Upgrading pc from bought MSI trident 3 to custom pc

Atilla
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,

Your rig was reviewed by GN Steve (younger at the time lol) and looking at is insides there's near 0 upgradibilty, apart  swapping for some low profile GPUs that are now pretty outdated and weak

And it's 5+ years old with 2400MHZ RAM and a H110 chipset...So well, imho you should dump it all and get a new CPU+mobo+Case+PSU, you should replace RAM as well for 3200MHz one (16GB is enough for gaming), keep only the drives and the GPU, then you can upgrade GPU later on

500 EUR is a bit tight, here's a suggested list that fits but a 12400F would be better (but is a whooping 100EUR more expensive..)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/3wjDJM

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€107.89 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€159.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (€63.88 @ Alternate) 
Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  (€55.00 @ PowerLab) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€54.90 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €441.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-03 19:16 CEST+0200

Budget (including currency): 

500 euro (edit2: can be higher if cpu upgrade needed) 

Belgium

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

League of legends, Modded Minecraft server, Horizon zero dawn, Detroit become human, Rainbow six siege, Valorant, GuildWars 2, ARK, Divinity 2... 

Other details

I bought a MSI trident 3 some years ago (https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Trident-3/Specification). I mainly want to increase my storage and also 'prepare' for future upgrades (gpu mainly but who knows about cpu one day). The trident 3 is a more compact pc which makes looking for upgrades more difficult. I have read about the power supply (my 7th gen has 230W) being limited so that could become difficult for mainly a gpu upgrade I think? I have tried to look up information about that but it is very difficult for me atleast to understand. I don't know how to upgrade my power supply in the sense that I don't know everything about how it works with it just being connected to my motherboard. I am guessing there is a limit to it? At the moment it is for storage but seeing that that increases the power usage it made me think about the future too.

The things I am wondering are:

- Do I need to change my motherboard? What board should I get (would like one with Bluetooth or get it another way)?

- If so what do I need to do? I am guessing I need new ram because my current ram is too small. I need a new case for a bigger board. I am hoping I don't need to change my cpu/gpu. 

- Do I need a new power supply? What is recommended?

I made my current pc (without motherboard because not there) and my 'goal' where I have another ssd and new ram for a potential new board. I did not add a board or a power supply because that is kind of what I don't know.

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jakoep44/saved/#view=JGwHWZ

On a side note, should I stay at 16gb ram or go to 32gb? Since I already need to buy new ones if I need another board? Only reason I am thinking about it, is for my minecraft server that takes a lot more than I sometimes can give.

Edit: thanks for the help in advance! Sorry that this might look dumb 🙂

I would say that you'd be better served with CPU upgrade than RAM upgrade. The DDR4 DIMMS are fine for an upgrade. With the growing pains of DDR5, I wouldn't recommend it yet unless you are a sucker for being a guinea pig and paying an early adopter tax.

Your rig was reviewed by GN Steve (younger at the time lol) and looking at is insides there's near 0 upgradibilty, apart  swapping for some low profile GPUs that are now pretty outdated and weak

And it's 5+ years old with 2400MHZ RAM and a H110 chipset...So well, imho you should dump it all and get a new CPU+mobo+Case+PSU, you should replace RAM as well for 3200MHz one (16GB is enough for gaming), keep only the drives and the GPU, then you can upgrade GPU later on

500 EUR is a bit tight, here's a suggested list that fits but a 12400F would be better (but is a whooping 100EUR more expensive..)

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€107.89 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€159.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (€63.88 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€54.90 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €441.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-03 19:16 CEST+0200

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Basically non upgradable unless you had the version that came with a gtx 1070, because the 1050/1060 has not only a proprietary motherboard, but it also has a hard power limit that the 1070 option doesn’t have.

its H110 and it tops out at the i7 7700, also by power limit even if you wanted to toss a 7700K in there for whatever reason.

Ram and storage are about all that can be changed.

Sell it and spend the money + savings on a whole new system.

This right here is why prebuilts are hard to recommend, especially non standard ones, you bought a machine years ago and now instead of being able to squeeze a little more performance out of it, you’re stuck with something that has no upgrade path and even limits you from reusing the majority of its parts.

Already thanks for your help. I did not expect the need to change CPU so if that is something you really recommend, I can use a bigger budget since what I wrote was mainly for moobo+case+PSU+RAM. 

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

So I can go for some higher priced CPU's but I would really really have no clue what would be the best for my situation. Lets say I stay with 16gb ram being the one you gave. What mobo+cpu combo should I go for? I really can add a random budget here but let's just say I prefer it being in the hundreds without mention of GPU. 

What I know was given to me some time ago when I wanted to get a totally new pc instead of holding some parts, was the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x.  (https://be.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box). But that was a whole other conversation since I don't know how changing CPU brand would impact my OS? Really could use some advise/info on CPU's with this subject. 

