiculous sometimes. Debloating did help the RAM problem for me.

I understand, thanks for all the help and information! I was just super stunned to see my RAM usage skyrocket during Tomb Raider after 30 minutes with nothing else opened in the background. I was concerned my mobo or ram was having issues. However, in the back of mind, I thought Windows was likely the issue. So, you experience the same rising RAM issue during gaming? Or was the issue resolved after performing the fixes you suggested?

4 minutes ago, Robin in the hood said:

I understand, thanks for all the help and information! I was just super stunned to see my RAM usage skyrocket during Tomb Raider after 30 minutes with nothing else opened in the background. I was concerned my mobo or ram was having issues. However, in the back of mind, I thought Windows was likely the issue. So, you experience the same rising RAM issue during gaming? Or was the issue resolved after performing the fixes you suggested?

I wouldn't say it was completely fixed, since Windows is always going to be a RAM hog, but it did help mitigate some of the issues I was having so I'd say it's the best possible fix for this. 

3 minutes ago, bluesummer said:

I wouldn't say it was completely fixed, since Windows is always going to be a RAM hog, but it did help mitigate some of the issues I was having so I'd say it's the best possible fix for this. 

I completely understand. Thanks again!

1 minute ago, Robin in the hood said:

I completely understand. Thanks again!

No problem man, happy to help! 🙂

Surprised no-one asked you what process is actually eating the RAM. Blaming Windows is easy, but rising RAM usage isn't and shouldn't be normalized.

Windows like to use RAM, yes. It does this to speed up system processes mostly. But rising RAM usage that doesn't come back down hints at a memory leak in an application or driver. If it's the game process itself, then blaming Windows is counterproductive and you need to raise a flag with the dev team of the game in question. If it's not any process in particular, check out my guide here to see if you can find out what's eating your RAM.

9 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Surprised no-one asked you what process is actually eating the RAM. Blaming Windows is easy, but rising RAM usage isn't and shouldn't be normalized.

Windows like to use RAM, yes. It does this to speed up system processes mostly. But rising RAM usage that doesn't come back down hints at a memory leak in an application or driver. If it's the game process itself, then blaming Windows is counterproductive and you need to raise a flag with the dev team of the game in question. If it's not any process in particular, check out my guide here to see if you can find out what's eating your RAM.

It’s only happening during games like the ones I mentioned above. I have nothing else opened in the background, other than for iCUE and Lian Li’s RGB software. 

1 hour ago, Robin in the hood said:

It’s only happening during games like the ones I mentioned above. I have nothing else opened in the background, other than for iCUE and Lian Li’s RGB software. 

If iCue and the Lian Li software is what's eating your RAM, you can always use OpenRGB which is an open source software which functions the same as both those rolled into one, and is much lighter.