8 minutes ago, 8tg said:

This right here is why prebuilts are hard to recommend, especially non standard ones, you bought a machine years ago and now instead of being able to squeeze a little more performance out of it, you’re stuck with something that has no upgrade path and even limits you from reusing the majority of its parts.

That could be an option as well. Indeed especially this being a non standard one, it makes it really hard for me. I already regretted it when I was checking for my ram upgrade. 

edit: Also, wouldn't know how much to sell it for or my storage will need to be stored somewhere (or already new pc or some cloud I guess?). Idk if selling separate parts (cpu, ram, maybe case/mobo who knows) will be easier or the whole pc at once

1 hour ago, Atilla said:

Already thanks for your help. I did not expect the need to change CPU so if that is something you really recommend, I can use a bigger budget since what I wrote was mainly for moobo+case+PSU+RAM. 

So I can go for some higher priced CPU's but I would really really have no clue what would be the best for my situation. Lets say I stay with 16gb ram being the one you gave. What mobo+cpu combo should I go for? I really can add a random budget here but let's just say I prefer it being in the hundreds without mention of GPU. 

What I know was given to me some time ago when I wanted to get a totally new pc instead of holding some parts, was the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x.  (https://be.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box). But that was a whole other conversation since I don't know how changing CPU brand would impact my OS? Really could use some advise/info on CPU's with this subject. 

3700X was good...2 years ago, don't get one or very cheap

Given that you don't have that much budget, I think that the best perf/price currently are the 12400 (200EUR) or 12600K (300EUR), or the 5600X if you can find one for 200EUR (comparable performance to a 12400, but cheaper mobo so overall cost a bit less)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

3700X was good...2 years ago, don't get one or very cheap

Given that you don't have that much budget, I think that the best perf/price currently are the 12400 (200EUR) or 12600K (300EUR), or the 5600X if you can find one for 200EUR (comparable performance to a 12400, but cheaper mobo so overall cost a bit less)

I think I'm going for a 12400F. The only thing I now am debating is the mobo. I have a surround sound system in my room and my current pc was not granting me the full potential on audio. How does the MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard fair? All other aspects seem fine but it seems limited on that. Just wondering because the given one only has the 3 inputs for l-in l-out and mic? Any knowledge if there is a better option or should I stay with this?

(also I changed my power supply is or was the given one really needed?)

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jakoep44/saved/#view=V2fRVn

Current average price I found was €631.82 but I can try to look for cheaper parts after I know for sure.
Sadly I am basically getting a new pc because of the limitation I set myself in for in the past. Last thing will be a GPU end of year but depending on how bad I will feel this in my pockets I might get an RTX2060 6GB or is that a bad idea? (which would bring everything to a cost of exactly €1000)

This would be about the same price as your list but the cpu price went up

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/zRyNv3

Sticking with the 12400f

Mobo for around the same price that's better

Cheapest kit of 16gb

1tb for around the same price

Most mesh front cases would be fine

750 for future upgradibility

For gpus I'd recommend something like a 6600 from amd if you can find one at a reasonable price. It would perform way better than a 2060

1 hour ago, Ryuikko said:

This would be about the same price as your list but the cpu price went up

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/zRyNv3

Sticking with the 12400f

Mobo for around the same price that's better

Cheapest kit of 16gb

1tb for around the same price

Most mesh front cases would be fine

750 for future upgradibility

For gpus I'd recommend something like a 6600 from amd if you can find one at a reasonable price. It would perform way better than a 2060

It looks interesting. The 12400F I find for €164 so thats nice. The case seems fine either way my chosen one or this one. PSU, RAM sure. I found a RX 6600 for €400 which is 30 more than the RTX 2060 I found so that's nice. 

The price of the SSD is insane and I see mostly positive things about it. So I guess it is a nice deal for same price of 500gb? Thing is, it is definitely a lot extra storage but I guess it is worth it?

About the mobo, I know NOTHING about mobo's so same question as above really: 

1 hour ago, Atilla said:

I have a surround sound system in my room and my current pc was not granting me the full potential on audio. How does the (given mobo) fair? All other aspects seem fine but it seems limited on that. Just wondering because the given one only has the 3 inputs for l-in l-out and mic? Any knowledge if there is a better option or should I stay with this?

In total I am at €1030 with a double the SSD storage and a better GPU. So that seems nice.

edit: Thanks already!

On 7/4/2022 at 12:25 AM, Atilla said:

I think I'm going for a 12400F. The only thing I now am debating is the mobo. I have a surround sound system in my room and my current pc was not granting me the full potential on audio. How does the MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard fair? All other aspects seem fine but it seems limited on that. Just wondering because the given one only has the 3 inputs for l-in l-out and mic? Any knowledge if there is a better option or should I stay with this?

(also I changed my power supply is or was the given one really needed?)

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jakoep44/saved/#view=V2fRVn

Current average price I found was €631.82 but I can try to look for cheaper parts after I know for sure.
Sadly I am basically getting a new pc because of the limitation I set myself in for in the past. Last thing will be a GPU end of year but depending on how bad I will feel this in my pockets I might get an RTX2060 6GB or is that a bad idea? (which would bring everything to a cost of exactly €1000)

Mmm, unfortunately I'm a total noob regarding audio... The MSI board I've recommended is the best one at low price, but no idea if the audio is good or not..Usually Gigabyte use "better" audio chips but on their midrange Aorus lineup , dunno about the lower DS3H

Your PSU is okayish, not great but will do the job as long as you don't have a power hog GPU, really you could get a 750Wish one to be able to upgrade later (PSU have long livespan usually), the TXM 750W that another poster suggested is fine

22 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Mmm, unfortunately I'm a total noob regarding audio... The MSI board I've recommended is the best one at low price, but no idea if the audio is good or not..Usually Gigabyte use "better" audio chips but on their midrange Aorus lineup , dunno about the lower DS3H

Your PSU is okayish, not great but will do the job as long as you don't have a power hog GPU, really you could get a 750Wish one to be able to upgrade later (PSU have long livespan usually), the TXM 750W that another poster suggested is fine

Well I have bought everything today and I'm pretty happy. I come at €1040. Got the MSI PRO B660M-A because in the end I searched A LOT on boards and audio/bluetooth aside it is way better for me for that price. Also got the 12400F + RX 6600 and the given 750PSU from someone else here. Got other RAM a bit cheaper than under here. The ssd looked

nice, I hope it will be fine it is very cheap for 1GB. Other case which I liked more and seemed to be received well.

I did not get the cooler yet because I do not know when I need one. I won't OC (I think this cpu can't even do that not sure). So if any input could be given on that, it would be nice.
BUT; this is it. No more searching I'm tired hahaha. A lot of hours/days searched on it. Everything but cooler is bought.

Thanks for all the help to everyone, idk what to mark 'a solution' of the many or how to show how helpful this was. But thanks @PDifolco @Ryuikko @8tg!

(gonna look what to do with my trident 3. Gonna take the hdd out to keep (maybe the sdd after I'm done). So I guess sell the other stuff together/separate (cpu, ram, gpu, case)? Idk if I can use the gpu as second? Will probably make another post on it later on the forum.) 

The pc did served me well and it was a very big learning experience (pro's and con's on prebuild + more compact build)! 

EDIT: gpu was 379 instead of 399, found it cheaper! (final price: €1019.53)

image.thumb.png.11d1ef345e65c01c7cc7e6b2845661e8.png

1 minute ago, Atilla said:

Well I have bought everything today and I'm pretty happy. I come at €1040. Got the MSI PRO B660M-A because in the end I searched A LOT on boards and audio/bluetooth aside it is way better for me for that price. Also got the 12400F + RX 6600 and the given 750PSU from someone else here. Got other RAM a bit cheaper than under here. The ssd looked

nice, I hope it will be fine it is very cheap for 1GB. Other case which I liked more and seemed to be received well.

I did not get the cooler yet because I do not know when I need one. I won't OC (I think this cpu can't even do that not sure). So if any input could be given on that, it would be nice.
BUT; this is it. No more searching I'm tired hahaha. A lot of hours/days searched on it. Everything but cooler is bought.

Thanks for all the help to everyone, idk what to mark 'a solution' of the many or how to show how helpful this was. But thanks @PDifolco @Ryuikko @8tg!

(gonna look what to do with my trident 3. Gonna take the hdd out to keep (maybe the sdd after I'm done). So I guess sell the other stuff together/separate (cpu, ram, gpu, case)? Idk if I can use the gpu as second? Will probably make another post on it later on the forum.) 

The pc did served me well and it was a very big learning experience (pro's and con's on prebuild + more compact build)! 

image.thumb.png.11d1ef345e65c01c7cc7e6b2845661e8.png

Cool, enjoy man ! And thx 🙂

Re cooler it's not required but you get better temps and less noise with a $30ish cooler like Deepcool Gammax 400, Arctic 34 or CM Hyper 212

On 7/3/2022 at 10:37 AM, 8tg said:

Basically non upgradable unless you had the version that came with a gtx 1070, because the 1050/1060 has not only a proprietary motherboard, but it also has a hard power limit that the 1070 option doesn’t have.

its H110 and it tops out at the i7 7700, also by power limit even if you wanted to toss a 7700K in there for whatever reason.

Ram and storage are about all that can be changed.

I can confirm this.  My Trident 3 (7th generation) is a PCB (motherboard) version 1.  It can not accept a PSU (power supply) larger than 230 watts.

I have upgraded my GTX 1060 3GB to a GTX 1070 8GB and it was a huge improvement.

But...

I purchased an RTX 3060 12 GB and it requires a 330 watt PSU (power supply).

My issue is that my motherboard is version 1.

You must have version 2.1 motherboard for it to accept a PSU larger than 230 watts.

So I am in desperate need now to find a 2.1 version motherboard to upgrade my Trident 3 with.